Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #40,741 of 150,841
Yes, Asgard 2 runs hot. Especially if your ambient temperature is high.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40,742 of 150,841
This Asgard heat discussion probably offers one interesting insight into why Jason wants to move to Continuity. If people here are this concerned about chassis heat just imagine how many random customer service emails they get on the subject. I would be willing to bet the number of people who are aware of Class A as an audiophile buzzword vs. the number of people who understand what it means on a technical level are probably on a 10:1 ratio at best. So you end up with people buying their first Class A amp and freaking out at how "hot" they get and emailing support because they want to be certain nothing is wrong with it.

Continuity seems to cut the idle current down by about half (unless I'm remembering wrong?) which should be enough to take most products from hot to warm.

As colder temperatures start moving in I can either haul in firewood for my wood stove or turn on a couple more class A amps. Having tube amps helps a bit as well and some tubes being rather pointy keeps the cats from laying on them as well. :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #40,743 of 150,841
This Asgard heat discussion probably offers one interesting insight into why Jason wants to move to Continuity. If people here are this concerned about chassis heat just imagine how many random customer service emails they get on the subject. I would be willing to bet the number of people who are aware of Class A as an audiophile buzzword vs. the number of people who understand what it means on a technical level are probably on a 10:1 ratio at best. So you end up with people buying their first Class A amp and freaking out at how "hot" they get and emailing support because they want to be certain nothing is wrong with it.

Continuity seems to cut the idle current down by about half (unless I'm remembering wrong?) which should be enough to take most products from hot to warm.

The problem is, people still freak out about "warm," thinking OMG HEAT IS THE ENEMY OF ELECTRONICS ARGH ARGH GONNA DIE HOLY CRAP! because they read it somewhere on the intartubes. This, despite the fact that the heat from their Surface Pro means they don't use it on their lap and their phone heats up in their hand when they're running some GPS-based stuff in the boonies.

I've written about this before, but learn a bit about capacitor temperature derating before you freak out. Also, the temperatures at which semiconductor junctions start spontaneously degrading are far, far above what any sane manufacturer will run--they would literally be out of business from service demands in a couple of years if they ran stuff that close to the edge.

If you want something that runs damn near cold, there's always Modi 3 and Fulla 2.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #40,744 of 150,841
As colder temperatures start moving in I can either haul in firewood for my wood stove or turn on a couple more class A amps. Having tube amps helps a bit as well and some tubes being rather pointy keeps the cats from laying on them as well. :)

Hahahaha, I can picture Constanza reading that and laughing hysterically at the innocence of it.

giphy.gif

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #40,745 of 150,841

In the winter, with the lights dimmed, my wife and I like to roast marshmallows over my 70 WPC KT88/6SN7-based tube amp. Along with the heat, the amp provides nice mood lighting.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #40,746 of 150,841
In the winter, with the lights dimmed, my wife and I like to roast marshmallows over my 70 WPC KT88/6SN7-based tube amp. Along with the heat, the amp provides nice mood lighting.

Sweet:)

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #40,747 of 150,841
I am a fan of 6sn7's and was certainly glad to see Schiit use them in some of their products.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #40,748 of 150,841
<snark>Your tastes run more into smooth Jazz than mine, so just to prove that we can take Jazz and not destroy it,</snark> I'm going to counter your recommendation with one for John Scofield.

I've been a fan of his since I ran across a couple of Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood shows earlier this year (legal audience recordings available on the intarwebs, if you look hard enough). IMHO Scofield's guitar adds a whole other rock-like dimension to MMW's avant-jazz. Really makes it more approachable and enjoyable for me.

As far as an album recommendation, I'll go with Scofield's Uberjam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überjam which also features Medeski on keyboards on a few tracks.
Just crazy. I've been laid up the last week and no tunes. Just literally downloaded John Scofield "Combo 66" and listening for the first time as I read this post. Fate?

Love this so far

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #40,749 of 150,841
Looking at the B stock, I am very tempted to get the Mani. Do I need it? No. Would it let me hook up the turn table that is currently collecting dust to my stereo system? Yes. Are there already two turn tables connected to that system? Maybe... Do I actually have physical room in the current set up for the third turn table... not really...

Also, trying to save up for a decent set of closed back cans, so the Mani would set that goal back a little bit.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #40,750 of 150,841
Hahahaha, I can picture Constanza reading that and laughing hysterically at the innocence of it.
Constanza is prepared for this winter.
I bought her a little electrical warmth cushion for the night.
It could be the way to keep her of my Ygdrassil.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #40,752 of 150,841
I am a fan of 6sn7's and was certainly glad to see Schiit use them in some of their products.

Yes, and all this Schiit has made the prices go up, @Ripper2860 may have done this alone. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #40,753 of 150,841

As long as the manufacturer didn't desecrate the warm orange-red glow of the tubes with blue LEDs lighting them from underneath.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #40,754 of 150,841
As long as the manufacturer didn't desecrate the warm orange-red glow of the tubes with blue LEDs lighting them from underneath.
I agree but I was taught to love both colors:

Hail to the Orange, Hail to the Blue
Hail Alma Mater, Ever so true
We love no other, So let our motto be
Victory, Illinois Varsity!

:slight_smile:

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #40,755 of 150,841
The problem is, people still freak out about "warm," thinking OMG HEAT IS THE ENEMY OF ELECTRONICS ARGH ARGH GONNA DIE HOLY CRAP!

Guilty, but nothing to do with the intartubes. More like having frail electronics that only work when they are stone cold, and worry about, well, frankly, everything from hot semiconductor junctions to thermal stress on PC boards. (The former from working with solar panels, where ambient temperature change can add or derate a panel by 30%, and the latter from having to repair cracked solder connections on the final amps on RF transmitter boards.)

*shrug*

If it gets that hot, it gets that hot.

For other readers, if I'm understanding the application of Continuity to a next-gen Asgard, it would run Class A up to 1 watt, something like the Asgard 2 does now, but would run in this new mode. I would expect it to still shed 40 watts of heat while sitting idle, but it wouldn't scale up linearly for power output of more than 1 watt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back