Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #38,401 of 150,447
We used to call her "Building 575" because she was always broken. The boat I spent the most time on was SSN-683 USS Parche. If you want to read about a bad-ass boat... :)

So the liquid sodium cooling system was a bit maintenance-heavy :)
Thx for the tip on SSN-683 USS Parche. As stated by the internet ... "the most highly decorated vessel in U.S. history."
And our own Ableza was part of it. Well done, matey!

Salute, oops I meant Prost!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #38,403 of 150,447
We used to call her "Building 575" because she was always broken. The boat I spent the most time on was SSN-683 USS Parche. If you want to read about a bad-ass boat... :)

I read "Blind Man's Bluff" The Parche was mentioned a few times....

I helped in the construction of the USN 774 Virginia. Really cool they named her after the CSS Virgninia.

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #38,404 of 150,447
I read "Blind Man's Bluff" The Parche was mentioned a few times....
I knew a lot of the people named in that book... but I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of anything in it. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #38,405 of 150,447
IIRC, Mike basically said that the preamp they made really was the best they could do, and throwing money at it wouldn't make it better. I know he commented on a tube preamp as well, but I can't remember the specifics on the matter other than he had concluded that he wouldn't do it.

Ha! I suspect Mike Moffat may have been speaking a little bit "off-the-cuff" and focused elsewhere at the moment he made such comments about phono preamps. One can nearly *always* design meaningful circuit improvements. The idea of "Throwing money at it" is sort of beside the point.

Taking a look at Schiit's current stand-alone phono preamp options, I believe the Mani is the sole unit presently offered --right? The Mani is obviously a very competent little unit, and an incredible buy at just $129.

What I'm suggesting is, that if Schiit indeed rolls-out a fairly high-specification/ higher-price turntable, then there is going to be, IMO, an empty spot open in their product lineup awaiting a phono preamp of higher commensurate specifications. I'm thinking of a price-point correlate to their awesome Yggdrasil DAC.

I do realize Jason and Mike likely don't literally *need* me to assist with the designing of a premium tube phono preamp, rather only saying that I'd *like* to be in on such an effort. It could be good fun!

Again, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #38,407 of 150,447
Ha! I suspect Mike Moffat may have been speaking a little bit "off-the-cuff" and focused elsewhere at the moment he made such comments about phono preamps. One can nearly *always* design meaningful circuit improvements. The idea of "Throwing money at it" is sort of beside the point.

Taking a look at Schiit's current stand-alone phono preamp options, I believe the Mani is the sole unit presently offered --right? The Mani is obviously a very competent little unit, and an incredible buy at just $129.

What I'm suggesting is, that if Schiit indeed rolls-out a fairly high-specification/ higher-price turntable, then there is going to be, IMO, an empty spot open in their product lineup awaiting a phono preamp of higher commensurate specifications. I'm thinking of a price-point correlate to their awesome Yggdrasil DAC.

I do realize Jason and Mike likely don't literally 'need' me to assist with designing a premium tube phono preamp, rather only saying that I'd 'like' to be in on such an effort. It could be good fun!

The SOL will cost around $700.00 no cartridge.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #38,408 of 150,447
I knew a lot of the people named in that book... but I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of anything in it. :)

LOL. Or that any of the events actually took place. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #38,409 of 150,447

I do realize Jason and Mike likely don't literally 'need' me to assist with designing a premium tube phono preamp, rather only saying that I'd 'like' to be in on such an effort. It could be good fun!

Have you heard a Mani? It sounds like there's an extra 0 behind its price tag (before the decimal point).
I'm not sure I'd put the Sol in the high-price turntable class ... the pricing ruminations on the Sol seem ... low ... as in lower than a Pro-Ject SB with an Ortofon Bronze.

With that said, I do agree in theory that there will be a void ... but mostly due to the lack of an aluminum case and no tubes to roll (and maybe lacking flexibility with some MCs).

I'd love to have a Schiit phono with an aluminum case and tubes ... but just for fun ... I wouldn't actually expect it to outperform the current Mani except maybe with some MCs)

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #38,410 of 150,447

I do realize Jason and Mike likely don't literally *need* me to assist with the designing of a premium tube phono preamp, rather only saying that I'd *like* to be in on such an effort. It could be good fun!

I see what you're saying, but I'd be surprised if they come out with an Yggdrasil-equivalent phono stage. More likely is a Bifrost-equivalent in that type of casing.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #38,412 of 150,447
The idea of "Throwing money at it" is sort of beside the point.

Not to Jason and Mike. The closest they come to "throwing money at it" is Yggy/Ragnarok as their "statement" products. Everything else is created to think about reality-based pricing.

That said, I'm standing by my faulty memory. You can always ask Mike directly on his thread. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #38,413 of 150,447
I found the opposite to be true. I have a lot of custom tags that ALAC didn't support but FLAC was fine with.
Which is why there are multiple formats that duz diffrent stuffz.

The nice thing is, though ALAC is what I normally rip to, because of my previous dalliance with iTunes, LMS and me Squeezebox (that's piratical talk there) are pretty omnivorous wrt formats. They'll eat anything... Bring it on, matey, and if it works for you, enjoy!

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #38,414 of 150,447
LOL. Or that any of the events actually took place. :)
Anything having to do with drinking, especially at the Horse and Cow, definitely took place. I just can't remember it.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #38,415 of 150,447
When I'm driving in a big city or area I'm unfamiliar with, I turn my radio way down, so that I can "see" and thus drive better
I'm sure my experience is not unique. When I have to do complicated problem solving I need quiet. When I have to concentrate on a perhaps exacting but well understood task I prefer energetic but un-demanding music (Outback is a favorite). I find there is an immediate qualitative change in sound when you close your eyes. Speech is the most distracting. As a side effect, talk radio / audio books can keep me awake while driving far more than even aggressive or abrasive or complicated music (ok, I mostly bike these days but there was a time with long drives late at night).

In coaster terms, designing the circuit (board) requires quiet, populating the board requires energetic music, and enjoying a beer on a coaster... Eyes closed, anything goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back