Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #38,386 of 150,455
That would be the 688, Los Angeles class or its updated version, the 774 Virginia Class. At least in the USA.

WPJraC7.gif

I'll remember this info for the day I visit the states.

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #38,387 of 150,455
Vidar seems fine to me at modest levels. I have discovered that the light - low or otherwise - makes no detectable difference :)

I was waiting for someone to comment on that....
Couple things, I find my hearing gets more sensitive, or I'm more alert at night.

When I'm driving in a big city or area I'm unfamiliar with, I turn my radio way down, so that I can "see" and thus drive better.

Or, how many people close their eyes when listening to music, to hear (concentrate) better.

Also I think the expression "it's so loud I can't think" plays well here. Our senses are interesting faculties.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #38,388 of 150,455
I was waiting for someone to comment on that....
Couple things, I find my hearing gets more sensitive, or I'm more alert at night.

When I'm driving in a big city or area I'm unfamiliar with, I turn my radio way down, so that I can "see" and thus drive better.

Or, how many people close their eyes when listening to music, to hear (concentrate) better.

Also I think the expression "it's so loud I can't think" plays well here. Our senses are interesting faculties.

Oh, I'm with you - it was just too good to pass up! This is an interesting topic - Jody cannot concentrate at all if the is any speech on the radio, even in the backgrourd or in MY office, though music is OK. So now we are both home and she has a book deadline to meet, I can't have my favorite classicfm or NPR on speakers.

Cheers

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #38,389 of 150,455
Oh, I'm with you - it was just too good to pass up! This is an interesting topic - Jody cannot concentrate at all if the is any speech on the radio, even in the backgrourd or in MY office, though music is OK. So now we are both home and she has a book deadline to meet, I can't have my favorite classicfm or NPR on speakers.

Cheers
Poor you, hang in there!

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #38,390 of 150,455

Cheers

Quality headphones can help of course. Come to think of it my remote controls for Firesticks even have headphone outs so you can privately listen if you want. I have never used them but I recall that being an option. Sometimes I run both but more often than not I am listening to headphones anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #38,391 of 150,455
That would be the 688, Los Angeles class or its updated version, the 774 Virginia Class. At least in the USA.
A couple of my shipmates went to the 688 to ride her for sea trials. I was qualified on 637-class boats, and also on Seawolf. SSN-575 Seawolf, that is. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #38,394 of 150,455
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #38,395 of 150,455
A couple of my shipmates went to the 688 to ride her for sea trials. I was qualified on 637-class boats, and also on Seawolf. SSN-575 Seawolf, that is. :)

Wow, what a bad-ass submarine. Liquid sodium cooled nuclear reactor. Jeez!

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #38,396 of 150,455
I also own a pair of LS50 and I've been contemplating the idea of getting a sub, but when I was researching for it, I read in some forums that a sub kinda "destroy" the purpose of the LS50, i.e. they state the overall sound that comes from that combo is not that nice cause.

I have some Vienna Acoustics Hadyns that I mated with a sub. It's not easy without measuring equipment and software (REW) but the result was extremely satisfying. That is, once I figured out how to do it correctly. I think that took a few hundred tries.

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #38,397 of 150,455
Wow, what a bad-ass submarine. Liquid sodium cooled nuclear reactor. Jeez!
We used to call her "Building 575" because she was always broken. The boat I spent the most time on was SSN-683 USS Parche. If you want to read about a bad-ass boat... :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #38,398 of 150,455
Thanks for the info.

What is a fast sub, I mean... what spec (and value) defines that?
I think, maybe group delay. That and the drivers ability to start & stop.

Or you can just buy JL Audio. They are one of the acknowledged experts. Mine are TBI Magellans.

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #38,399 of 150,455
I was asking cause I assumed you were talking about a measurable parameter, but it seems "fast" is just your own subjective subwoofer rating.
There's all kinds of data on data-bass.com.

I am addicted to adding more and more subs to my system. I got to four (all different types managed with a Xilica) before sanity kicked in. I still want a passive SVS cylinder sub (must resist...).

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #38,400 of 150,455
I think, maybe group delay. That and the drivers ability to start & stop.
You are correct. The terms "fast" and "slow" when applied to subwoofers generally describe the results of room delay. Sometimes transient response, but mostly in-room effects like group delay.

Lower inductance voice coils will generally have better transient response, by the way, and TR has next to nothing to do with the size or material of the subwoofer cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back