Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #37,367 of 152,850
Don't tell me you have only cheap friends.

This will probably astound you Pietro but not everyone is into high end audio and I can recall someone scolding me for taking Martin Logan’s outdoors.

It really depends on the group, one friend once told me he heard no difference between MP3’s and lossless audio. Should I argue with him?
What does he know, he is just an astrophysicist, not even a regular physicist.

Were I to demo good sound, I would do that indoors. Does everyone appreciate great wine, or great art, or great literature? Often I host book groups and music is not a huge factor.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #37,368 of 152,850
Don't tell me you have only cheap friends.

pv9v9de.gif

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #37,369 of 152,850
^^^ Damn. I need one of those!! :wink:

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #37,370 of 152,850
This will probably astound you Pietro but not everyone is into high end audio and I can recall someone scolding me for taking Martin Logan’s outdoors.

It really depends on the group, one friend once told me he heard no difference between MP3’s and lossless audio. Should I argue with him?
What does he know, he is just an astrophysicist, not even a regular physicist.

Were I to demo good sound, I would do that indoors. Does everyone appreciate great wine, or great art, or great literature? Often I host book groups and music is not a huge factor.
Yes leave the ML's inside by all means.
And I was indeed a little sarcastic.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #37,372 of 152,850
I have a decent source for my purposes and it is portable. The speakers I have on the way are pretty rugged and waterproof so I can always bring them in the next day. They can use wires and I can control my server with smart phone or voice command. With guests the main concern will be food, drink, and keeping the fire going in my fire pit.

Pietro, you are pretty easy to understand even in what your third or fourth language? You obviously know Latin as well and probably studied Greek.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #37,373 of 152,850
On topic... and THIS. THIS! is another reason to buy physical media and rip FLAC files, or buy the FLAC files when no media is available.

There are other ISPs covering the area but last time I checked they didn't have UPSes at their tower sites. But these guys have really blown it this time.

Still without. Back at the McDonalds again, but inside at a table.

I have been considering doing this but it would cost so much money to get all the music I listened to on Spotify in hard copies. Like thousands, I know I should really start and do what some others do which is cancel my subscription and use the money to buy CDs (or equivalent quality) each month but the sheer convenience is hard to deny. I have playlists downloaded so if I do have internet down time I can still listen to some of my music as well.

(I know, I listen to lossy music, I am a terrible person)

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #37,374 of 152,850
Yeah I remember my younger brother had one of those old spring style kits. They still make them. The snaps are just easier for my son who is high functioning Autistic (very verbal) who is somewhat OCD and afraid to do anything he might not do perfectly.
But you’re continuing to work with him and support him. Keep on keepin’ on, I’m impressed.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #37,375 of 152,850
Yes, BT audio is very lossy and held to relatively loose standards.
Reminds me of my college junior (tha’d be a second to us, capt deadpool!), who asked as I was listening to my HE4xxs from Bifrost to Lyr 3, and she informed me how great bluetooth was (listening to her Beats via iPhone. So i asked what track was cued, selected it on my rig, asked her to try both...

She promptly asked what was wrong with her headphones and where to send them to be fixed... started a lengthy discussion, that did.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #37,376 of 152,850
That's pretty damn hilarious... I guess people don't know until they try. BT is very convenient though (pretty much the only plus point I can think of).

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #37,377 of 152,850
Reminds me of my college junior (tha’d be a second to us, capt deadpool!), who asked as I was listening to my HE4xxs from Bifrost to Lyr 3, and she informed me how great bluetooth was (listening to her Beats via iPhone. So i asked what track was cued, selected it on my rig, asked her to try both...

She promptly asked what was wrong with her headphones and where to send them to be fixed... started a lengthy discussion, that did.
Had to laugh at that, I had it the other way round.
I had a listen to a young co-workers Beats bluetoothed from his iPhone, apparently the faces I made were hilarious to those watching who had some idea of the difference between his stuff and mine.
A bit like Tyll's video (another co-worker had Ultrasones)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #37,379 of 152,850
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #37,380 of 152,850
I learned about The Specials from my public broadcaster, CBC Radio 1 Toronto (“Metro Morning”). I have no (remaster) reference point, per say. I purchased ‘A Message to You, Rudy’ from iTunes (as either an AAC or ALAC file). I loved it so much , I borrowed the CD from my public library. I then made an... errr... backup FLAC copy of the album using Foobar. THIS IS MY FIRST ALBUM.
I then let Foobar monkey around with the songs’s gain levels (via GainReplay tool?). Result: I can imagine myself relaxing at my local Jerk Chicken joint. Meh, pick up the CD. @audio philestine ... if you wear out vinyl (whoah), it should be okay. :ksc75smile:

It was the CD I wore out. Some old buddies from college got me into them decades ago.

I ended up buying the exact same release of CD from someone off EBay. I'm still a little bit shy of modern re-masters that lower the audiophile quality rather than improve it.

You could relax to their music at a Jerk Chicken joint, but I saw them live once, and as I recall even this non-dancer had to get up and shake his booty. They're an amusingly infectious live show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back