Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #41,117 of 150,690
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #41,120 of 150,690
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #41,121 of 150,690
Phillips (the co-inventor of the optical drive with Sony - the "S" and "P" of S/PDIF) has always made perhaps the best transport mechanisms in the world.
I think I'll come over and build it in your workshop with your background support.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #41,124 of 150,690
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #41,126 of 150,690
IMG_0156.jpg This is my latest Schiit Coaster amp build. When completed the LED lights soon to be mounted below will flash through the various holes around the edge, activated by music. I am using the Coaster as a tiny speaker amp and most all electronics will be mounted inside. This is more of a gift for my granddaughter and I hope to stand the tubes up and paint them with figures like the space aliens from the Simpsons. My son may find it really annoying because it will also flash most any time a coffee cup is set down or a desk chair is moved but that is part of the fun. :L3000:IMG_0148.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #41,127 of 150,690
Also I would like to add that charging $225 for the PCB is highway robbery. The Schiit coasters are 4 for $12, and Pass Labs and their affiliated DIY Audio Stores sell all of their PCBs for roughly a tenth of the cost.

@earnmyturns Thank you for the link to the HP-1. While I like the feature set it looks "eerily like the Jotenhiem" (probably just parallel/convergent evolution) and it offers the chance to build a Jotenhiem like amp, I'll swipe left on this one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, building it would cost more than my Jot and it would be very unlikely to actually function if I built it due to the number of super tiny parts and my limited SMD soldering skills. And troubleshooting to find the bad solder joint would be like listening to Boney M for hours.
They are actually quite different in design, and they sound different. As for "highway robbery," it's very small batch production of a multilayer board from a single-person operation.

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #41,129 of 150,690
Oct 28, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #41,130 of 150,690
Oh gawd, you guys are starting to venture into areas where I'm not sure where to go--specifically, what to do about the next generation of Mjolnir.

Now, before you get too excited, there are exactly zero candidates as of this moment to replace the Mjolnir 2. But that's not to say that I haven't thought about where to go next. Right now, it's a large, hot, tube hybrid amp that isn't particularly desktop friendly. And, now that the LISSTs are going away (too hard to build, too slow to sell), one question becomes: should we stick to a tube hybrid amp, or should we move back to 100% solid state?

Before you answer, consider this: I have some very cool solid state tricks that haven't yet been released. And consider that it might also be a good idea to move this amp to a more desktop-friendly size. And consider that if we don't do tubes, we don't have a tube hybrid balanced amp in the lineup. And consider that solid state always outsells tubes. Aaaaannddd...then you may begin to see why I'm wondering which way to go.

No huge deal. This is pretty far out in the future. I'll probably end up building a couple of prototypes and making a decision based on more data (read: how they sound.) And, as usual, nothing may happen at all. Look how old Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 are.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back