Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #38,357 of 150,446
I do have one Pearl Jam on vinyl (Yield), but mostly lately I’ve been wanting to rock out to Tool, Pink Floyd and Rollins Band. Pink Floyd hasn’t made the Vidars shut down, but the other two have.
I considered the RP280f, RF7-III, and the Forte III. Although it doesn’t necessarily mean anything to the sound, I’m favoring the Forte because they’re domestically produced more than the others.
I went with the 1.7i first because I actually heard them at a dealer in MN where I live and where they’re made. I haven’t been able to actually hear any Klipsch besides the RP28f, but that was in a Best Buy and it was noisy and not impressive.
The Forte, RF7, and Tekton Double Impact are on the short list for high sensitivity speakers I would drive with a Vidar.
For the Maggies, I’m going to check out a couple of Red Dragon 1100 W monoblocks this week.

Thank you for the reply, you actually touched on almost all of the speakers I'm interested in. I was looking at the 1.7i for my Cronus ... they're very affordable, and I think I'd have just enough power to drive them. Environmental factors have been holding me back, so maybe a pair of LS50s for the big amp.

The Tektons are also on my short list, also very reasonably priced, and in with the right paint job the wife thinks they're beautiful. If you do end up pairing a high efficiency speaker with the Vidar, I'd be curious to your results. After I'm done playing with tubes, I'd like to pickup a Vidar as an amp I don't feel guilty turning off and on multiple times a day, or running idle for extended periods of time.

I wish my local shops had ANY of these on display =/ ... it's all read and hope on this end. My local shop has the Leben, so at least I can try it out first ... but the Tektons, Fortes, RF7, and 1.7i are like ghosts around here.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #38,359 of 150,446
I used the Seduction Phono Pre for years, till I gifted it to my daughter (with a turntable). It's still in use, going on a good 10 years now. They've modernized the circuit with the Reduction. Improved on it with the Eros (new tubes and more gain). I've heard the Eros and it's a step up from the Budgie I use now but it's twice the size and I don't play as many records as I used to so it's not worth the costs to me.

I like Bottlehead products and totally understand why everything plugs into the top plate but that is the first thing I wanted to change when I got a couple of their kits and it is a lot of work.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #38,361 of 150,446
Ahhhh...fond memories had a TD-125 with Grace arm

DSCN1565-600x450.jpg

Never could talk myself into a Linn

TBH...always hated albums/turntables/discwasher/zerostat/etc...pita!

Typically transferred music to tape so I could listen with less hassle. Couldn't switch to CD's fast enough when they came out!

Hahahaha talk about memories ... I received a box of a few hundred records and their old turntable a while back. It all looked brand new ... I was astounded!

"Why are they in such perfect condition?" I asked ...

Apparently my dad played each record once ... for the sole purpose of transferring to tape.

After playing around with vinyl the last 2 years ... yup ... it's a PITA ... now I get it ... although at the time I though that was kinda crazy!

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #38,362 of 150,446
What subs are you using with your LS50?

I also own a pair of LS50 and I've been contemplating the idea of getting a sub, but when I was researching for it, I read in some forums that a sub kinda "destroy" the purpose of the LS50, i.e. they state the overall sound that comes from that combo is not that nice cause. Others disagree with that, but I'm still undecided.

Can you, please, comment a bit about the sound you're getting now compared with the no-subwoofer option? what kind of music do you listen, at what relative volume (high, medium or low) and how big your room is?

Thanks in advance :)

You'll need a fast sub. For better result two. I'll have a M&K, I use it for home cinema but is fast enough for music too. The REL I have is not as fast but still sounds very nice in the kitchen with the adams now. With the ATCs in my small room I prefer without sub. Matter of trying it out. Volume of the sub is difficult, better too low than to high.

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #38,363 of 150,446
You'll need a fast sub. For better result two. I'll have a M&K, I use it for home cinema but is fast enough for music too. The REL I have is not as fast but still sounds very nice in the kitchen with the adams now. With the ATCs in my small room I prefer without sub. Matter of trying it out. Volume of the sub is difficult, better too low than to high.

Thanks for the info.

What is a fast sub, I mean... what spec (and value) defines that?

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #38,365 of 150,446
Thanks for the info.

What is a fast sub, I mean... what spec (and value) defines that?
I have built some subs and I always felt that 12" react quicker for music, all other things being equal. I have purchased 15" and I normally use them for home theater applications. The enclosure is also a factor. Larger speakers work nicely for special effects in movies. Somewhere I have one with dual ten inch speakers and it is great for music but I need to repair it at some point. I do not recall any spec I can point to that qualifies a sub as being fast though.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #38,366 of 150,446
[I tried to parlay this like a Pirate, but 'twas a barnacle encrusted wreck askin' for a scuttlin']

Aye, lad. Ye be th' first to mention International Talk Like A Pirate Day this morn, methinks. Arr. :skull_crossbones:

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #38,368 of 150,446
I have built some subs and I always felt that 12" react quicker for music, all other things being equal. I have purchased 15" and I normally use them for home theater applications. The enclosure is also a factor. Larger speakers work nicely for special effects in movies. Somewhere I have one with dual ten inch speakers and it is great for music but I need to repair it at some point. I do not recall any spec I can point to that qualifies a sub as being fast though.

Me neither, that's why I'm asking. The closest thing would be the Damping Factor, but AFAIK, that parameter is related to the amplifier, not the speaker.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #38,370 of 150,446
What subs are you using with your LS50?

I also own a pair of LS50 and I've been contemplating the idea of getting a sub, but when I was researching for it, I read in some forums that a sub kinda "destroy" the purpose of the LS50, i.e. they state the overall sound that comes from that combo is not that nice cause. Others disagree with that, but I'm still undecided.

Can you, please, comment a bit about the sound you're getting now compared with the no-subwoofer option? what kind of music do you listen, at what relative volume (high, medium or low) and how big your room is?

Thanks in advance :)
I'm using an ADAM Sub8 with my LS50 in a near field set up. I really like the added punch the sub gives the music. I listen to lots of blues, rock, female vocal, folk and some jazz. Not a classical listener. I'm also using a silver Yggy with a black Raggy, no effect on the sound IMO :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back