1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. TomSix
    Question: Are there *any* respected/well-reviewed Class-D *headphone* amps on the market? If so, what well-reviewed Class-AB and/or Class-A headphone amp/s are they being directly compared to?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd genuinely like to know...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    You made your point.
    Can you shut up about it now?

3. TheNidz
    I agree with you, in principle.

The actual parts used in that line stage could probably get you to $6,000, but certainly not to $60,000.
    I could be wrong, but I don't know of any output transistors that cost $500 a pop.
    Or PSU's that retail for $2,500 apiece.
    I know, all the bling enclosures, R&D, 'handmade' labour, silver wiring, marketing, etc. adds up, but still.
    (Rare NOS valves are a possible exception, though even expensive high end designs mostly spec current production valves.)

But to use your analogy, I believe there's merit in a pencil built for 50 cents.
    Somewhere between the 5c and $5 (or $500) extremes there's a place, imho, where the law of diminishing returns has yet to come into full effect.
    Like a BMW M3 that gets you close/r to the performance of a Formula One car, if you will.
    Appreciably faster and more nimble than the standard 3 Series, yet still in the same enclosure, give or take, as the standard model.

This is what, for example, the Yggdrasil DAC represents to me.
    Give a great designer a bigger budget and he will make a better product.
    Access to higher-spec parts, fewer space constraints, more opportunity to prototype, etc.
    (BTW I'm not saying this is how Yggy came to be, I'm just speculating in a general sense.)

It's only natural, then, that folks might wonder what a 50c Schiit speaker or head amp might look and sound like.

Well that's my 2 cents, anyway (analogy over).

Happy New Year.

the finisher likes this.
  4. Robert Wortman
    Class D is about producing a lot of power in a small footprint without melting. Are there any headphones that need 25 watts or more of power?

5. Old Nuke
    Yep, it's my money going to them. Actually it 2 out of 15.

6. Old Nuke
    Just answering questions, and who asked for your comments anyway....

7. Robert Wortman
    You may have missed my main point. I am not talking about the parts cost/selling price ratio. I am talking about the cramming of expensive parts into a preamp for no reason other than to make it expensive and impress audio reviewers. That giant box of stuff performs about the same as a $5 op amp. I remember some years back reading a review of a $10K + line stage from a respected high end manufacturer. Of course it sounded wonderful. They opened up the case and found a circuit board stuffed with IC op amps with the labels ground off.. How could this be? How could these horrible IC's sound as good as we thought? How can this company sell this for 10 grand? They surmised that it was the masterful implementation of the op amps that made it wonderful and worth the price. Sure, probably all that skilled labor sanding the writing of the IC packages.

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    You did by posting them on this forum.
    I am beginning to understand why it was impossible to have some fruitful communication with you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. Old Nuke
    Really? Once again, if it didn't apply to you, you didn't have to comment. Seeing you needed to be rude with your comment, I think you have more problems with communication than me.

Paladin79 likes this.
  10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Sure. Now Paladin79 loves you just because you're rude to me.
    You scored!!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    gljus and US Blues like this.
  11. wink
    [​IMG]..

gljus, 33na3rd, MWSVette and 2 others like this.
  12. Don Hills
    "Sounds like ass", of course. :ksc75smile:

MWSVette, yvfed1 and TheNidz like this.
  13. Byronb
    Hey it is your money, but almost everyone here has had at least one customer service interaction with Schiit, be that a question answered or ordered changed/cancelled etc. and I dare say 80-90% of them are fantastic experiences, that is good enough for me. But, I do hope you find what you are looking for.

14. TomSix
    I hear what you are saying. Making smaller units for a given power output rating is one design imperative, making less expensive units for a given output power is another imperative, and Class-D allows for both goals to be met. Of course, such considerations are entirely aside/separate from any questions about audio quality.

I would submit there are a fair number of planar headphones which can derive some benefit from being driven with, say, 4 to 8 watt amplifiers. Class-D allows for a very compact and electrically efficient amplifier in this power range, and so if high quality audio (comparable to good quality Class-AB or Class-A amplifiers) was commonly obtainable from current Class-D amplification, then I'd think TOTL planar headphone aficionados would already be flocking to Class-D. But, is that what we actually see?

15. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I always hope that people here are mature enough to take this kind of statements with a grain of salt and see the humor in it and not a restriction or judgement.
    I am testing a music transport at the moment (Auralic Aries G2) and I never heard a CD-spinner reach that quality.
    The same with my Cambridge Audio 851N Music Transport.
    Of course both are linked to an Yggdrasil.

Every human has a bit of Tourette's. No exceptions.
    With some people one learns about it faster than with others.
    I think it's kinda funny. Not that serious.