Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #46,006 of 151,330
All these years I just wished that they (or anybody really) would offer the option to download a FLAC when purchasing a digital audio file instead of only offering MP3. I get their angle...... customer friendliness and not wanting to have to explain the choice to people who don't know what it is, but they could hide the option away in the account settings somewhere and people like me who want it would find it and be happy for it.

There are MANY places that do, I only buy Flac for download. What sort of music are you looking for?

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #46,007 of 151,330
All these years I just wished that they (or anybody really) would offer the option to download a FLAC when purchasing a digital audio file instead of only offering MP3. I get their angle...... customer friendliness and not wanting to have to explain the choice to people who don't know what it is, but they could hide the option away in the account settings somewhere and people like me who want it would find it and be happy for it.
There are MANY places that do, I only buy Flac for download. What sort of music are you looking for?
Exactly.

A few examples:
HD Tracks
Qobuz with ~50% off if you get Sublime+ (most expensive option but really saves money if you buy as well as stream)

A little googling can find many more options.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #46,008 of 151,330
One can never have enough tubes, and they should be lit. My latest headphone stand build, the tubes are replaceable. Tubes in the Freya are CBS Hytrons and Westinghouse at the moment.

Is that an 807 on the right? The 807 is my favorite output tube of all time. Rugged little bugger with that beautiful plate cap on top.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #46,009 of 151,330
Is that an 807 on the right? The 807 is my favorite output tube of all time. Rugged little bugger with that beautiful plate cap on top.

The lettering is not easy to make out, I believe it is a 6BG6. I was supposed to be buying dud tubes and was given a working RCA JAN CRC 6as7G as well as a 7n7 tallboy loctal (6sn7 cross). I tried over driving the filaments but LED's are easier and everything is self contained. I cannot take credit for the design, a gentleman in Ohio made one in walnut, but I wanted to use up some quartered oak and light the tubes on mine.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #46,010 of 151,330
The lettering is not easy to make out, I believe it is a 6BG6. I was supposed to be buying dud tubes and was given a working RCA JAN CRC 6as7G as well as a 7n7 tallboy loctal (6sn7 cross). I tried over driving the filaments but LED's are easier and everything is self contained. I cannot take credit for the design, a gentleman in Ohio made one in walnut, but I wanted to use up some quartered oak and light the tubes on mine.

I love the look of your stand. The LEDs light it up nicely in the picture without making things warm.

If I recall correctly, the 6BG6 is almost identical to an 807 - both of which were derived from the 6L6, resorting to the plate cap on top to get the plate voltage limit above 700V. The 6BG6 has an octal base, the 807 is a 5 pin base. The 6BG6 was used as a horizontal output tube in early color TV sets.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #46,011 of 151,330
I love the look of your stand. The LEDs light it up nicely in the picture without making things warm.

If I recall correctly, the 6BG6 is almost identical to an 807 - both of which were derived from the 6L6, resorting to the plate cap on top to get the plate voltage limit above 700V. The 6BG6 has an octal base, the 807 is a 5 pin base. The 6BG6 was used as a horizontal output tube in early color TV sets.

Good eye, this is definitely an octal and a 6BG6G. I have a bunch of extra octal sockets so that is what I went with. I figured the more pins the better since I was mounting them horizontally. :smile_phones: IMG_0766.jpg

I kept thinking amber LED's would be the way to go but orange match the tubes in my Cary better.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #46,012 of 151,330
One can never have enough tubes, and they should be lit. My latest headphone stand build, the tubes are replaceable. Tubes in the Freya are CBS Hytrons and Westinghouse at the moment.

So nice to see a post from you again!

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #46,013 of 151,330
Apr 27, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #46,014 of 151,330
Cool, didn't want to you to introduce a new variable, there is ModiMB V1/V2 though-- V2 has a nicer relaxed presentation-- can hear into the soundstage. Bifrost still going to be better no doubt, but not an all out slaughter vs: V1. & maybe you've seen my posts on the dark forum, the bifrost's the little gem w/direct i2s and no reclocking :wink:

The current multibit Bifrost does indeed kick the current Modi Multibit's butt. It does a much better job with details and is not as bright up top. The big difference is how the latest Bifrost handles complex passages compared to the latest Modi Multibit. The difference isn't small. It nothing like how close the original multibit Bifrost and original Modi Multibit were. They are quite different now.

Apr 27, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #46,015 of 151,330
The current multibit Bifrost does indeed kick the current Modi Multibit's butt. It does a much better job with details and is not as bright up top. The big difference is how the latest Bifrost handles complex passages compared to the latest Modi Multibit. The difference isn't small. It nothing like how close the original multibit Bifrost and original Modi Multibit were. They are quite different now.

Winders, I wonder how many bifrosts have been Sold in the past 2-3 months because of your posts extolling its virtues.

Hopefully you get a commission of some type.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #46,016 of 151,330
No commission....it's just a great DAC for the price. The Modi Multibit is also a great DAC for the price. But the Bifrost Multibit does just enough to put it at a whole different level. I put the Bifrost Multibit in my 2 channel setup just for grins. Now, it was not better than the my DirectStream, but I sure could live with it there for a while if I needed to.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #46,017 of 151,330
Just out of curiosity, has anyone at Schiit admitted to there being any changes to the Multibit Bifrost?

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #46,018 of 151,330
Just out of curiosity, has anyone at Schiit admitted to there being any changes to the Multibit Bifrost?

Do you mean sound quality changes? No, they don't seem to acknowledge those. E.G., the public position on the firmware update for the Modi Multibit is that there is no sound quality difference.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #46,019 of 151,330
Good eye, this is definitely an octal and a 6BG6G. I have a bunch of extra octal sockets so that is what I went with. I figured the more pins the better since I was mounting them horizontally. :smile_phones:

I kept thinking amber LED's would be the way to go but orange match the tubes in my Cary better.
Nice to see you back on the forum, Tom! It appears that you have collected a wide variety of 6sn7 tubes.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #46,020 of 151,330
IMG_0744.jpg Thanks Sam, and I doubt you will believe what my favorite is. I have four tube amps and a pre-amp that can use the 6sn7, some by using adapters. I have tried single triode pairs such as 6J5's and 7a4's. I have tried black glass RCA, Bad Boy Sylvanias, black glass Ken-RADs, VT 231's, VT 192's in pairs, etc. My favorite overall is a specific Russian military tube, the Melz 1578, 6H8C. You have to be careful to look for certain characteristics when you buy them but when they hit the market, they go fast for around $100 each, NOS. Ten friends have bought them and all consider the tube to be outstanding, as best I know from talking to them. There are plenty of quality tubes I like but this particular one is pretty special.IMG_0476.jpg I generally use a Vali 2 or Aune for listening to such tubes (with adapter) and another interesting tube is the tall body 7n7 a loktal, an early version of the 6sn7.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    500.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back