Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #42,842 of 151,067
There's an awful lot going on with a transport related to reading, clocking, muxing, demuxing, re-clocking, etc., that I don't feel comfortable in saying that a new approach (assuming the Schiit unit has a new approach) would not reveal some of the flaws that we've just learned to accept. I suppose all will be answered when the first Schiit spinner is released. As for me, I'm anxious to see what it brings and am just keeping an open mind about it. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #42,843 of 151,067
What on the serial number tells you it is a red drive?
I don't think the serial number helps, but the model number appears to end in F_X (where "_" is wildcard), the label colour is a clue too :L3000:
(Google Image "wd red", official pics have pretend serial number 12345678)

WD100EFAX.jpg

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #42,845 of 151,067
I don't understand why folks keep playing the physical CD instead of ripping to a hi-res digital format?

I got about 50 CDs form our local library sale recently and all ripped fine. I, too, use EAC and also MP3 tag to prepare stuff for a server that Roon reads from. Works really well. All the CDs are stored in 4 huge storage cases and the jewel cases given away.
Cheers
Yep, sounds familiar. After a ripping session, my discs are wrapped up, boxed up, inventoried, and tucked into a closet. My Chromebook runs Android applications... and I've had luck with VLC's networking-via-SMB feature. I prefer Foobar's library and search feature; however, Foobar requires I use unencrypted FTP protocols. Nope.

That's a major pain for me: networking my "mother desktop... with its music files" to my satellite laptops (be it running Windows 7 [that loses support 2020] or ChromeOS). If Schiit releases a (modular?) device that spins BlueTooth/DVD/CD/SCAD?! ... and can network hassle-free... that'd be a slam dunk purchase for me.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #42,848 of 151,067
I don't think the serial number helps, but the model number appears to end in F_X (where "_" is wildcard), the label colour is a clue too :L3000:
(Google Image "wd red", official pics have pretend serial number 12345678)

WD100EFAX.jpg
The question was referring to the serial number of the external hard drives. These drives sell for less than the bare drives. It makes no logical sense but it is so.

I was looking to get external drives and gut them as the original poster did. I will do as you and @Ableza suggest on my next visit to the computer shop.

Thank you both.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #42,849 of 151,067
Just want to share for those who have large redundant storage located locally (in their homes or office). I find having a remote back up is very essential. A nas drive can be stolen or, heavens forbid, be part of a fire. Ive looked at remote back up and the cheapest Ive found so far is Amazon Glacier.
https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

Last time I checked its very cheap. And they will probably charge you more if you try to retrieve your data. But sending and storing for safe keeping is very cheap

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #42,850 of 151,067
The question was referring to the serial number of the external hard drives. These drives sell for less than the bare drives. It makes no logical sense but it is so.

I was looking to get external drives and gut them as the original poster did. I will do as you and @Ableza suggest on my next visit to the computer shop.

Thank you both.
Sorry, I didn't realise you were referring to drives from external USB units :blush:
a bit of info here
https://tinkertry.com/liberate-western-digital-8tb-from-external-drive-enclosure-to-save-big
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/672664-wd-red-drives-for-cheap-with-free-external-enclosure/

the WD My Book Duos have only red drives

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #42,851 of 151,067
Just want to share for those who have large redundant storage located locally (in their homes or office). I find having a remote back up is very essential. A nas drive can be stolen or, heavens forbid, be part of a fire. Ive looked at remote back up and the cheapest Ive found so far is Amazon Glacier.
https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

Last time I checked its very cheap. And they will probably charge you more if you try to retrieve your data. But sending and storing for safe keeping is very cheap

The simplest and easiest way (instant access) to backup your data is to buy multiple external USB hard drives. The prices for 2TB, 4TB and 8TB have dramatically dropped in the last year. I have my >1TB music files on four separate hard drives. One for my stereo, one that travels with me in my computer bag and two for storage elsewhere. I use Sync Back Free to mirror all the drives.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #42,852 of 151,067
The simplest and easiest way (instant access) to backup your data is to buy multiple external USB hard drives. The prices for 2TB, 4TB and 8TB have dramatically dropped in the last year. I have my >1TB music files on four separate hard drives. One for my stereo, one that travels with me in my computer bag and two for storage elsewhere. I use Sync Back Free to mirror all the drives.
A Great Free utility to clone drives is Clonezilla.
I would also like to add that it is a bad idea to butcher a pig while hung over. I speak from experience.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #42,853 of 151,067
The hangover is the day after the pig roast!

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #42,854 of 151,067
Well, having multiple redundant storage is good but they are all local. If you have Synology nas there’s an app to connect to amazon glacier. From there on its fire and forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back