Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #42,661 of 149,297
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #42,663 of 149,297
goodbye old year,
tumblr_n1bwbauRas1trmkp7o1_400.gif

Happy new year.......:ksc75smile:

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #42,664 of 149,297
Yep, went thru the routine, sent my item back (Loki) and was told it worked correctly, but it doesn't (compared to the other 2 I have). Had a second item (Vali 2) develop noise, didn't even make it thru the emails before I gave up on them. They (he) didn't read my emails, seemed to be going thru a standard routine, wasting my time.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #42,665 of 149,297
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #42,669 of 149,297
Unless/until Jason and Mike are seriously intent on pushing the technological envelope by doing something truly new, unique, meritorious with Class-D, I hope they steer clear of it.

If Bruno Putzeys (who has been one of the main promotors of Class D, designer of the Hypex units and now introducing Class D in the real high end with Mola Mola) is able to push the Class D envelope, why wouldn't Jason? Question of course is if he is interested. Anyway, the idea that Class D always sounds like ass is something from the past I believe.

And not all strongly held (and advocated) beliefs from Schiit are always the true and only gospel. I know that Jason is always strongly promoting linear power supplies, and thus is against switching power supplies. Although I have no way to go into any technical discussion about power supplies and their pros and cons (I just don't understand electronics), I can say that I have owned a Chord Electronics power amp for many years. These have switch mode power supplies, and sound damn good. Happy with my versatile Devialet amp now, but I would buy a Chord amp again blindly if it would fit the way I build my 2 channel set.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #42,670 of 149,297
Yep, went thru the routine, sent my item back (Loki) and was told it worked correctly, but it doesn't (compared to the other 2 I have). Had a second item (Vali 2) develop noise, didn't even make it thru the emails before I gave up on them. They (he) didn't read my emails, seemed to be going thru a standard routine, wasting my time.
I would give it another try if I were you. I mean, I`m in Europe so I have no experience with the service over there, but from what I`ve seen and read on here, your experience is not the standard one.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #42,671 of 149,297
I would give it another try if I were you. I mean, I`m in Europe so I have no experience with the service over there, but from what I`ve seen and read on here, your experience is not the standard one.
Indeed the service here in The Netherlands (schiit-europe) is very good.
In this case I would choose to go up a level in the Schiit organisation to discuss matters.
Dragging the company trough schiit on a public website is just NOT the way to go.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #42,672 of 149,297
Anyway, the idea that Class D always sounds like ass is something from the past I believe.

I have 2 concerns with Class D amps. First is, all the high frequency noises it dumps back into the mains. It requires ridiculous levels of filtering to get rid of it and I worry that other equipment just can't handle it. Have you seen on Stereophile the output both with and without the high end lab analyzer's filtering? Before filtering a sine wave looks like it was made from fuzzy caterpillars. After, it looks perfect of course. But I don't want to have to hook up a many thousands of dollars analyzer to an amp to get the signal I expect.

The other concern I got after reading some explanation somewhere, can't remember where, about Class D's interaction with the input signal. Something about its output being frequency dependent. Ick.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #42,673 of 149,297
I have built dozens of Class D amps using Hypex modules. They sound pretty good. I prefer to use them for subwoofer amps, mainly for their high efficiency, and because my ear says they still sound best when band-width limited below 200Hz. Class D is much better than it used to be... but A/B still sounds better.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #42,674 of 149,297

I have 2 concerns with Class D amps. First is, all the high frequency noises it dumps back into the mains. It requires ridiculous levels of filtering to get rid of it and I worry that other equipment just can't handle it. Have you seen on Stereophile the output both with and without the high end lab analyzer's filtering? Before filtering a sine wave looks like it was made from fuzzy caterpillars. After, it looks perfect of course. But I don't want to have to hook up a many thousands of dollars analyzer to an amp to get the signal I expect.

The other concern I got after reading some explanation somewhere, can't remember where, about Class D's interaction with the input signal. Something about its output being frequency dependent. Ick.

Two words, Sprout 100. Class D done right and sold at a reasonable price, backed by PSAudio. If Jason and Mike don't like Class-D, Okay, but Scott McGowan has made it work. (It is always better with a sub-woofer)

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #42,675 of 149,297
Two words, Sprout 100. Class D done right and sold at a reasonable price, backed by PSAudio. If Jason and Mike don't like Class-D, Okay, but Scott McGowan has made it work. (It is always better with a sub-woofer)

Sprout is an appropriate use case for Class D, especially after they lowered the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back