1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. JohnnyCanuck
    Colbert_popcorn.gif cat_popcorn.gif

2. earnmyturns
    As I said, my wife has been able to reliably distinguish between certain digital source As and Bs, when I use the same tracks but randomize between A and B. In fact, I've had her walk into our living room from running an errand and say that the music sounds better, just as I switched to a new digital source she did not know about. Even in cases where I might not have been able to. But she might well be an outlier, especially in our age group. And it's kind of funny that males seem dominate this hobby when they lose high-frequency hearing earlier than women :ksc75smile:

3. golfbravobravo
    Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (http) is for communicating to and from websites, it's not the underlying protocol for ethernet.

Cheers

quimbo, AudioGal, Jheal and 2 others like this.
  4. Robert Padgett
    "They are not accustomed sufficiently to very good audio gear."
    Hmm, is this snobbery, elitist or just an attempt to insinuate that you have a more perceptive ear, because of your experience with "very good audio gear"?
    Snobbery only works if you are an otherwise very impressive individual.
    Elitism means you have had access to more resources, and purchased expensive gear, despite not knowing what "good" really sounds like.
    Having access to "very good audio gear" seems to be a rather subjective analysis based on your exclusive experience.

All of this is to say, that I will gladly acknowledge that I have heard systems that cost $150,000, systems which cost over $500,000 (Vinyl, BAT Tubes and VonSchweikert loudspeakers, in a custom-designed listening room--he literally told the Architect of his Multi-million dollar home to start with the listening room, make it perfect, and then build the house around it.) and my own rather modest Affordable Audiophile reference system.

I have reviewed a single pair of interconnects that cost $6K and a loom of high-end cables which cost $7K more.

And without insulting anyone, I can say that it is all about the Music, not the equipment.

Sweeping generalizations like "people on your side" implies that you are somewhat different.

Different is not always better.

More expensive is not necessarily a good scale of comparison, either.

And one would think that 'a decade and thousands of hours of listening' qualifies you to sit in judgment.

Sorry on all accounts.
    Unless you have found a way to jump into your trousers in one fell swoop, may I suggest that you put your pants on one leg at a time...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    the finisher, Old Nuke and US Blues like this.
  5. earnmyturns
    @Robert Padgett is correct if his networked setup is using DLNA, as I believe it is. DLNA uses HTTP for its media transport. See slide 13 of DLNA for Dummies.

6. golfbravobravo
    Both your and my statements are correct! Do you know of any music using DLNA?

The original statement (and that http is a mainframe protocol) is incorrect.

Cheers

7. dieslemat
    Yawn....

Rensek, US Blues and Oveja Negra like this.
  8. EricDH
    That lean in the bass must have been caused somewhere downstream the transport though. I used to have the Wadia 830 CD player (the baby Wadia) with the stable platter transport, and it had a lot of weight and slam in the bass. Not bass heavy, but it certainly deep and taut.

9. US Blues
    Thank you Robert, that is very helpful. My understanding is Dr. Ivana is baking a Pi of some kind, perhaps seeing what comes from the Schiit Kitchen will be of further help.

10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    As a professional snob, elitist, pain in the ass, devils advocate, doting Constanza owner etc...
    I can say I truly hear a difference in sets, makes, brands, combinations, methods et al and can so choose what I like most.
    A discussion in what's to like and what's not to like is a BIG waste of time.

Rensek, GearMe, thebmc and 9 others like this.
  11. RCBinTN
    Whew. Finally caught up on the cacophony of noise this thread's turned into, my two conclusions are:
    1. @earnmyturns wife has better ears than do I :)
    2. If I ever decide to stream music, I will get Roon.

Cheers mates, eh!
    RCB

12. winders
    No, it is still a factor but a different source. That other crap comes along with whatever you use to feed the tracks to the DAC.

motberg, thebmc and Juan_R like this.
  13. winders
    You think so? Get a WE396A tube and associated adapter and tell me, with a straight face, that "Schiit's stock tube gets the job done."

dieslemat and jseymour like this.
  14. winders
    No, I am not wrong. If I were wrong, there would be no purpose in Schiit Audio coming out with the Eitr or USB Gen 5 or the new stuff they have coming out. A bunch of crap can come along with the digital data and reducing the ground noise, power noise , and clock phase noise issues improves the analog output of just about any DAC. But you go right ahead and believe what you want. Just don't expect it to not be called out here when you post that belief.

15. winders
    What software are you using that uses HTTP to transfer music data to endpoints?

golfbravobravo likes this.