Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #45,916 of 151,594
do you plan to post any APx555 reports for your amps. Just curious.
Like these?:
Monoblock
vidar 8 ohm mono.jpg
Stereo
vidar 8 ohm stereo.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #45,917 of 151,594
Hey all

Emotiva reminded me why I needed to pay more attention to my home theater. Time for some upgrades there. (Note: this DOES NOT mean we're going to be doing home theater products. I use Emotiva.)

All the best,
Jason

@Jason Stoddard - Not to get too far off-topic, but what impressed you most about the Emotiva HT gear? New amps, their speaker line? (I've heard their big center channel is awfully good)

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #45,919 of 151,594
......{snip}......What's maybe more interesting is what happened before and after the show; an ongoing customer support issue involving me and a new Cookshack smoker....{snip}.......Rina bought one for me, a top of the line Americue.
........{snip}..........The moral? There isn't really one. Other than, well, sometimes things aren't perfect. And most of the times that's OK. Stay calm, try to smile...and things will work out....{snip}.....
My dad used an old fridge to make a smoker... damn thing caught on fire. Go purpose-built... not DIY. Americue?! I remember there being a smoker called "The Little Chief". Yikes. That is all... :)

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #45,920 of 151,594
clique
/klēk,klik/
noun
noun: clique; plural noun: cliques
a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.

So you are happy in your little insular club bubble, Good for you, Enjoy!

I will not be visiting this site again, because I am too OLD for FAN BOY CLUBS, so ENJOY!
That was easy...only three posts, and after displaying his lack of Netiquette, and use of online dictionaries, he is too old for "Fanboys".
Thanks for the wisdom to leave where you are not feely all warm and fuzzy...

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #45,921 of 151,594
@Jason Stoddard - Not to get too far off-topic, but what impressed you most about the Emotiva HT gear? New amps, their speaker line? (I've heard their big center channel is awfully good)

I use an XMC-1, which is a great-sounding surround processor. I also use an XPA-5 5-channel amp.

Why not use Vidars or Aegirs? Mainly because:

1. They take up more space.
2. They put out more heat, and summer is hot where we are.
3. I already have the Emotiva, I've had it since before Vidar was introduced.
4. I can sell the Vidars I'd use to you instead!

Visiting them reminded me that I needed to tune up my very old Odeon speakers, one of which had some coil rub. They're fixed now, and the system sounds fantastic.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #45,922 of 151,594
In other news, an Aegir internal photo is up. Sorry for the delay. Expect similar delays on most of the new product intros; we're frequently shooting empty chassis, rather than finished products. No worries, we'll always get the internal photos up eventually.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #45,924 of 151,594
I use an XMC-1, which is a great-sounding surround processor. I also use an XPA-5 5-channel amp.

Why not use Vidars or Aegirs? Mainly because:

1. They take up more space.
2. They put out more heat, and summer is hot where we are.
3. I already have the Emotiva, I've had it since before Vidar was introduced.
4. I can sell the Vidars I'd use to you instead!

Visiting them reminded me that I needed to tune up my very old Odeon speakers, one of which had some coil rub. They're fixed now, and the system sounds fantastic.

I started with an XPA-5 as well, but since I listen to 2 channel (on the same system) quite a bit more than I use it for surround I upgraded my mains to Parasound JC-1's and then when I purchased a pair of Vidar for another system I ended up using them instead of the JC-1's because they don't run anywhere near as hot unless you are listening at ear bleeding levels...

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #45,925 of 151,594
In other news, an Aegir internal photo is up. Sorry for the delay. Expect similar delays on most of the new product intros; we're frequently shooting empty chassis, rather than finished products. No worries, we'll always get the internal photos up eventually.
You sure it works?
I see so few parts.....

Nice work though.
I hope to hear it sometime.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #45,926 of 151,594
No one cares what you think about anything. By the way, the Aegir internals photo is posted. Perhaps you could go look at it and then go on your merry way.

I’m not quite certain we handled that correctly. Admittedly, he did come in guns-a-blazin’, all ramped up on attitude, but I would prefer to think of this “space” as being a place that is not hostile to newcomers. Rather than giving him a few posts to calm down and get used to being around the new neighbours, we responded with a matching level of hostility that is perhaps not particularly worthy of good hosts.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #45,928 of 151,594
Hey all, I am going to circle back to a discussion from weeks ago about humming....

I finally have some free time on my hands to get my Vidar looked at, it's humming. And it's not a happy tuneful humming, more a deep, Back to the Future Scene 1 guitar amps humming kind of hum. Of course it's nowhere near that loud - and I haven't yet been thrown across the room when I play music - but that is the sound coming from my speakers that can heard in my living room up to about 6-7 feet away from my speakers (which are admittedly quite sensitive - Tannoy DMT15s). This is with just the Vidar connected, no leads other than power and speaker. I have also tried in another system in my office, with the same result, where I am much closer to the speakers so it's always a low humming in the background when no music is playing.

Before I take it into the distributor in Melbourne for a look-see, has anyone got any other suggestions for me to check??

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #45,929 of 151,594
People come onto this thread and instantly get their panties in a twist for some reason quite regularly. Usually it's because they have no sense of humor, or they are satire-challenged, or they suffer from the dreaded "I-Must-Always-Be-Right" syndrome. It can be a sad thing to see, certainly, and I hope to one day host a telethon to raise money to buy a million tiny violins so they can hear a sad song as they get off my lawn.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #45,930 of 151,594
You sure it works?
I see so few parts.....
I see a healthy power supply, voltage regulators, voltage and current buffers, two sets of output devices on massive heat sinks... plenty of parts if you ask me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back