Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #38,326 of 150,408
Hmm see I was right! :yum: You all did know better than me. Hivemind wins again.

Thanks for saving me some frustration. It had crossed my mind that Jason mentioned something like that (diodes/rectification) in the coaster chapters. I’m sure there is a way but it sounds like it will not be worth the squeeze. I did wonder how the regulators double the voltage. :beyersmile:

BOnus Schiit points for cricket. :poop:+1

Schiit points... :ksc75smile: On any other forum, I'd be offended.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #38,327 of 150,408
Charlie-Murphy.gif
Yes I am a habitual line-stepper, I believed I posted the very next part of the skit (w/ Dave as Rick James) weeks back. RIP Charlie Murphy. Loved that segment.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #38,328 of 150,408
I am running 2 Vidars into 1.7is. I can get SPL up to maybe 95-100 dB in the center of my room (13Wx25Dx8H) before the Vidars shut down. At first I thought it was purely a thermal thing, but then I put the Vidars on open shelves with fans below them. They will still shut down even though the temperature at the back fins is not too high. So I guess they're hitting a current limit.

I've not blown a fuse on the 1.7i tweeter, nor have a tried using the supplied 1 Ohm resistors to attenuate the tweeters, since I figure it's the low frequencies pulling the most current anyway.

I have a pair of Red Dragon M1000 mkII coming this Thursday to test, as they've gotten some good feedback on the Magnepan owners group, and cost the same as the Vidars. They are rated at 1100 W into 4 Ohm and are rated for dips to 2 Ohm.
So we'll see how class D sounds, and if I can avoid getting some behemoth like the Emotiva XPA-1, or some really expensive behemoth from McIntosh or Audio Research.

I'll be putting the Vidars into my workout room with some 8 Ohm speakers for now, and when I can swing it, maybe get a pair of Klipsch Forte III. I love the Maggies and don't want to give them up, but they're a bit harder to rock the house with

Yeah, I've run into the overcurrent issue on the Vidar that I use on my 4 ohm center channel. Temperature wise it's well under what I've seen when pushing my towers (which I can get up to ~105dB at a listening position of 13 feet (little over 3ish meters) away.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #38,329 of 150,408
I keep waiting to see if the long-rumored Schiit turntable emerges at some point.

To be honest, I was surprised when Jason mentioned working on a turntable design. I have to wonder if the TT project has perhaps been indefinitely sidelined due to other Schiit product development priorities?

If they ever do "pull the trigger" on that TT, I'd be interested in collaborating with them to develop a premium tube-type Schiit phono preamp.

Just thinking/scheming out loud --you heard it here first :wink:

Bottlehead has two Tube Phono Preamp kits. Those are way down on my priority list but they are one the list. Has anyone built or heard them? I'd like to use a Schiit TT for an all "analog"/tube/discrete (not sure that is the right word what I mean is no transistors in the audio circuit) audio chain.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #38,330 of 150,408
High end monitors like my Focals are XLR only.
I changed my ADAMs and got this luxury xlr problem :) so of course if you've xlr no need to try, I heard the Focals and they are very nice but I went for the cheaper ADAMs at the time. But the Focals have a nice feature that does the same as my isolater set the input from -10dB to +4dB

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #38,331 of 150,408

Good article. Thank you. Passed by Unanimous consent in the Senate! That's normally reserved for things like designating National Donut day.

IMO Artists have been getting ripped off in the Napster and forward age. This might rebalance the amount of time artists spend writing/recording new music and the requirements to tour to actually make $.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #38,332 of 150,408
Hope if I put up my Schiit Score, my spouse does not read this forum...
Magni2Uber, Modi2Uber, Mimby, Magni3, Vali2, Sys, Eitr, Lyr2, Jotunheim4490, Bimby, Saga, Vidar, Gumby, Freya, 2 more Vidar....

I have to save up for those Forte IIIs now to complement the 1.7is.
We found the main Schiit stock holder :) aaaahhh true, just own money: Mike and Jason want to stay in control

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #38,333 of 150,408
I have heard great things about the Red Dragons, it seems class D has gotten much better recently.

Then there's this, 2100 wpc into 4 ohms.
Buy 2 you'd have 6000 per side!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTi6002--crown-xti-6002-power-amplifier

Probably not necessary though, and they have a fan so...

Edit: I had no idea the Red Dragon was only 699 now, I see why you want to try them.
yes all RD amplifiers are on sale M500 = 499, S500 = 999
Is that good or bad news?

(oh and power cables 239, WOW that is 48% of an M500...the world is crazy)

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #38,335 of 150,408
Ahhhh...fond memories had a TD-125 with Grace arm

DSCN1565-600x450.jpg

Never could talk myself into a Linn

TBH...always hated albums/turntables/discwasher/zerostat/etc...pita!

Typically transferred music to tape so I could listen with less hassle. Couldn't switch to CD's fast enough when they came out!
WOW, I had one of those with SME arm and the famous Shure element (I believe V15) .....#£"!"$%#%^ d*mn it..I gave it away .... I start crying again thinking about it...people have stupid moments in their life:cry: isn't it

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #38,336 of 150,408
If they ever do "pull the trigger" on that TT, I'd be interested in collaborating with them to develop a premium tube-type Schiit phono preamp.

IIRC, Mike basically said that the preamp they made really was the best they could do, and throwing money at it wouldn't make it better. I know he commented on a tube preamp as well, but I can't remember the specifics on the matter other than he had concluded that he wouldn't do it.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #38,337 of 150,408
I believe Red Dragon uses Pascal modules
From the Red Dragon M1000 MkII and M500 MkII product page(s) (the type referred to)
"After the signal has been massaged by the Input Buffer Stage it is fed directly into the ICEpower Class-D amplification module. "
the S500 on the other hand does indeed use Pascal Power modules...
"After the signal has been massaged by the Input Buffer Stage it is fed directly into the Pascal Power Amplification Module."

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #38,338 of 150,408
The problem is loss of precision when using DSP. Let's say you drop a certain band in your 16 bit material by a factor of 8 (or about 10 dB). That factor of 8 is three bits, effectively stripping the 3 least significant bits from data in that music. A factor of 16 (over 20 dB) is four bits, effectively reducing samples in that range to 12 bits in range.

With anything involving DSP, unless you have extreme precision you can throw away, not using its full range can reduce its usefulness.

(Greatly oversimplified, but close enough.)

Digital is more appropriate to Mike's thread, but I'll attempt to field this with my limited knowledge.

I believe the Schiit DAC's all up-sample to 24/192 (or 24/176), or at least the multi-bits do, and then use some variant of Moffat's super combo burrito for the interpolation. [I think the yggy might go to 24/384]

At 24 bits, the loss of precision is nowhere near as significant. The errors are down below most/all practical noise floors.

Now getting Mike to put an EQ into one of his circuits, or coming up with a practical way to adjust it, probably ain't gonna happen.

[I tried to parlay this like a Pirate, but 'twas a barnacle encrusted wreck askin' for a scuttlin']

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #38,339 of 150,408
I keep waiting to see if the long-rumored Schiit turntable emerges at some point.

To be honest, I was surprised when Jason mentioned working on a turntable design. I have to wonder if the TT project has perhaps been indefinitely sidelined due to other Schiit product development priorities?

Just thinking/scheming out loud --you heard it here first :wink:

Well, the Sol prototype is available and usable in the Schiitr. I know, I trued it! And the vinyl collection there is amazing. It did however, persuade em that my days of vinyl are gobne for ever. Well, perhaps once I get the Shep Wooley albums I own digitized.......

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #38,340 of 150,408
Yeah, I've run into the overcurrent issue on the Vidar that I use on my 4 ohm center channel. Temperature wise it's well under what I've seen when pushing my towers (which I can get up to ~105dB at a listening position of 13 feet (little over 3ish meters) away.

I t hink you need to reboot your metric converter app......

Ooooo, sneaky, I see it's changed. You may just land on Mars after all........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back