Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #37,351 of 151,308
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/open-baffle-vs-closed-box/
Here is Paul McGowan talking open baffle vs closed....
I was really excited when I found the Paul McGowan video site, I thought it great that someone in the biz would share his knowledge and insight like Jason does here (and Baldr does on his thread)
I watched a few of his 7 minute long 2 minute videos and felt I knew less when I finished than when I started, some of the things he says are just wrong others are nearly meaningless.
In the linked video one statement was
" ... ever hear the term a boxy sounding speaker, well that's because the box the woofer is in has a sound to it ..."

Sorry about the rant I was just so disappointed.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #37,352 of 151,308
Some of his videos are better than others. His boy writing a children’s book was certainly superfluous.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #37,353 of 151,308
did you build the drivers also yourself?
Of course not, that's a ridiculous question. Nor did I manufacture the Xover components. I did however spec the woofer and subwoofer and they were built to those specs. The 12" is an Adire Shiva-X, the X meaning it is custom made with my spec'd Qts of .7, and the 7" is a custom one of a kind driver with neo-motor assembly. The mid and tweet are off the shelf.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #37,354 of 151,308
@Ableza

Question regarding your speaker design, is that a 4 way crossover? I see you have two tweeters, one looks to be a dynamic, one a ribbon design? Assuming a three way crossover, are those tweeters in series or parallel? Why did you go with two tweeter types? Do you have any active controls (pots) on the tweeters to control their sound level? I have been playing around with DIY speaker ideas in my head for schits and giggles and have been thinking about two tweeters like you did, maybe even three with one being rear firing. I also noticed the sub was enclosed. Is it ported or suspension?
The design is 4-way. The subwoofer is actually in an open baffle U-frame alignment and is driven by a separate amp based on a Hypex UCD400 module. The sub to woofer is actively crossed at 120Hz. The other three drivers form a standard woof-mid-tweet arrangement and are passive crossed at 700 Hz to the CSS WR-125 mid and 7000Hz to the RAAL ribbon. So not two tweeters. The Xover is 4th order electrical and non-symmetrical.

I don't recommend using two tweeters in the same pass band, but using one with higher extension as a "super tweeter" can be interesting, and using a rear-facing ambience tweeter is fun, you just have to be clever with the pad level for it or else they can introduce unwanted delay in the system. I have a crossover design for a system using a rear-facing ambience tweeter in my files if you'd like it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #37,355 of 151,308
Anyone heard the Infinity One Bluetooth speakers or Marshall Kilburns? I am looking for something portable for outside use with Raspberry Pi etc. Just looking for something for outdoor sound in the $500 range or less so I do not have to schlep my Martin Logans outside.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #37,358 of 151,308
"Great sounding" and "Bluetooth" is bordering on oxymoron. :)
Okay, imagine a BT speaker with high quality compression, 256 AAC or better, aptX-HD, or LDAC with Yggy-level DAC and 4 high-quality drivers for a full range.

It isn't really an oxymoron, is it? You see there are different kinds of elitism. Sometimes it means something--i.e. practical improvements in outcomes for people--but at other times it's merely an aesthetic, an affected superiority serving individual psychological needs. In which category does your claim belong?

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #37,359 of 151,308
On the subject of DIY. I also am working to train my 9yo son with a Elenco Snap Circuits kit. I might also be learning a few things myself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have an old "100-in-1" electronics kit (with the old spring terminal connects) for the grand-critter.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #37,360 of 151,308
Okay, imagine a BT speaker with high quality compression, 256 AAC or better, aptX-HD, or LDAC with Yggy-level DAC and 4 high-quality drivers for a full range.

It isn't really an oxymoron, is it? You see there are different kinds of elitism. Sometimes it means something--i.e. practical improvements in outcomes for people--but at other times it's merely an aesthetic, an affected superiority serving individual psychological needs. In which category does your claim belong?
I was simply referring to the use of BT to transmit audio as being non-optimum, and to quote Mike Moffat, "sounds like ass."

Save your armchair psychology for gazing into your own mirror, please. :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #37,361 of 151,308
I have an old "100-in-1" electronics kit (with the old spring terminal connects) for the grand-critter.
Yeah I remember my younger brother had one of those old spring style kits. They still make them. The snaps are just easier for my son who is high functioning Autistic (very verbal) who is somewhat OCD and afraid to do anything he might not do perfectly.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #37,363 of 151,308
I have had similar, although not so bad, issues with Virgin Media in the UK. We had an intermittent issue where our phone line would just stop working and it took them about 3 weeks to send an engineer around to fix it because they kept insisting it looked fine on their end. Turned out the connection in the road had corroded and all they needed was to change the plug. I only live 15 miles outside London as well so remoteness wasn't an excuse.

Generally I feel ISPs pretty much have a licence to print money and can really do anything they fancy with no consequences in the name of profit. They have put prices up 3 times this year already with no service improvement for example...

Very OT but rant over :beerchug:

On topic... and THIS. THIS! is another reason to buy physical media and rip FLAC files, or buy the FLAC files when no media is available.

There are other ISPs covering the area but last time I checked they didn't have UPSes at their tower sites. But these guys have really blown it this time.

Still without. Back at the McDonalds again, but inside at a table.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #37,365 of 151,308
LMAO, just trying to start a discussion. Anyway I use a small speaker for some audio books while outside. I did find one with audio in so I can run it off of a Raspberry PI and not bluetooth. Everything is relative and I wanted something a bit better than I currently have. For some outside functions it is nice to have some background music and few are going to sit around and say omg this does not sound like my $8000 system! Generally one cannot hear much over conversation anyway.
I have other devices I could take outdoors but portability is a factor. I almost said MP3's earlier too but thought it a bit much.:jecklinsmile:

Happy Labor Day those of you in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back