Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #39,451 of 150,671
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #39,452 of 150,671
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #39,454 of 150,671
FWIW: Send 10-watts per-channel of Class-A power into a pair of Tekton 'Lore' loudspeakers, and the walls will shake --very satisfyingly. Personal experience...

There is some information I retain, and some I tend to forget about but i do remember your praise of the Tektons and they are on my list of short term goals. I have heard nothing but good things about them and being American made certainly helps. Yours is one of the voices I listen to about such things. I listen to Ripper when he talks about mescal, it is practically the same thing. Oops, Texas won, make that Sir Ripper.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #39,455 of 150,671
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #39,456 of 150,671
Somehow they managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!! :D

That was a great game! Before I get the Tektons I am committed to getting some La Scalas but that will be short term and I may have to wait till my wife is on an extended trip and dispose of them before she returns.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #39,457 of 150,671
Ok so all this talk about wifi routers etc has brought up a long term research project I'm trying to gain some traction with.

Does anyone know of any wifi routers where I can reduce the wifi signal power that is radiated from the device?
I looked at the unbiquity site and there doesn't appear to be a way to even ask this question, which I find odd.

And they are not alone in not being able to ask a pre-sales question and actually get a knowledgeable answer.

Perhaps there is a website that will cover this topic but thus far I have not found it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JJ

Ubiquiti has a forum that people use for most questions and general talk. There is an option in the control for the access point to change the output power so you can put it in low, med, high, or auto for each 2.4ghz and 5ghz brands. I do not know if it has to be done with their software controller or how easy it is with just the AP connected to an existing network. I just got done putting an ubiquiti setup in at my place and it blows my previous router away.

20180930_212620.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #39,458 of 150,671
Yeah I am wondering about that myself, my understanding is that most speakers get to a relatively loud volume levels in the first few watts, and there is some diminishing returns in the fact that it takes progressively more watts to obtain each successive decibel. Add all that together with me being a noob, who has no audio stores around, and I have no clear idea how well a lower wattage amp like this will drive the speakers I have in mind, to the db level I want.
A 3dB increase correlates to a doubling of amplifier output power.

Example: if you have a speaker rated at '90dB 1-Watt per-meter' sensitivity, and feed it 1-Watt of amplifier power, then you get a 90dB SPL (sound pressure level) at a listening position one meter in front of the speaker. If the amplifier output power to this speaker is then *doubled* to 2-Watts, you will achieve an SPL of 93dB at the same listening position in front of the speaker. To achieve an additional 3dB of SPL from the same speaker (a 96dB SPL) , one must again *double* the amplifier power, to 4-Watts. And so on.....

Just remember that 3dB of gain is equivalent to a doubling of power.

Check this out: https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-amp-speaker-spl/

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #39,459 of 150,671
That was a great game! Before I get the Tektons I am committed to getting some La Scalas but that will be short term and I may have to wait till my wife is on an extended trip and dispose of them before she returns.
La Scalas are really nice speakers, very dynamic. No disagreement here with that choice

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #39,461 of 150,671
Ok so all this talk about wifi routers etc has brought up a long term research project I'm trying to gain some traction with.

Does anyone know of any wifi routers where I can reduce the wifi signal power that is radiated from the device?
I looked at the unbiquity site and there doesn't appear to be a way to even ask this question, which I find odd.

And they are not alone in not being able to ask a pre-sales question and actually get a knowledgeable answer.

Perhaps there is a website that will cover this topic but thus far I have not found it.

Thanks JJ
Ubiquiti wireless AP can do this. I have not done it myself but it is on my to do list. I will do it this week and reconfirm with you

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #39,462 of 150,671
NOW I understand your disdain for ABBA... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, that is it ABBA. I have never been a fan of the word Abracadabra as well. You are wise beyond your years ItsAll.

I am still waiting for someone to respond to Ripper asking about a light on the Aegir telling when it is in or out of Class A mode lol.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #39,463 of 150,671

Thanks JJ

My Ruckus controller / AP setup supports this natively. My consumer Linksys gear supports this when flashed with DDWRT.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #39,464 of 150,671
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #39,465 of 150,671

Thanks JJ
The short answer is that many consumer grade and professional grade routers and access points allow this capability. The UniFi models that seem to be popular on this forum definitely do. Most manufacturers of consumer and pro gear post their specs and manuals online. In general - search for "Transmit Power Settings" or something similar, and it'll hopefully save you some effort once you narrow your search to the models you're considering.

From the UniFi manual...
Channel Select a channel number or keep the default, Auto. Transmit Power By default the transmit power is set to Auto. You can also manually select the following: • High The highest TX power available. • Medium Halfway between High and Low. • Low The lowest TX power available. • Custom Custom setting that you specify in the field provided. • Antenna Gain (Only available for specific models.) Specify the antenna gain.

[Edited - A different user posted the Aegir specs... oops]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back