Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #46,037 of 150,444
I can attest to one of these. black bimby is enroute to this philestine thanks to the recommendations on this forum.

I do the same thing. I call them my "licensing artifacts". If you get rid of the original CD, you're supposed to delete all digital copies. By keeping the archive of the originals, I stay on the right side of the law. Or at least that's what I tell my wife :wink:

Plus occasionally it's nice to flip through a CD booklet, or check the mastering code on the actual disc itself [off-topic side hobby: chasing "best" masterings of certain CDs. tldr: if they were good to begin with, people wouldn't look for better ones]

I spent the majority of my working life with my salary paid as a result of charging for intellectual property, so I try really hard to respect that others work to achieve that too. The music (and studio/video) labels are the hardest to swallow that pill for. They appear capricious at best in terms of their distribution and licensing policies.

But the artists are generally worthy, so I rip stuff and keep my CDs. Ditto for software. And some do really right by customers. I'm editing videos for 'er indoors upcoming book, and Apple updated Final Cut. The upgrade to the video course I use (from larryjordan.com) cost $12.95! Tremendous. If you are into video editing, Larry is your man!

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #46,038 of 150,444
I'm aware of HDtracks of course, and have bought music there, but their catalog is fairly limited and often doesn't have what I'm looking for. To this day my solution is still to buy the physical CD and rip it myself, but since I rarely spin the disc itself anymore it would be nice to cut the physical packaging/waste out of the equation.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #46,039 of 150,444
I'm aware of HDtracks of course, and have bought music there, but their catalog is fairly limited and often doesn't have what I'm looking for. To this day my solution is still to buy the physical CD and rip it myself, but since I rarely spin the disc itself anymore it would be nice to cut the physical packaging/waste out of the equation.

Qobuz has besides the streaming platform a full fledged online store with lossless and hires files which is by far better stocked than the HDTracks store. At least in Europe. I‘m not sure if it is available in the US and Canada too. The quality is decent and sometimes cheaper than buying the physical media and rip it yourself.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #46,041 of 150,444
I rediscovered this post this morning, while drinking coffee, musing about my new toy arriving tomorrow, and wondering how I can keep a class full of teenagers occupied. It might be a year old, but I finally actually read it. @Rensek , you made some astute observations (that are more useful here, instead of Facebook). Do you think Schiit's considered your ideas in their strategic planning? {{{edit: Mr. Stoddard commented later in that thread about increasing [stock?] tube prices for the Valhalla 2... and how he feels they're more successful with hybrid-tube amps. I wonder what current product [or future?] is an ideal combination of their Asgard 2.x & Valhalla 2? Or, is modularity just a wiser [and more lucrative... yes, Schiit has the right to make profit] business plan?}}}

Thanks, I had forgotten about this post. I was probably listening to music, drinking whisky, and streaming consciousness when I wrote it. Maybe I should keep a journal to both remind myself sometimes I can seem
halfway intelligent, but other times I'm a dunderhead as well.

I doubt it had any significant impact on their strategy. If it did maybe they can send me some coasters and/or a t shirt :)

I would imagine market data and actual sales numbers drive most of their strategy. The (sometimes) half formed drivel that gets spouted here is probably more comic relief for Jason and Mike, then anything else.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #46,042 of 150,444
I would imagine market data and actual sales numbers drive most of their strategy. The (sometimes) half formed drivel that gets spouted here is probably more comic relief for Jason and Mike, then anything else.
Agreed :) . BUT... I think that business decisions can be based on "quality of life", not only for the owners, but employees and staff.

Let me explain...

My wife owns and runs a dog treat company that uses human grade, all natural, GMO verified ingredients. Being deaf, she watched her service dog basically die a long painful death from food allergies. Dogs don't process corn, sucrose, wheat and many other ingredients that make up the "food" that we give our pets - (may as well feed them sand, or sawdust) .....

We started 4Legz on that ideal, and have seen robust growth since. We've seen a LOT of the issues that Jason and Mike have written about, although certainly not on that scale (we sell through independent pet store, etc - buying dog treatz online is not quite the same as buying audio schiit).

Back to my point - we get asked to do a lot of things, and we generally want to do the right thing by our customers, BUT at times we developed a product that was a hassle to make, or caused export issues (honey), etc etc.

SO when someone makes a "business" decision - it's may well not be separate from doing what's right by the customer :)

/john

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #46,043 of 150,444
Qobuz has besides the streaming platform a full fledged online store with lossless and hires files which is by far better stocked than the HDTracks store. At least in Europe. I‘m not sure if it is available in the US and Canada too. The quality is decent and sometimes cheaper than buying the physical media and rip it yourself.

7digital is another place with a better variety than hdtracks. Though, for 16/44.1 stuff, it’s usually still cheaper to just buy the CD and rip it.

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #46,045 of 150,444
Anyone else notice massdrop changed their name to "drop.com" today?

Used to be a group buying site, then a commerce platform, now they are a "product company" (their words paraphrased).

From my standpoint, and keeping an eye on their site, they went from not listening to their user base, to ignoring their user base, to fleecing their user base for every last penny, and ultimately to, we think we can make more money without you all. Same products, higher prices, less community input. Granted this is their company they can do whatever they want. Just my viewpoint.

Can't say I won't ever buy anything from them again, but it will be awhile....

Hoping Schiit keeps on keeping on.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #46,046 of 150,444
Yggy is here! And out of the box it‘s already an improvement over the Auralic Altairs DAC. This keeps getting better? Crazy Schiit! :beyersmile:

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #46,047 of 150,444
I'm wondering if Schiit has an incoming announcement on Bifrost? Maybe it's just a bug, but Bifrost multibit seems to only be available in black, regular Bifrost is still available in both colors.

And that...is how our rumors are born...I swear the latest firmware upgrade and the current production Modi 3 MB sounds so similar to what I remember of the Gungnir MB, I want to call this Gumby, Jr. (Terrible custody battle over the name, so watch @Ripper2860 come out to claim it...which is true--he created the Norse Mythos about a Gumby, Jr.) but just listening to it has convinced something special is going on.
I am still curious about Black... one wrote in these forums that Black covered bad metal, but it could have more to do with--we can, why don't we.

You could order the Silver and pay for the Multibit upgrade:L3000::grinning:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #46,048 of 150,444
And that...is how our rumors are born...I swear the latest firmware upgrade and the current production Modi 3 MB sounds so similar to what I remember of the Gungnir MB, I want to call this Gumby, Jr. (Terrible custody battle over the name, so watch @Ripper2860 come out to claim it...which is true--he created the Norse Mythos about a Gumby, Jr.) but just listening to it has convinced something special is going on.
Ridiculous as it seems that you could be comparing two DACs one of which is 8% the price of the other... I never heard a Gumby, but damn Modi 3 is good.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #46,049 of 150,444
Anyone else notice massdrop changed their name to "drop.com" today?.....{snip}....Used to be a group buying site, then a commerce platform, now they are a "product company" (their words paraphrased)......{snip}....From my standpoint, and keeping an eye on their site, they went from not listening to their user base, to ignoring their user base, to fleecing their user base for every last penny, and ultimately to, we think we can make more money without you all. Same products, higher prices, less community input. Granted this is their company they can do whatever they want. Just my viewpoint......{snip}......Can't say I won't ever buy anything from them again, but it will be awhile....{snip}......Hoping Schiit keeps on keeping on.
I think John Darko did an interview (2018, see link) and the business model of Massdrop and Schiit Audio Limited was brought up. I purchased their HD6XX, as it was significantly cheaper than me buying a Sennheiser from a Canadian vendor (when @jude did his review of the product, THAT helped me make a decision too [thanks, eh]). When my 'phone jack shorted out, they promptly credited my account. Those cans are my favourite headphone to wrap around my melon-head. :ksc75smile:

I sincerely hope drop dot com can get ahead of any issues. The York Region Police force (north of Toronto) have a motto, that I'm appreciating more and more as I age: Deeds Speak.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #46,050 of 150,444
I think John Darko did an interview (2018, see link) and the business model of Massdrop and Schiit Audio Limited was brought up. I purchased their HD6XX, as it was significantly cheaper than me buying a Sennheiser from a Canadian vendor (when @jude did his review of the product, THAT helped me make a decision too [thanks, eh]). When my 'phone jack shorted out, they promptly credited my account. Those cans are my favourite headphone to wrap around my melon-head. :ksc75smile:

I sincerely hope drop dot com can get ahead of any issues. The York Region Police force (north of Toronto) have a motto, that I'm appreciating more and more as I age: Deeds Speak.
Same story here, very happy with my HD6xx. Would never bought 650s for regular price or 100€ discount. And these work so nice with the Vali!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back