Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #38,341 of 150,465
I prefer ALAC over FLAC because since it’s slightly newer, it handles metadata a bit better. And I’ve dropped deca-hours on tagging my music, metadata handling is important to me.
I found the opposite to be true. I have a lot of custom tags that ALAC didn't support but FLAC was fine with.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #38,342 of 150,465
I keep waiting to see if the long-rumored Schiit turntable emerges at some point.

To be honest, I was surprised when Jason mentioned working on a turntable design. I have to wonder if the TT project has perhaps been indefinitely sidelined due to other Schiit product development priorities?

If they ever do "pull the trigger" on that TT, I'd be interested in collaborating with them to develop a premium tube-type Schiit phono preamp.

Just thinking/scheming out loud --you heard it here first :wink:

I am hoping there is a phono input on a Freya one day but if that does not happen, I do like your idea. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #38,344 of 150,465
At 24 bits, the loss of precision is nowhere near as significant. The errors are down below most/all practical noise floors.
Now getting Mike to put an EQ into one of his circuits, or coming up with a practical way to adjust it, probably ain't gonna happen.
If you are talking about adding EQ DSP to Moffat's super combo burrito processing you'll find it runs on a Sharc ADSP at 32 bits so even more headroom :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...obable-start-up.701900/page-571#post-12062654
...Now getting Mike to put an EQ into one of his circuits ...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #38,345 of 150,465
I picked FLAC when I started to re-rip everything I can get my hands on. I'll be sticking to it.

Yes I am a habitual line-stepper, I believed I posted the very next part of the skit (w/ Dave as Rick James) weeks back. RIP Charlie Murphy. Loved that segment.

I remember your post, so I line stepped and stole your idea, at least I choose another gif :p

yes all RD amplifiers are on sale M500 = 499, S500 = 999
Is that good or bad news?(oh and power cables 239, WOW that is 48% of an M500...the world is crazy)

I guess if I broke down all the copper cable I have bought in the last year, much of it shielded 12 and some 10 gauge I'm crazy.
Small potatoes to some "audiophile" power cables though. Now I have enough to last a lifetime, + I am wiring my living room with twin 30 amp outlets.The future basement studio is getting a 20 amp and has an old 40 amp from before I lived here. So I should be good. :wink:

Yeah, I can't even blame that one on my dyslexia, maybe I'm just getting senile...

I'm always senile till about noon.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #38,346 of 150,465
For those of you pushing Vidar into the +100 db range. Have you noticed (subjectively) any distortion or other graininess at higher volume levels? How does the Vidar work at low volume levels? When I upgrade my 2 ch a fair bit of my listening will be done at night, in low light, at low to very low listening levels. Wondering if you can still hear all of the details at low volume.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #38,347 of 150,465
For those of you pushing Vidar into the +100 db range. Have you noticed (subjectively) any distortion or other graininess at higher volume levels? How does the Vidar work at low volume levels? When I upgrade my 2 ch a fair bit of my listening will be done at night, in low light, at low to very low listening levels. Wondering if you can still hear all of the details at low volume.

How your speakers sound at low volumes will be largely determined by the speakers, not the amp.

Vidar is an exceptionally clean and low distortion amp at the volumes I listen to, but this is only around 85-90db average generally, at the highest.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #38,348 of 150,465
As I re-rip & actually READ the liner notes (with an illuminated magnifying lens [schiit, aging eyes]), I run across the same sound studios repeatedly. And the same Engineering names. Sterling Sound, NY... Image Recording Studios, CA... Mushroom Studios, BC... True North Records, ON ... and of course, Abbey Road Studios (UK). Neat.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #38,349 of 150,465
For those of you pushing Vidar into the +100 db range...
Depends very much on speaker efficiency, distance from speakers and room size, e.g. I can easily push my inefficient LS50 to 100dB+ with a 50 Watt amp, no strain, because they are close and the room is small - not that I'd want to,
I'm far more sensitive than my speakers.:worried:

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #38,351 of 150,465
How your speakers sound at low volumes will be largely determined by the speakers, not the amp.
Vidar is an exceptionally clean and low distortion amp at the volumes I listen to, but this is only around 85-90db average generally, at the highest.

In my experience the LS50s need juice to wake up, and are kinda flat at low volume, The Focal monitors are superb at low volume, and best in the range you mention, I suppose pros don't want to mix at high spl. But at 115db @ 1 meter they get plenty loud.
I do love my LS50s w/subs in the bigger room now that Yggy is here.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #38,352 of 150,465
In my experience the LS50s need juice to wake up, and are kinda flat at low volume, The Focal monitors are superb at low volume, and best in the range you mention, I suppose pros don't want to mix at high spl. But at 115db @ 1 meter they get plenty loud.
I do love my LS50s w/subs in the bigger room now that Yggy is here.

What subs are you using with your LS50?

I also own a pair of LS50 and I've been contemplating the idea of getting a sub, but when I was researching for it, I read in some forums that a sub kinda "destroy" the purpose of the LS50, i.e. they state the overall sound that comes from that combo is not that nice cause. Others disagree with that, but I'm still undecided.

Can you, please, comment a bit about the sound you're getting now compared with the no-subwoofer option? what kind of music do you listen, at what relative volume (high, medium or low) and how big your room is?

Thanks in advance :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #38,353 of 150,465
Well, the Sol prototype is available and usable in the Schiitr. I know, I trued it! And the vinyl collection there is amazing. It did however, persuade em that my days of vinyl are gobne for ever. Well, perhaps once I get the Shep Wooley albums I own digitized.......
For some strange reason my son wants a turntable.
Any idea of estimated cost of Sol?

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #38,354 of 150,465
Bottlehead has two Tube Phono Preamp kits. Those are way down on my priority list but they are one the list. Has anyone built or heard them? I'd like to use a Schiit TT for an all "analog"/tube/discrete (not sure that is the right word what I mean is no transistors in the audio circuit) audio chain.

I used the Seduction Phono Pre for years, till I gifted it to my daughter (with a turntable). It's still in use, going on a good 10 years now. They've modernized the circuit with the Reduction. Improved on it with the Eros (new tubes and more gain). I've heard the Eros and it's a step up from the Budgie I use now but it's twice the size and I don't play as many records as I used to so it's not worth the costs to me.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #38,355 of 150,465
Digital is more appropriate to Mike's thread, but I'll attempt to field this with my limited knowledge.

I believe the Schiit DAC's all up-sample to 24/192 (or 24/176), or at least the multi-bits do, and then use some variant of Moffat's super combo burrito for the interpolation. [I think the yggy might go to 24/384]

At 24 bits, the loss of precision is nowhere near as significant. The errors are down below most/all practical noise floors.

Now getting Mike to put an EQ into one of his circuits, or coming up with a practical way to adjust it, probably ain't gonna happen.

[I tried to parlay this like a Pirate, but 'twas a barnacle encrusted wreck askin' for a scuttlin']

Well the question was asked on this thread, so...

IF the 16 bits gets upsampled to 24 on the PC
AND is kept at 24 when handed to, say, Gumby,
THEN it would be somewhat more reasonable.

HOWEVER, as a discrete piece, you'd have to insert it like The Gadget (supporting all the disparate digital interfaces and rates) and have it output like The Gadget as well.

Other than the prototype Gadget, we haven't seen one of those. I can't help but imagine Mike's face at being asked to design something with USB/TOSLINK/S-PDIF inputs and output as flexibly as possible. About 90% of it would be interface conversion electronics and logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back