Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #41,161 of 151,772
Just ordered an LISST for my LYR-3. Just because.

Let me know how you like it, they might make good spares in case a tube bites the dust and there is no doubt about their being matched. :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #41,162 of 151,772
Let me know how you like it, they might make good spares in case a tube bites the dust and there is no doubt about their being matched. :)

Will do. I have a pair of them for my MJ2 so I figure I might as well have one for my LYR3. The MJ2 cans are okay to fine and while the bass is usually better controlled and subjectively deeper the highs with them are not as sweet or smooth as with decent tubes. It's the decades old tube vs SS histrionics. Small differences to be sure, and very small with say my Ragnarok, as well as, I'm sure, many other SS designs from a variety of manufacturers.

One of the issues I see with the NOS tubes is I think it's possible we may be scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point and seeing some recycled or defective valves on offer, and new production tubes don't always seem to give the same level of sound performance as the good condition NOS's, for whatever reason. While the newer stuff may measure exactly as needed there may be some "special sauce" that's been lost (or it could be just the pull of nostalgia). And I've got enough 6DJ8's and 6SN7's to keep me going until I stop going, so....

Then there's the searching for and pricing aspects of NOS tubes and hoping you get what you paid for them in performance. I'm all for a super solid state design that suits my ears and marries those qualities that can make tube sound so enticing.with the superior performance aspects of SS.

And, it keeps things interesting.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #41,163 of 151,772
I'm waiting to upgrade my Bifrost Uber with Multibit v2 upgrade, whenever that may come. Not sure if I'll upgrade the USB-section, as I've started using the optical connection (due to horrific electrical noise with USB) on my current DAC.

At this point I'm really not loving the USB, optical is better in my case, as usual YMMV. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #41,164 of 151,772
Just got e-mail notification that my LYR3 LISST I ordered a few hours ago has shipped, that's service. And, genius marketing on Jason's part, LOL!

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #41,165 of 151,772
Yeah -- worked on me. I didn't want one until he said they were going away, then I had to have one. Ordered one for the hell of it. :D

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #41,166 of 151,772
Yeah -- worked on me. I didn't want one until he said they were going away, then I had to have one. Ordered one for the hell of it. :D
They are selling quickly and not even on the B stock list yet, Jason's plan appears to be working all right.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #41,167 of 151,772
They are selling quickly and not even on the B stock list yet, Jason's plan appears to be working all right.

Wow never saw Yggy in b stock before, I don't look as often as some though. Good deals there :)

Yggdrasil
B-Stock, 115V, Silver
$2199

And a nice alternative.

Gungnir Multibit
B-stock, 115v
$1169

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #41,168 of 151,772
I get what you're saying, but I also want to make sure that people realize the Ragnarok is their TOTL solid state headphone amp.

Well considering the velocity with which Schiit updates and comes up with new models, the current Ragnarok is practically ancient.

Also it only does 4 wpc into 8 ohms in Class A. They have a new amp that does 10 wpc with the same conditions, now that's what 3.5 dbf more - not a ton - but HFM Susvara and new and old HE6 could probably benefit from those watts.

Then there is the less easy to prove contention I have that that Freya is a better pre-amp than what's in the Rag.

Finally, if you are into tube rolling the Rag does not help.

Of course the Rag does excellent duty as an integrated amp, something the Aegir in order to really stretch to the limits is going to have to be run mono, adda Freya and it easily eclipses the Rag price

I'm a big fan of my Rag, but if Schiit puts out a 10 wpc all class A stereo amp with 4 pin XLR's on it I'm going to get that and the Freya and put my email and phone on 10 day vacation notice.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #41,169 of 151,772
Wow never saw Yggy in b stock before, I don't look as often as some though. Good deals there :)

Yggdrasil
B-Stock, 115V, Silver
$2199

And a nice alternative.

Gungnir Multibit
B-stock, 115v
$1169

I have purchased a B stock Gumby in the past. I never could see anything that made it a b stock as far as appearance. It was a winner purchase.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #41,171 of 151,772
This is my latest Schiit Coaster amp build. When completed the LED lights soon to be mounted below will flash through the various holes around the edge, activated by music. I am using the Coaster as a tiny speaker amp and most all electronics will be mounted inside. This is more of a gift for my granddaughter and I hope to stand the tubes up and paint them with figures like the space aliens from the Simpsons. My son may find it really annoying because it will also flash most any time a coffee cup is set down or a desk chair is moved but that is part of the fun. :L3000:

That is seriously cool. I'm seriously impresses with your work. Do you ever sleep?

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #41,173 of 151,772
Hi all,

I have a Saga and was looking at the Lisst "tube" option. I don't quite understand what that will do/change about the Saga.

Thanks

Replacing the tubes with the LISSTs will give a solid-state option. This can give you a slightly different sound; it can run cooler; the LISSTs won't wear out.

If I was ready to buy the preamp(s), I'd get them with the LISST option. I'll be sad to see them go.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #41,174 of 151,772
That is seriously cool. I'm seriously impresses with your work. Do you ever sleep?

sure some nights I get as many as four hours of sleep. Soon I will put up a video in the Coaster thread showing this thing reacting to music. Actual build time on this might have been two hours since I already had the Coaster amp completed. I still have to mount some tiny speakers and do a bit of wiring but I have until Christmas to get it done.

The idea of the plastic dome was Jimmers I do believe. :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #41,175 of 151,772
OK paladin, tell him what engineers do----.

Well in my case, I envision something then it is pretty well done except for the actual work lol. I have had some of the parts laying around for a few months and finally got a chance to spend some time with it. I will do the same thing with some Amp Camp mono blocks, I laid them down a few months ago but I will pick them up and finish them when the time comes, I have already thought through the process and it is just a matter of setting aside a few hours one day to finish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back