Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #40,726 of 150,294
Okay, totally on-topic question, by the rules: Asgard 2 and heat.

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

It sounds good, so there's no reason for it to go back. It's just a bit of a shock to me.
Grab a 40 watt incandescent lamp after it has been on for a while for comparison. Asgard at least integrates it over a much larger surface area.

Sorry for the tardy post, another Head-Fier already posted the same analogy. That is what happens when you sleep late.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #40,727 of 150,294
I watched the Ragnarok build video on the Schiit channel this morning.
The man building the Ragnarok speaks about "devices" a few times.
Can somebody who saw it tell me what he means by that?
He is talking about the output transistors.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #40,728 of 150,294
listening-nook-without-cable-covers-2018Oct.jpg
Sorry... my iPad refuses to reorient my image...

Okay, totally on-topic question, by the rules: Asgard 2 and heat.

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

It sounds good, so there's no reason for it to go back. It's just a bit of a shock to me.

Yes, it's normal. Some people would even put on rubberbands to make it less hot to the touch. :)
Mine never gets too hot to hold, though.

Hmm, I own Asgard too and I never feel like the volume knob is too hot that I need to touch it briefly. In fact, even the top of the amp feels very pleasurable to me, hell.. one of my cats love to sleep on it during autumn/winter :D
...so I’ll need to pick up a can of pressurized air to clean out my Vali? Roger that.
Maybe you don't have a high heat tolerance?
I hope our house-panthers don’t get it into their stupid-carnivore heads ro use my gear as paw warmers. So... remember to blow out the black fur that’ll eventually build up in my Vali. Roger that.
When I owned an Asgard 2, the volume control was never too hot to operate. But then my home office is always around 71F ~ 21C.

The volume control on my Asgard 2 has never been too hot to hold. Does your amp have good ventilation?

JC
If Schiit relies on passive cooling, I ensure free air-flow above my MODI. I reorganized my listening nook to split up my stacks.
Grab a 40 watt incandescent lamp after it has been on for a while for comparison. Asgard at least integrates it over a much larger surface area.

Sorry for the tardy post, another Head-Fier already posted the same analogy. That is what happens when you sleep late.
Passive cooling... heat-sinks... fanless-designs...
The only Schiit box in my stack that remains cool is my SYS. It’s unnerving how warm these little boxes get. Rubber bands on the ‘pots’, eh? That might help my bear-mits to grasp & fine-tune them. I’ve been assured by the forum and customer service , this is normal. The only parts that get warmer are these 115V floor warts (UL-listed so I won’t freak out).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #40,729 of 150,294
<snark>Your tastes run more into smooth Jazz than mine, so just to prove that we can take Jazz and not destroy it,</snark> I'm going to counter your recommendation with one for John Scofield.

I've been a fan of his since I ran across a couple of Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood shows earlier this year (legal audience recordings available on the intarwebs, if you look hard enough). IMHO Scofield's guitar adds a whole other rock-like dimension to MMW's avant-jazz. Really makes it more approachable and enjoyable for me.

As far as an album recommendation, I'll go with Scofield's Uberjam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überjam which also features Medeski on keyboards on a few tracks.

I've seen MMW live both with and without John Scofield, and they are awesome. NOT smooth jazz, very original in their musical explorations.

Scofield has played with Phil Lesh (bassist for the Grateful Dead), caught that scene with Warren Haynes and Jackie Greene as the other guitarists in the band. Scofield thrives in the open-ended jams at the core of the GD catalog.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #40,730 of 150,294
The volume control on my Asgard 2 has never been too hot to hold. Does your amp have good ventilation?

JC

Yes.

Sorry... my iPad refuses to reorient my image...

I hope our house-panthers don’t get it into their stupid-carnivore heads ro use my gear as paw warmers. So... remember to blow out the black fur that’ll eventually build up in my Vali. Roger that.

If Schiit relies on passive cooling, I ensure free air-flow above my MODI. I reorganized my listening nook to split up my stacks.

Passive cooling... heat-sinks... fanless-designs...
The only Schiit box in my stack that remains cool is my SYS. It’s unnerving how warm these little boxes get. Rubber bands on the ‘pots’, eh? That might help my bear-mits to grasp & fine-tune them. I’ve been assured by the forum and customer service , this is normal. The only parts that get warmer are these 115V floor warts (UL-listed so I won’t freak out).

This is in a whole other league from the Magni/Modi family (I have all of them). I don't remember the Asgard's knobs being so warm at RMAF when they were shown, and certainly Raggy and Mjolnir didn't get toasty there. (The Asgard 2 wasn't at the show this year. Read into that what you will.)

If I had a FLIR camera, I'd take a picture of it. The case getting that hot was expected. The manual makes a point of mentioning it. The knob, though? I wasn't expecting that.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #40,731 of 150,294
There has been a ton of discussion here about setting up a network music system, so I though I'd share some info about how to make it easy. Please note I have no interest in the products I am about to mention except that I have used them both.

Let's assume you want to set up a music server in your home. You want to stream audio from the Internet and/or from a service like Tidal, and you have music files on a hard drive or NAS that you'd like to play. You have decided that you want to use Roon to control your system. Here are two solutions that are as close to plug and play as possible, and which require no computer knowledge or special skills. They only require a little money.

The two devices I have in mind are the Roon Nucleus and the Elac Discovery. Both are music server computers in nice compact cases. Both are silent with no fans or rotating hard drives so they can be placed right in your rack as part of a music-oriented system. Both come pre-loaded with a version of Roon but only the Discovery allows you to avoid subscription fees. And both are readily available for just over a $1000 investment (as of this writing the Discovery is $1100 and the Nucleus is $1400 on Amazon.) With Nucleus you’ll have to also pay the $500 lifetime Roon license so consider that.

Here's how you use them: You plug them in to power and the Internet as part of an Ethernet network (neither offers wireless.) You connect them to your music system (more on that in a bit.) You either plug in a USB hard drive or NAS holding your music (or you direct them to the folder containing your music elsewhere on your home network.) You download a control app to your PC, Mac, tablet or phone, or all of these, log into your Tidal account if you choose to go that way or select the local track you want to hear, and you begin playing music. No Pi DIY, no special computer knowledge required, no difficult setup (although there is a little bit of setup, but even a novice should be able to do it.) That's it. Except for the cost nothing could be easier.

What is the difference between the two?

The Nucleus is a Roon server with one USB or HDMI digital output so it must be used with a receiver/preamp or external DAC that accepts one of these. The Discovery is a Roon server with USB and S/PDIF digital outputs but it also has dual analog outputs, meaning it has two (decent sounding but not great) DACs built in so it can be connected to an analog input of a music system making it more flexible. Also, the three outputs on the Discovery (digital, analog 1 and analog 2) appear as different "endpoints" (Roon-speak for player) in the Roon app and can be controlled separately, meaning you actually have three different players available. You could connect the digital out to your main music system and one of the analogs to a second zone and use them both at the same time, playing the same or different content. The digital outputs on both sound pretty much the same and the quality you hear will be dependent on what you connect them to. The analog outs on the Discovery sound to me as good as a mid-level CD player. Acceptable and listenable but can be improved upon. Nucleus comes with a full version of Roon and Discovery with Roon Essentials. The notable difference between the two is Essentials has a max local library size limit of 100,000 tracks and does not support DSD nor multichannel audio via HDMI.

Both devices are Roon servers, so if you have other endpoints in your home they can all be "seen" and controlled from the app and can all access whatever music is connected to the server.

There are many other solutions, and many that can be cheaper. But in my opinion if you want to get into the network music game as easily as possible, one of these is a good solution.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #40,732 of 150,294
I agree that sometimes language can be a little difficult here.
For whom English is not the first or even second language it's easy to make mistakes and be mistaken.
I know even the Brits and the US'ers have trouble understanding each other sometimes.
Last week there was a Scottish PM who asked some questions to an English PM.
The English PM was not capable to understand his fellow Great Britain citizen at all.

Must have been from Glasgow then. I once got a new team member, also from Glasgow, and it took me more than three weeks to start understanding few bits and pieces.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #40,733 of 150,294
Must have been from Glasgow then. I once got a new team member, also from Glasgow, and it took me more than three weeks to start understanding few bits and pieces.
Maybe.
The odd thing is that when people sing there's no accent. (with a few exceptions)

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #40,735 of 150,294
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #40,736 of 150,294
Watch out @Jason Stoddard, Steve Guttenberg is coming for Schiit Audio if he wins the lotto.
I'm pretty sure Jason and Mike would sell out for a billion. Then they could start another company, maybe called "Assless Audio."

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #40,737 of 150,294
I'm pretty sure Jason and Mike would sell out for a billion. Then they could start another company, maybe called "Assless Audio."
I think their next company should be called "Unicorn Tears, Inc."

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #40,738 of 150,294
Since You asked, I doubt many know this one:

Unfortunately, this disc is out of print. Raga Yaman is considered one of the simplest Ragas and this performance has a stately enough pace that even a novice can follow the fractal progressions as they slowly expand and then contract during the performance.

Raga Yaman is an evening Raga and historically is not played before the disc of sun has begun to touch the horizon. So settle down, preferably where you can watch the sunset and enjoy.

I have one of Anoushka Shankar’s discs which I love, so this sounds great. The game is afoot!

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #40,739 of 150,294
Glaswegians are easier (IMO) to understand than those from further north (read: Aberdeen). Let’s just not talk about Newcastle and Geordies... BA used to have a call centre there, and on occasion I had to ask nicely for another rep...)

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #40,740 of 150,294
This Asgard heat discussion probably offers one interesting insight into why Jason wants to move to Continuity. If people here are this concerned about chassis heat just imagine how many random customer service emails they get on the subject. I would be willing to bet the number of people who are aware of Class A as an audiophile buzzword vs. the number of people who understand what it means on a technical level are probably on a 10:1 ratio at best. So you end up with people buying their first Class A amp and freaking out at how "hot" they get and emailing support because they want to be certain nothing is wrong with it.

Continuity seems to cut the idle current down by about half (unless I'm remembering wrong?) which should be enough to take most products from hot to warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back