Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #41,221 of 155,088
I'm also thinking of picking up a Lisst tube for my Saga before they are gone... but to be honest, I don't understand what it's going to do different from running in Passive mode??? What's the deal?

A passive preamp doesn't place any active electronics between your source and your power amplifier. In passive mode, Saga is taking the signal from whichever input you select, running it through a resistor in it's stepped attenuator (volume control) to lower the voltage, and passing it along.

Active preamps do two other main things. For one, they add a gain stage to amplify the signal from the source before it is passed on the the power amp. Secondly, they add a buffer. This means that the inputs have very high impedance (to make things easy on the source by requiring less current), and the outputs have relatively low impedance and a lot of current capacity (to deliver a good signal to a wide range of power amplifiers). What this does to the sound and whether or not it increases quality is up to the listener. That's why Schiit offers both modes and lets users switch between them on the fly. You can compare them and listen in whichever mode sounds better to you.

Aside: Personally, I prefer the active mode. But I haven't done a comparison since getting my Modi 3 which has more output power than the first gen Modi I was using before (2.0V RMS vs 1.5V RMS) which might make it sound better in passive mode.

All of the active features require active electronics. In the case of a stock Saga, these are implemented using a hybrid tube topology. Swapping the tube out for a LISST essentially turns Saga into a "normal" solid state device by replacing the tube with transistors (MOSFETs). Again, what this does to the sound and whether or not it increases quality is up to the listener. That's why Schiit used to offer LISST, to let users compare both and pick whichever they prefer.

But as it turns out, not enough people cared about all that enough to spend the extra money on them, and since they were difficult to make, they are going away. That's why I got mine - to satisfy my curiosity and let me hear the difference between solid state and tube electronics in as much of an apples to apples comparison as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #41,222 of 155,088
The New iPad Pro! also known as "what headphone jack?" edition

The new MacBook Air! aka what SD card slot

New apple pencil! aka old one still sells for same price and the only functional one with your new iPad is now $30 more

The new iMac! aka what iMac
Condolences on acquiring your new Apple device

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #41,225 of 155,088
I don't believe that is the case. I previously emailed Schiit asking if they did add gain and they replied no...

"LISST tubes will not add gain to the output, it only converts the Saga from a tube amp to a solid-state amp."

Which is what lead me here to see what the difference is.

Thanks.
They add gain equal to the tube mode. JFET and passive have lower gain.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #41,228 of 155,088
They add gain equal to the tube mode. JFET and passive have lower gain.
Maybe you are thinking of Freya? :thinking:

Saga no JFET, only passive and hybrid tube buffer

Saga specs say:
"Gain: Approximately 1 (0dB) through either passive or active stage"

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #41,229 of 155,088
With regards to Apple haters - Haters gonna hate.

Not about hate with me, I just never saw the value for dollar, but then I don't use my cell for anything but an occasional picture. Other than that it sits in my glove compartment for emergency if one arises. Bought a 100 minutes back in March. Still got 93 minutes left. Apple to me is like the Chord of cell phones.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #41,230 of 155,088
Here's another music recommendation that may be of interest to some of you..... Quite heavy and progressive. Can be got on Spotify for sure.

Earthside - A Dream in Static

Wow, finally getting time to listen to this. Less than 10 minutes in I'm hooked and bought it...

Thanks for the reco!

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #41,231 of 155,088
Not about hate with me, I just never saw the value for dollar, but then I don't use my cell for anything but an occasional picture. Other than that it sits in my glove compartment for emergency if one arises. Bought a 100 minutes back in March. Still got 93 minutes left. Apple to me is like the Chord of cell phones.

I agree 100% my $300 android does every that I need it to do, I prefer to eat my apples...

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #41,232 of 155,088
Now seriously folks, I am still seeing Vali 2 headphone tube amps on the B-stock. I have never owned a tube amp, so would this me a good introduction, or should save up for another model.
$99 is an attractive price for experimentation with tubes. Thanks. Oops, never-mind the listing is gone.
They’ll return at some point... But the answer to your question is a resounding YES (it’s not just good looking, it sounds great, too)!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #41,233 of 155,088
I agree 100% my $300 android does every that I need it to do, I prefer to eat my apples...
(Beware, obscure sci-fi reference follows...) Apple kinda equates to Blue Sun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back