Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #42,691 of 150,288
I would give it another try if I were you. I mean, I`m in Europe so I have no experience with the service over there, but from what I`ve seen and read on here, your experience is not the standard one.
Nope, no second chance to make a first expression. I have over 15 pieces of Schitt gear, most I'm happy with, designing and building seem to be there forte, not customer service. As long as they bring out new pieces I like then I will be a customer, but I will add the bad experience into my decision making, my money will go to who treats me better all things being the same.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #42,692 of 150,288
15 pieces of gear and 1 bad customer service experience, so you demand 100% perfection, 100% of the time? That is a tough ask when dealing with humans.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #42,694 of 150,288
Nope, no second chance to make a first expression. I have over 15 pieces of Schitt gear, most I'm happy with, designing and building seem to be there forte, not customer service. As long as they bring out new pieces I like then I will be a customer, but I will add the bad experience into my decision making, my money will go to who treats me better all things being the same.
You made your point.
Can you shut up about it now?

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #42,695 of 150,288
Because a big reason why they started this was a rebellion against the "gold plated Bentley" model of audio gear manufacturing. Making money at the stupid priced end of audio requires spending large sums of money on things that make no difference to audio quality and some fairly high levels of lying to your customers. Extremely expensive audio gear in many cases isn't even a little bit better sounding than more affordable gear. You pay for exclusivity and shiny bits. If you pride yourself on being a good engineer, why would you want to get involved in selling fantasies to the fantastically wealthy? A wise man once said any idiot can design a 5 dollar pencil. It takes an engineer to design a 5 cent pencil. High audio abounds in 5 dollar pencils. Heck, 500 dollar pencils. The picture below is from a review in TAS of a $60,000 line stage preamp that the reviewer went nuts over. That volume control must cost 5 grand. Do you think it sounds better than the relay controlled precision voltage divider in a Freya? No, it can't it just a really expensive way to put resistors in a circuit. The case that this preamp is in is gorgeous. In the limited quantities that this is expected to sell, I bet it costs close to $10,000. That doesn't make it sound better either. If you were in engineering school and your project was to build a device to select from one of a half dozen 20-20khz bandwidth limited inputs at a couple of volts peak to peak, add 0 to 10'ish db of amplification with low distortion and low noise and send it out to a power amp and you presented this monstrosity the result would be laughter. This is not even like driving to work in a formula one car, it's like driving to work in a car that cost's like a formula one car but performs like an off the shelf 3 series BMW. Too much of high audio is all about how to make things more expensive. A lot of high end gear is like a high end watch. Beautiful to look at, nice to show off to your friends but functionally actually worse than a $50 Casio. I am glad there are people running companies that have said "enough" and are trying to reverse the trend.

I agree with you, in principle.

The actual parts used in that line stage could probably get you to $6,000, but certainly not to $60,000.
I could be wrong, but I don't know of any output transistors that cost $500 a pop.
Or PSU's that retail for $2,500 apiece.
I know, all the bling enclosures, R&D, 'handmade' labour, silver wiring, marketing, etc. adds up, but still.
(Rare NOS valves are a possible exception, though even expensive high end designs mostly spec current production valves.)

But to use your analogy, I believe there's merit in a pencil built for 50 cents.
Somewhere between the 5c and $5 (or $500) extremes there's a place, imho, where the law of diminishing returns has yet to come into full effect.
Like a BMW M3 that gets you close/r to the performance of a Formula One car, if you will.
Appreciably faster and more nimble than the standard 3 Series, yet still in the same enclosure, give or take, as the standard model.

This is what, for example, the Yggdrasil DAC represents to me.
Give a great designer a bigger budget and he will make a better product.
Access to higher-spec parts, fewer space constraints, more opportunity to prototype, etc.
(BTW I'm not saying this is how Yggy came to be, I'm just speculating in a general sense.)

It's only natural, then, that folks might wonder what a 50c Schiit speaker or head amp might look and sound like.

Well that's my 2 cents, anyway (analogy over).

Happy New Year.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #42,696 of 150,288
Question: Are there *any* respected/well-reviewed Class-D *headphone* amps on the market? If so, what well-reviewed Class-AB and/or Class-A headphone amp/s are they being directly compared to?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd genuinely like to know...
Class D is about producing a lot of power in a small footprint without melting. Are there any headphones that need 25 watts or more of power?

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #42,699 of 150,288
I agree with you, in principle.

The actual parts used in that line stage could probably get you to $6,000, but certainly not to $60,000.

You may have missed my main point. I am not talking about the parts cost/selling price ratio. I am talking about the cramming of expensive parts into a preamp for no reason other than to make it expensive and impress audio reviewers. That giant box of stuff performs about the same as a $5 op amp. I remember some years back reading a review of a $10K + line stage from a respected high end manufacturer. Of course it sounded wonderful. They opened up the case and found a circuit board stuffed with IC op amps with the labels ground off.. How could this be? How could these horrible IC's sound as good as we thought? How can this company sell this for 10 grand? They surmised that it was the masterful implementation of the op amps that made it wonderful and worth the price. Sure, probably all that skilled labor sanding the writing of the IC packages.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #42,700 of 150,288
Just answering questions, and who asked for your comments anyway....
You did by posting them on this forum.
I am beginning to understand why it was impossible to have some fruitful communication with you.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #42,703 of 150,288
04ceca407b8a4f2a2c0d4d9a70146ff6.gif

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #42,705 of 150,288
Yep, it's my money going to them. Actually it 2 out of 15.
Hey it is your money, but almost everyone here has had at least one customer service interaction with Schiit, be that a question answered or ordered changed/cancelled etc. and I dare say 80-90% of them are fantastic experiences, that is good enough for me. But, I do hope you find what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back