Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #45,886 of 150,446
Then I‘ll try both as soon as the Yggy becomes available again in Europe and had a decent warm up period.
You know, I had considered the Altair at a certain point but thought it had no digital outputs, so passed it by. Shows you what marketing can screw up sometimes :wink:

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #45,887 of 150,446
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #45,888 of 150,446
You know, I had considered the Altair at a certain point but thought it had no digital outputs, so passed it by. Shows you what marketing can screw up sometimes :wink:

Buying the Altair was basically a spur of the moment thing due to a really bad week and free cash available. I did not plan to use it in my headphone setup since I already had the Mini integrated and needed some decent Streaming-DAC for my living room setup. But when I switched to the HD800 I came back to questioning the Questyles DAC in terms of resolution and tried the Altairs internal DAC hooked up to the Questyles Amp section. And boy, that gave a real push in terms of resolution and micro details especially with classical music. The next question was: can I get more? Entering Yggy...

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #45,889 of 150,446
Buying the Altair was basically a spur of the moment thing due to a really bad week and free cash available. I did not plan to use it in my headphone setup since I already had the Mini integrated and needed some decent Streaming-DAC for my living room setup. But when I switched to the HD800 I came back to questioning the Questyles DAC in terms of resolution and tried the Altairs internal DAC hooked up to the Questyles Amp section. And boy, that gave a real push in terms of resolution and micro details especially with classical music. The next question was: can I get more? Entering Yggy...

Yggdrasil will really open up the potential of the HD800.
My wow moment came when I upgraded Gungnir to Gumby ... the MB technology revealed previously-unheard music details to me.
:)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #45,891 of 150,446
2C2C9D2A-DFFF-4A58-8D65-DBC18D111BBF.jpeg I regret going out for drinks after work and not being able to properly open these bad boys up

Edit: grammar check lol

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #45,893 of 150,446
Giant boxes with my favorite tape, could it be mono blocks?

Idea for Jason: Sell rolls of this tape! The sell job writes itself:

Moving? Make sure your Schiit is securely packed and your boxes sealed with this unique tape. Tape is like cables. Whether or not you believe your boxes will be held shut better with our tape, or with some other kind made of woven unicorn hair held together with fairy spit that sells for $100 a foot, is not for us to judge. Your ears, you decide.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #45,894 of 150,446
Idea for Jason: Sell rolls of this tape! The sell job writes itself:

Moving? Make sure your Schiit is securely packed and your boxes sealed with this unique tape. Tape is like cables. Whether or not you believe your boxes will be held shut better with our tape, or with some other kind made of woven unicorn hair held together with fairy spit that sells for $100 a foot, is not for us to judge. Your ears, you decide.

LOL ... love it :)

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #45,895 of 150,446
Ever since Jason Stoddard suggested that the EITR 'might' be pulled from the product line a few weeks ago, I have wanted to buy another one. Neither Schiit UK or Dutch distributors have had them for weeks. I thought it might be a problem with short supply of the EU power supply, so I continue to wait.

This is a wonderful USB-S/PDIF device and would be a pity if it were no longer available ... but I understand the potential business reason.

I have recently taken to injecting 5v directly to the USB-B plug from an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1 (suggested by a member on another forum), thereby isolating the bus power from the Mac .... and the results in both my systems are quite revealing. I'm not sure why there should be a resulting SQ difference, given the levels of isolation that exist in the design.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #45,896 of 150,446
Ever since Jason Stoddard suggested that the EITR 'might' be pulled from the product line a few weeks ago, I have wanted to buy another one. Neither Schiit UK or Dutch distributors have had them for weeks. I thought it might be a problem with short supply of the EU power supply, so I continue to wait.

This is a wonderful USB-S/PDIF device and would be a pity if it were no longer available ... but I understand the potential business reason.

I have recently taken to injecting 5v directly to the USB-B plug from an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1 (suggested by a member on another forum), thereby isolating the bus power from the Mac .... and the results in both my systems are quite revealing. I'm not sure why there should be a resulting SQ difference, given the levels of isolation that exist in the design.

First, we share in your National grief over Notre Dame. I asked Schiit a couple of weeks ago about the EITR being discontinued, and my contact said that was not in the immediate future. I think we will see them until the Unison USB is ready to go. (I thought the last huge B-stock listing would have a few EITRs...no such luck)

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #45,897 of 150,446
I think we will see them until the Unison USB is ready to go

Thank-you ... a sad event indeed.

I also recall it being said that there are no current plans to produce a Unison version of the EITR ... IOW, this will be a card-based product in new DACs and (hopefully) upgrades.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #45,898 of 150,446
Thank-you ... a sad event indeed.

I also recall it being said that there are no current plans to produce a Unison version of the EITR ... IOW, this will be a card-based product in new DACs and (hopefully) upgrades.
Seems I read that also. Unless there are just too many products (?)
I can't see why they would discontinue it--even without the new USB--as many of us want what it does.
I would rather have an EITR than the RasPi/Allo DigiOne SPDIF transport and at the current price, it is about what the RasPi/Allo costs to put together assuming you include a case and a clean power supply. Fewer cables, hassle, and networking issues with an EITR.
I would love the convenience of just running a USB cable from the server, and still, use the Coaxial Digital connection on the Modi.
I am just figuring that I can wait till b-stock becomes available.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #45,899 of 150,446
931C1CF2-C030-4AB7-A711-B6452618DAB9.jpeg 95326B63-285C-4D19-AD3C-5F5DB048ECA1.jpeg
Giant boxes with my favorite tape, could it be mono blocks?

Yes. 2 Aegirs.
I did a temporary setup.
A quick listen and I must say I am very much impressed.
I will be back for a good review.

Thanks to SLT (dealer in SG) for helping me get a Freya. Always helpful. Most of my Schiit I get from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back