Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #45,271 of 150,893
Reminds me of this xkcd comic:

purity.png

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #45,273 of 150,893
My music server is a Macbook Pro (2014) with JRiver23. I'd been connecting to Gumby via Gen2 USB.
Had a variety of stability issues. Changed to S/PDIF optical, that gave good stability and the sound was OK.

Then, upgraded Gumby to Gen5 USB. No more stability issues, and the SQ is better (more clear/resolved) than with the optical connection.
I didn't test S/PDIF coax or AES, as no direct connections from the Mac (and no AES on Gumby).
FWIW and YMMV :)
I also have an optical connection to my DAC and always wonder how - USB done well - sounds but i can’t at the moment. So thanks for this good info on probably my future experience. Did you use a ‘standard’ USB cable?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #45,274 of 150,893
I also have an optical connection to my DAC and always wonder how - USB done well - sounds but i can’t at the moment. So thanks for this good info on probably my future experience. Did you use a ‘standard’ USB cable?

No (time to duck) but I upgraded both. My toslink is AQ Diamond, and USB is Wywires Platinum.
I do believe in upgrading some important cables :)
I suspect, however, that with Mike's Utopia USB, the quality of cable will be less important.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #45,275 of 150,893
My first wife, may she RIP, was a marketing pro (Indiana U grad) and me an engineer (Purdue).
Imagine the fun discussions we had ...

I learned much, especially about the mathematics involved in marketing science.
To wit, designed experiments to sample a population group and gain confident product opinion data.
Such data are very important ... to sell a product launch to the company.

BTW, not all companies value such data and launch anyway, sometimes with less than spectacular results.

What do y'all think Jason & Mike are doing with our comments on these forums, eh?
Cheers :)
RCBinTN

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #45,276 of 150,893
When I enquired about a Class-D amplifier, I was told that there were no plans for one.
I am wondering why not?
A Modi form-factor pure 'power' amp based on a Class-D module, to power a small speaker system--designed to use either a Magni 3 or Vali 2 as a pre-amp for volume control, as just another level of the Schiit Stack.
Priced in the $99-$149 range, it would be a great kit for a small apartment, dorm room, or second-system.
DaytonAudio produces an outstanding sounding B652-Air speaker for $49.
Why should a committed Schiit-head be forced to buy a cheap Nobsound chip-amp to drive his otherwise great, albeit Affordable system?
I think the answer to this lies in the mission statement and guiding principles Jason has talked about a number of times here. They don't pursue a cheap class D amp because they wouldn't be able to offer significantly more value or something uniquely different than their competitors. If a way to make a product that aligns with their business mantra comes along I'm sure they'll consider doing it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #45,278 of 150,893
—snip— What do y'all think Jason & Mike are doing with our comments on these forums, eh?
Cheers :)
RCBinTN

I really hope they’re laboriously entering them into a spreadsheet day by day, assigning weights and measures, sweating bullets over every perceived slight, and taking note of every tweaky far-out wild-eyed request for some super-niche piece of hardware, printing it all out, taking it to the monthly marketing meetings, and crumpling it all up to use for wastebasketball.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #45,279 of 150,893
I really hope they’re laboriously entering them into a spreadsheet day by day, assigning weights and measures, sweating bullets over every perceived slight, and taking note of every tweaky far-out wild-eyed request for some super-niche piece of hardware, printing it all out, taking it to the monthly marketing meetings, and crumpling it all up to use for wastebasketball.

Or, not. But, that is a nicely facetious representation of my thought.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #45,281 of 150,893
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #45,283 of 150,893
OTOH, if the switching frequencies were much higher, they'd be damped much more strongly by downstream LC characteristics and magic would happen. Who knows.

That sort of reminds me of the ever escalating DSD sample rates: DSD64! no, DSD128! no, DSD256! no, DSD512! no, DSD1024!

I think we should just settle on DSD2048 and be done with it. Then London Calling by the Clash would sound glorious! It would also fill all my available disk space but man! it would be worth it :wink:

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #45,285 of 150,893
How would a Vidar be as a subwoofer amp? Got a pair of passive subwoofers that are screaming for some quality watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back