Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #41,327 of 149,298
Hey, everyone, I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm looking for a USB to S/PDIF Converter with a Toslink (Optical) output.

Of course, my first inclination would be to go with Eitr, but that only has a coaxial output. One option is to get Eitr and add a Coax to Toslink adapter like this one.

However, I was wondering if you all had any recommendations for something that goes straight to optical, or is cheaper. I found the Wyred 4 Sound µLINK that goes straight to optical but that costs even more than an Eitr + adapter.

On the cheaper end, Creative sells some external sound cards, like the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1, and the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD, which have optical SPDIF outputs.

Cheaper than that, there are no-name-brand converters on ebay, but I would rather pay a little more and get something reliable. I know I've already answered my question with several options but I'm not thrilled with the choices, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for a more audiophile oriented product at or below $100. If not, I'm probably leaning towards one of the Creative options.

Edit: I also just found the M-Audio Micro DAC, which doesn't look very sophisticated and I believe is discontinued. However, it is a name brand, it will do USB to Optical conversion, and it is currently on Amazon for $35. The plot thickens. I'd still love other suggestions or comments on the options I listed.
Why not go for coax?
It's the better S/PDIF way to go.
Toslink is the worst.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #41,328 of 149,298
Hey, everyone, I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm looking for a USB to S/PDIF Converter with a Toslink (Optical) output.

Of course, my first inclination would be to go with Eitr, but that only has a coaxial output. One option is to get Eitr and add a Coax to Toslink adapter like this one.

However, I was wondering if you all had any recommendations for something that goes straight to optical, or is cheaper. I found the Wyred 4 Sound µLINK that goes straight to optical but that costs even more than an Eitr + adapter.

On the cheaper end, Creative sells some external sound cards, like the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1, and the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD, which have optical SPDIF outputs.

Cheaper than that, there are no-name-brand converters on ebay, but I would rather pay a little more and get something reliable. I know I've already answered my question with several options but I'm not thrilled with the choices, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for a more audiophile oriented product at or below $100. If not, I'm probably leaning towards one of the Creative options.

Edit: I also just found the M-Audio Micro DAC, which doesn't look very sophisticated and I believe is discontinued. However, it is a name brand, it will do USB to Optical conversion, and it is currently on Amazon for $35. The plot thickens. I'd still love other suggestions or comments on the options I listed.
If cheap and better SQ are at the top of the list the Eitr is hard to beat.
And if a BNC connector on the SPDIF cable is a must then use an adapter, or order a BNC equipped cable.
They are available from many sources such as blue jeans cable https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

JJ

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #41,329 of 149,298
My favorite season, an occasional break in the mostly gray skies, a peek of blue and some God rays.
upload_2018-11-2_19-12-57.png

upload_2018-11-2_19-13-20.png

Perfection. As is my 2nd rig setup in my 2nd floor bedroom; "the cone of silence".

The only thing keeping this from being a bona fide Schiit stack is a Schiit Spinner Transport.
Although the transport (including AES out) I’m using is a solid performer and dead quiet, but quirky in operation and features. But I guess the money went into making it a solid piece with a quality motor.
upload_2018-11-2_19-14-28.png

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #41,330 of 149,298
After looking through products like this on Amazon I was inspired to hatch a plan to comletely re-do the way I layout my computer audio setup, including replacing the desk. I've wanted to do it for ages, but could never figure out how to place everything without having to re-buy ALL of the cables (which I wasn't okay with).

I have a good plan for it now though. Your post broke the idea ice for me. :) Thanks again.

Hey, this made my day :) Make sure to share some pics of your setup before/after or something, I'd love to see them!

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #41,331 of 149,298
Why not go for coax?
It's the better S/PDIF way to go.
Toslink is the worst.

I’m not looking at optical out of preference. The device I need this for only has an optical digital input, so I’m afraid my hands are tied.

If cheap and better SQ are at the top of the list the Eitr is hard to beat.
And if a BNC connector on the SPDIF cable is a must then use an adapter, or order a BNC equipped cable.
They are available from many sources such as blue jeans cable https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

JJ

I have no doubt about Eitr’s value, and generally speaking I’ll use any excuse to buy Schiit gear. But like I said, it has to go to optical. Something about paying $180 for a high quality SPDIF converter then slapping on a cheap plastic coaxial to optical converter at the end doesn’t feel right.

Frankly, I wish Eitr had both outputs, assuming the addition won’t be difficult or expensive. Even if optical sounds worse it would make hooking Eitr up to gear more flexible when, like in my case, coax just isn’t an option. Maybe Eitr will get an update with the new Schiit USB implimentation.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #41,332 of 149,298
As a general rule optical has the lowest SQ of any flavor of SPDIF and in some cases it's even lower than what USB can deliver.

However if all you have is an optical means to feed the downstream gear, I agree that the EITR isn't the best choice.

I abandoned optical once I compared it to the other available options (SPDIF (x2), AES etc.) and optical came in last, to the point that I gave away my $100 optical cable, because it wasn't even close.
And I realize this doesn't solve, nor help your circumstance, but it might give you an insight as to why the EITR doesn't have an optical out.

JJ

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #41,334 of 149,298
My favorite season, an occasional break in the mostly gray skies, a peek of blue and some God rays.

Perfection. As is my 2nd rig setup in my 2nd floor bedroom; "the cone of silence".

The only thing keeping this from being a bona fide Schiit stack is a Schiit Spinner Transport.
Although the transport (including AES out) I’m using is a solid performer and dead quiet, but quirky in operation and features. But I guess the money went into making it a solid piece with a quality motor.

Very nice setup! Mine is a bit of a mess but I keep changing things around.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #41,335 of 149,298
Fiber has many times the bandwidth of coax, terabytes vs gigabytes, why does coax perform better? Is the Toslink implementation poor?

You have to be a little careful comparing toslink S/pdif to fiber optics in general. Toslink uses an LED while fiber optics used in communication often uses laser transmission. Hook a glass fiber toslink up and you still have LED transmission. Think about it, on home electronics a small child could unplug the destination end and look at the pretty red light emitting from the cable, do that with a laser and you have an instant lawsuit on your hands. :)

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #41,336 of 149,298
I think one of the problems is getting TOSLINK (optical) to support any thing over 92/24 is difficult due to jitter problems when passing higher amounts of data. Jason has spoken about this before. products with support over ~92/24 is relatively rare <1%? Not an expert here.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #41,338 of 149,298
Nov 3, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #41,339 of 149,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back