Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #42,856 of 150,782
That's a lot of pork.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #42,857 of 150,782
Yep, sounds familiar. After a ripping session, my discs are wrapped up, boxed up, inventoried, and tucked into a closet. My Chromebook runs Android applications... and I've had luck with VLC's networking-via-SMB feature. I prefer Foobar's library and search feature; however, Foobar requires I use unencrypted FTP protocols. Nope.

That's a major pain for me: networking my "mother desktop... with its music files" to my satellite laptops (be it running Windows 7 [that loses support 2020] or ChromeOS). If Schiit releases a (modular?) device that spins BlueTooth/DVD/CD/SCAD?! ... and can network hassle-free... that'd be a slam dunk purchase for me.
I use Linux and the private network is the OpenSSH server and the end-points are clients. All my music lives on MusicBox-v2 which is my server with 10Tb. I must "sign-in" the end-points and I have unfettered access to the entire library on the server, via ethernet HTTP. Sounds like it would be a simpler solution to your networking woes. sftp://192.xx.xx.xx is the "address" where all the music lives,

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #42,858 of 150,782
I have fed a variety of DACs from a variety of sources including a $35 Chromecast and have not heard a difference between any of the sources
I've done the same, but with an independent judge who doesn't know what's what -- my musical, keen-hearing wife -- who has been able to distinguish reliably between different digital transports into a given high reputation DAC -- including the Yggdrasil followed by good analog chains. Yes, digital transport hardware can affect subtler but still audible aspects of the reproduced sound. Why do you think @Baldr has been working for the last several years to improve USB audio, first with gen 5 and now with the new Schiit-designed board?

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #42,859 of 150,782
I've done the same, but with an independent judge who doesn't know what's what -- my musical, keen-hearing wife -- who has been able to distinguish reliably between different digital transports into a given high reputation DAC -- including the Yggdrasil followed by good analog chains. Yes, digital transport hardware can affect subtler but still audible aspects of the reproduced sound. Why do you think @Baldr has been working for the last several years to improve USB audio, first with gen 5 and now with the new Schiit-designed board?
I am quite sure he is working on those things because he thinks it will improve something. He also said streaming audio sound terrible. That is not what most people have experienced. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Engineers will work on they want to work on. People will buy what they want to buy. I don't doubt that your wife has keen hearing and I don't know what testing methods you used. However, until someone shows me that in enough double blind trials for 90+ percent confidence, they can reliably tell one properly functioning digital transport from another, I will remain skeptical. I won't say it's not possible, I just doubt it.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #42,860 of 150,782
However, until someone shows me that in enough double blind trials for 90+ percent confidence, they can reliably tell one properly functioning digital transport from another, I will remain skeptical. I won't say it's not possible, I just doubt it.
Statistical double blind is extremely hard to apply to anything that is only differentiable by a very small part of the population. That's why it is so difficult to test and bring to market mutation-specific drugs. Standard statistical measurements are only useful to reveal gross, population-wide differences, not subtle, long-tail differences.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #42,861 of 150,782
Everything sounds the same, why bother:L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #42,864 of 150,782
I just realized I am actually quite curious about the “buy better gear” light. Are there other people that experience this turning on on a regular basis? This post is actually the first time I’ve heard anybody talking about it…
No. Using USB in and a spare Oppo DVD player into Yggy.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #42,865 of 150,782
Statistical double blind is extremely hard to apply to anything that is only differentiable by a very small part of the population. That's why it is so difficult to test and bring to market mutation-specific drugs. Standard statistical measurements are only useful to reveal gross, population-wide differences, not subtle, long-tail differences.
Actually LOXO seems to be doing very well working on targeting low frequency molecular alterations with drugs....
https://www.loxooncology.com/
eg NTRK (and likely soon RET) inhibitiors
(I have no Loxo FCOI)

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #42,866 of 150,782

upload_2019-1-5_18-18-51.jpeg
tenor.gif
BVH9.gif
60873-alison-brie-yes-theres-a-diffe-msnz.gif
VagueMediocreBasilisk-small.gif

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #42,867 of 150,782
Don't condescend. I am getting it. Absent actual data that supports this, I am skeptical that a transport that is not causing actual data errors sounds different than any other. I don't believe a competently designed disk player is going to present enough "crap" at its SPDIF output to screw up the performance of the downstream DAC. Makers of mass produced audio equipment do employ competent engineers. In my somewhat informed opinion, unless it's broken or feeding an incompetently designed DAC, all transports are functionally the same. I have fed a variety of DACs from a variety of sources including a $35 Chromecast and have not heard a difference between any of the it”.sources. I am not all that convinced that the DAC's I've owned sound that different. Now the usual rejoinder to this is that I must be deaf. Perhaps. Funny thing though, when you put the equipment being auditioned behind a curtain, a lot of other people go deaf too.

Clearly, you are not “getting it”.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #42,868 of 150,782
Your best bet to get a good transport is a second hand Sony ES series, an older Arcam or NAD, or a Proceed or an older Pioneer Elite. (The newer Pioneer Elites use variable DVD drives) but, being a used product you will have the worry about the laser dying. If schiit comes out with a transport I believe it will certainly sound better than anything CA has to offer and approach performance that you can only get from 4 figure transports. Which is totally in line with Schiits philosophy.

Let’s hope Mike stumbles upon a hidden stache of Philip cd mechs!

......or Pioneer stable platter....

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #42,870 of 150,782
You aren't getting it. It's not about the digital data as that gets there reliably in all but the worst cases. It's about the other crap that comes along with the digital data in the electrical signals. That will vary from transport to transport and streamer to streamer. This affects the receiver PHY in the DAC and changes what comes out the analog side.
So...if you're ripping to lossless (not playing the CD), does the 'other crap' issue become a non-factor then?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back