Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #41,206 of 155,095
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #41,207 of 155,095
...Source: .http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5goXugFId-k/UeW7pVPvMdI/AAAAAAAABWM/Dx67ItKU8hw/s1600/say_whaaaat.jpg ; downloaded 14:55 EST, Oct. 28/18; author: Blogspot....
I’m suprised the LISST tubes are suffering lackluster sales (not suprised by the difficult manufacturing). I haven’t seen anything written about Schiit spinning off low-selling items onto separate companies.That’s a pity. My fellow audiophiles are an odd bunch. And a fickle bunch (me included). I suspect “we’re” adverse to change. Tube amps on one side... Solid state on the other side. Hybrid? Meh...

Fickle for sure, also fret and worry.

I never heard a large tube amp (over 75 wpc) under $10k that had bass that could be described as well defined and quick.

Pre-amps, and small signal tube amps? Sure.

Hybrids are viable. Can't name a full function pre-amp (including phono) that I love more than the ARC SP-15 v3 - a hybrid.

My one bummer with the Ragnarok is that it doesn't have the option of tubes/LSST.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #41,210 of 155,095
Fickle for sure, also fret and worry.

I never heard a large tube amp (over 75 wpc) under $10k that had bass that could be described as well defined and quick.

Pre-amps, and small signal tube amps? Sure.

Hybrids are viable. Can't name a full function pre-amp (including phono) that I love more than the ARC SP-15 v3 - a hybrid.

My one bummer with the Ragnarok is that it doesn't have the option of tubes/LSST.

Very well said!

I have plenty of headphone amps and the tube amps are my favorites. Now I want to get some very efficient speakers and work my way back, 1-10 watt class A mono blocks. Tube type. Inefficiency matched with efficiency. The Freya as my pre-amp.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #41,211 of 155,095
Pentatonix, an A capella group out of Texas

This particular song may not be to everyone's taste but I think the singers do an amazing job getting the music across, amazingly tight harmony. I'd really like to hear them doing Renaissance music: William Byrd, Orlando di Lasso and others.

I performed with an early music in college, I miss the a capella singing.

Great post. Pentatonix' Christmas album is by far our favorite ... just a ton of fun.
Is that your boat, in your avatar pic?

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #41,212 of 155,095
Here's another music recommendation that may be of interest to some of you..... Quite heavy and progressive. Can be got on Spotify for sure.

Earthside - A Dream in Static

Right up my alley, thanks for the recommendation!

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #41,213 of 155,095
The New iPad Pro! also known as "what headphone jack?" edition

The new MacBook Air! aka what SD card slot

New apple pencil! aka old one still sells for same price and the only functional one with your new iPad is now $30 more

The new iMac! aka what iMac

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #41,215 of 155,095
I'm glad I never got started with Mac anything.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #41,216 of 155,095
I purchased my LISST for Saga this morning. I should have bought it when I ordered my Modi 3 and Tung-Sol tube last month.

I was strongly considering getting a Loki with it. If I'm playing around with tubes and LISST, why not get an EQ and have even more fun with it. I decided against it though because this is for a 2 channel setup, and I'm lazy. So after playing around with it for a week I'd probably stop enjoying it.

Speaking of which: high on my Schiit wish-list is a remote controlled EQ in the "Loki" line. Preferably single ended, in a Saga size chassis, and relatively cheap (for what it is). Funds willing, that would be a definite purchase for me. The Bifrost funds are already put aside for whenever that gets updated, so Loki Maxi is probably what I would save up for next.

In terms of the Bifrost, what I'm really hoping for is that the new Schiit USB implementation, which Mike has said will make interfacing with Multibit DACs more simple, will allow the board to shrink enough that they can add a discrete I/V stage instead of the current op-amp analog stage. This would help tangibly differentiate Bimby and Mimby.

Bimby was first released almost exactly three years ago. In Jason's post about it, he said there was no way to fit a discrete I/V stage. But 3 years is a long time, and Jason and Mike have been known to make things work that they previously said they could never do. If the new Schiit USB interface helps make this dream a reality... I'll be very, very happy.

Otherwise, the new USB interface will still sound better, and an eventual Analog 2 board will make some additional evolutionary changes, perhaps trickled down from Yggy's Analog 2 upgrade, that help move things forward without any major reinvention. I'll be happy then too.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #41,217 of 155,095
The New iPad Pro! also known as "what headphone jack?" edition

I'll avoid getting into broad technology debates for the sake of this thread, but the on-topic point I'd like to make is that they did switch to USB C. This should make it much easier to connect to external devices, like DACs, without the need for adapters like the USB Camera Connection Kit. Frankly I would love to see them do the same thing with the next iPhone, so I can continue using it as a source with my Schiit stack and in my car with less hassle.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #41,219 of 155,095
Now seriously folks, I am still seeing Vali 2 headphone tube amps on the B-stock. I have never owned a tube amp, so would this me a good introduction, or should save up for another model.
$99 is an attractive price for experimentation with tubes. Thanks. Oops, never-mind the listing is gone.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #41,220 of 155,095
I purchased my LISST for Saga this morning. I should have bought it when I ordered my Modi 3 and Tung-Sol tube last month.

I was strongly considering getting a Loki with it. If I'm playing around with tubes and LISST, why not get an EQ and have even more fun with it. I decided against it though because this is for a 2 channel setup, and I'm lazy. So after playing around with it for a week I'd probably stop enjoying it.

I'm also thinking of picking up a Lisst tube for my Saga before they are gone... but to be honest, I don't understand what it's going to do different from running in Passive mode??? What's the deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back