Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #41,131 of 149,678
Oh gawd, you guys are starting to venture into areas where I'm not sure where to go--specifically, what to do about the next generation of Mjolnir.

Now, before you get too excited, there are exactly zero candidates as of this moment to replace the Mjolnir 2. But that's not to say that I haven't thought about where to go next. Right now, it's a large, hot, tube hybrid amp that isn't particularly desktop friendly. And, now that the LISSTs are going away (too hard to build, too slow to sell), one question becomes: should we stick to a tube hybrid amp, or should we move back to 100% solid state?

Before you answer, consider this: I have some very cool solid state tricks that haven't yet been released. And consider that it might also be a good idea to move this amp to a more desktop-friendly size. And consider that if we don't do tubes, we don't have a tube hybrid balanced amp in the lineup. And consider that solid state always outsells tubes. Aaaaannddd...then you may begin to see why I'm wondering which way to go.

No huge deal. This is pretty far out in the future. I'll probably end up building a couple of prototypes and making a decision based on more data (read: how they sound.) And, as usual, nothing may happen at all. Look how old Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 are.
If you can make it balanced like Jotunheim, sound closer to Lyr 3 with a good tube, physical width and depth comparable to those... Either two tube hybrid, or solid state, whatever sounds better. For me, it's acceptable to have a separate DC power supply that I can store under the desk. But that might be too complicated.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #41,132 of 149,678
Oh gawd, you guys are starting to venture into areas where I'm not sure where to go--specifically, what to do about the next generation of Mjolnir.

Now, before you get too excited, there are exactly zero candidates as of this moment to replace the Mjolnir 2. But that's not to say that I haven't thought about where to go next. Right now, it's a large, hot, tube hybrid amp that isn't particularly desktop friendly. And, now that the LISSTs are going away (too hard to build, too slow to sell), one question becomes: should we stick to a tube hybrid amp, or should we move back to 100% solid state?

Before you answer, consider this: I have some very cool solid state tricks that haven't yet been released. And consider that it might also be a good idea to move this amp to a more desktop-friendly size. And consider that if we don't do tubes, we don't have a tube hybrid balanced amp in the lineup. And consider that solid state always outsells tubes. Aaaaannddd...then you may begin to see why I'm wondering which way to go.

No huge deal. This is pretty far out in the future. I'll probably end up building a couple of prototypes and making a decision based on more data (read: how they sound.) And, as usual, nothing may happen at all. Look how old Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 are.

@Jason Stoddard: On the form factor, do you see the larger less important to the product line? Or rather that there are other / better options that may match better with the Gungnir size?

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #41,133 of 149,678
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #41,134 of 149,678
Before you answer, consider this: I have some very cool solid state tricks that haven't yet been released. And consider that it might also be a good idea to move this amp to a more desktop-friendly size.

tenor.gif

New and more awesome solid state Schiit! Just don't forget the required IO:grin:
I need both Balanced and SE.

mjolnir-2-back-1920.jpg

For me, it's acceptable to have a separate DC power supply that I can store under the desk.

This would be cool, I'd pay up for something like this.
Even a double stack would work, or double thickness like Yggy or Rok.

You could even put a toroidal transformer in it. :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #41,135 of 149,678
...Source: .http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5goXugFId-k/UeW7pVPvMdI/AAAAAAAABWM/Dx67ItKU8hw/s1600/say_whaaaat.jpg ; downloaded 14:55 EST, Oct. 28/18; author: Blogspot.4CE7FFF6-D2B4-4249-8455-4E76647D413E.jpeg...
I’m suprised the LISST tubes are suffering lackluster sales (not suprised by the difficult manufacturing). I haven’t seen anything written about Schiit spinning off low-selling items onto separate companies.That’s a pity. My fellow audiophiles are an odd bunch. And a fickle bunch (me included). I suspect “we’re” adverse to change. Tube amps on one side... Solid state on the other side. Hybrid? Meh...

My middle-aged ears can’t discern a dramatic difference between my S/S Magni and hybrid-tube Vali 2. And yes, I’m rocking the stock tube (~1-2h listening/day for the last 2 weeks). My Vali’s glow is a psychological boost. After upgrading my listening nook’s source (with either a hat-covered Pi or a Bluesound Node2/2i), I can see upgrading along the solid state track. Modular? Yes. I like specialized devices... jack-of-all-trades toys don’t impress me. And I like my tone control (Loki). I don’t envy Shiit Audio’s strategic planners.... :triportsad:

Last musing (edit): is there any appetite for Schiit products with see-through cases? The red boards look like little art installations to me. Yes, I’ve downloaded board images from the site (for personal use). Transparent aluminium doesn’t exist... I know...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #41,136 of 149,678
I'm a fan of tube hybrid amps and of the Mjolnir 2 in particular, so I have no plans to replace mine. But maybe an Aegir-style balanced head/speaker amp little brother to Ragnarok... might fill the Mjolnir product niche and expand the 2-channel lineup as well.

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #41,137 of 149,678
@Jason Stoddard: On the form factor, do you see the larger less important to the product line? Or rather that there are other / better options that may match better with the Gungnir size?

It's just a big amp for any desk. A better size would be 8x12" or s (lop 4" off the side). This is an OK desktop size. 8x16" is huge.

I'm less worried about stacking, because "desktop" to me means more "all in one." Gungnir, Freya, etc are fine at 16" wide because they sit on shelves and are more frequently used with speakers (and, in the case of Freya, they have remote control).

Of course, a new chassis size IS a huge pain in the ass for someone who wants to stack gear. But again, nothing is set in stone. I'm just blue-skying here.

...Source: .http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5goXugFId-k/UeW7pVPvMdI/AAAAAAAABWM/Dx67ItKU8hw/s1600/say_whaaaat.jpg ; downloaded 14:55 EST, Oct. 28/18; author: Blogspot....
I’m suprised the LISST tubes are suffering lackluster sales (not suprised by the difficult manufacturing). I haven’t seen anything written about Schiit spinning off low-selling items onto separate companies.That’s a pity. My fellow audiophiles are an odd bunch. And a fickle bunch (me included). I suspect “we’re” adverse to change. Tube amps on one side... Solid state on the other side. Hybrid? Meh...

LISST sold pretty well to start, then dropped off a cliff. Novals are now out of stock and not listed as options. Octal will soon get there, and we won't make any more. If I take a look at LISST again, I'm going to design a proper, die-cast, dis-assemblable case for the product, hopefully key-locked so nobody takes them apart and grabs onto several hundred volts if it's in a running amp. I would also look at re-curving the devices so they behave more like tubes. The difficulty of both together means we probably won't be doing LISST again.

One way to simplify the line is to kill products. Another way is to remove options. We're removing some options--specifically, the low-take-rate, pain-in-the-rear-end stuff, like LISST. (Oh yeah, and if Asgard 3 in Continuity form ever comes to pass, don't be surprised if it is ONLY sold with the 4490 DAC at $299--no option for amp-only. But that's still a BIG what-if.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #41,138 of 149,678
I'm a fan of tube hybrid amps and of the Mjolnir 2 in particular, so I have no plans to replace mine. But maybe an Aegir-style balanced head/speaker amp little brother to Ragnarok... might fill the Mjolnir product niche and expand the 2-channel lineup as well.

This is a neat idea, but I'm not sure it makes sense for mjolner in particular, I always thought of it as an end-game headphone amp (indeed, the product page supports this). That said, products change; the lyr, for example, didn't start as an all-in-one, and a Rag Junior sounds pretty nice...

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #41,140 of 149,678
I'm less worried about stacking, because "desktop" to me means more "all in one." Gungnir, Freya, etc are fine at 16" wide because they sit on shelves and are more frequently used with speakers (and, in the case of Freya, they have remote control).

Anecdotes are not data.
Anecdotes are not data.
Anecdotes are not data.

HOWEVER, my Gungnir sits on a night stand, with an Asgard 2 perched on top of it (and an emergency Magni 3 off to one side).

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #41,141 of 149,678

...And here I am planning to use my newly ordered gumby as my desktop dac, with my lyr 3 stacked on top of it, welp ._.

(Also, this is my 50th head-fi post! Officially not a "new head-fier" anymore, hell yeah.)

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #41,142 of 149,678
Based on my experience with Ragnarok, all solid state is not a hindrance to great sound as far as I'm concerned. I generally prefer to listen with it and my Abyss on large scale orchestral (my meat and potatoes). Unlike my Jot, LYR-3 and MJ2 I find the midrange positioning best; not too forward, not too recessed. And of course with the tubed units the choice of tube can have an effect on that forwardness to a small extent. Smaller ensembles sound great and can give that "I'm there" illusion at times with those smaller 3 amps, vocals usually respond nicely with a robust midrange also to the 3. But there is no way to get that illusion with a 100 piece orchestra in a room with speakers or with headphones. There's something else going on, be it the shear greater volume of space for the sound to propagate in or some other aspects of the physics of it all. The Ragnarok is the best compromise for me with large scale works.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #41,143 of 149,678
should we stick to a tube hybrid amp, or should we move back to 100% solid state?

Personally, I'm learning that I don't want to futz around with tubes anymore on the more affordable amps I use at my work office, mini-bedroom setup, etc. The tube rolling nervosa is killing it for me in cost and enjoyment. (Personal problem, I know, but one I feel I'm not alone having.) I have no problem going full out on a high end OTL/transformer output tube setup on my main living room setup, if I found one I liked, but the Mj2 just doesn't fit the bill for me there.

Realise the tricks first, then release. One thing I appreciate from software vendors, equipment manufacturers, or what have you, is that best ones have a "it will be done when it is done, and only then will we release it" mentality.

I think the Lyr 3 shows that you would need to go bigger, as that chassis is crammed for space. The Mj2 case might be too big, but a little extra space for thermals is a good thing. I can make enough room for the Gungnir on a desk, I just need to be able to stack upwards. Stacking a Ragnarok on top of a Yggy though, that's not quite desktop friendly even though the footprint is the same.

I think Schiit has done very well giving it's customers very good products at great prices. With that said, it's also kind of a no-frills deal. People want some of the cool goodies like stepped attenuators, remotes, standby modes, etc. Let's face it, the power switch on the back would be far less of a pain point for some people if we had a remote with a standby button. I think it's time to start incorporating more of that stuff into your products.

There is nothing wrong with Mj2 remaining in the lineup like those two have. It still gives customers a great alternative if they want to go the tube route.

Thanks for listening and sharing with us @Jason Stoddard!

:vulcan:

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #41,144 of 149,678

If you do decide to kill Mjolnir, please give me some warning so that I can order one before they disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back