Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #37,381 of 152,712
It was the CD I wore out. Some old buddies from college got me into them decades ago.

I ended up buying the exact same release of CD from someone off EBay. I'm still a little bit shy of modern re-masters that lower the audiophile quality rather than improve it.

You could relax to their music at a Jerk Chicken joint, but I saw them live once, and as I recall even this non-dancer had to get up and shake his booty. They're an amusingly infectious live show.
Damn! Good to know.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #37,382 of 152,712
That's pretty damn hilarious... I guess people don't know until they try. BT is very convenient though (pretty much the only plus point I can think of).

Bluetooth is convenient and I can listen to an audio book most anywhere in my house through Echo devices and even my surround sound receiver. If I am at my fire pit my choices are to listen to books on my iphone or project the sound more so I do not have to have the phone next to me. I mentioned BT speakers just to watch the reaction but what I shopped for also accepts analog audio in.

For playing music outdoors I have used a device like this, mine is slightly older and does not have blue tooth. Why would I take this outdoors? New price is $1800, I got mine new for $40. Outdoors I need an inverter or generator and my back is not what it used to be so I am going for less weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MartinLoga...m=263885539049&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

What I never do with people is to belittle them if they are happy with BT, or MP3's or an 8 track player. If they enjoy it who am I to say they should not? Now I do get the same reaction from many of the grad students who check out my audio system compared to their phone with earbuds or whatever. My favorite is "How am I supposed to go home and listen to my phone now?" Some of my acquaintances are students and grad students and many just do not have the funds to invest in a music system, I tend to donate older gear to them if they want it. Some have plenty of money but high end audio is just not their thing. Can you imagine?

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #37,383 of 152,712
Bluetooth is convenient and I can listen to an audio book most anywhere in my house through Echo devices and even my surround sound receiver. If I am at my fire pit my choices are to listen to books on my iphone or project the sound more so I do not have to have the phone next to me. I mentioned BT speakers just to watch the reaction but what I shopped for also accepts analog audio in.

For playing music outdoors I have used a device like this, mine is slightly older and does not have blue tooth. Why would I take this outdoors? New price is $1800, I got mine new for $40. Outdoors I need an inverter or generator and my back is not what it used to be so I am going for less weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MartinLogan-Motion-Vision-X-Audiophile-Soundbar-Gloss-Black-WiFi-2018-Version/263885539049?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20131003132420&meid=5454848f28254e1e833a05ec188be371&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=272690852402&itm=263885539049&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

What I never do with people is to belittle them if they are happy with BT, or MP3's or an 8 track player. If they enjoy it who am I to say they should not? Now I do get the same reaction from many of the grad students who check out my audio system compared to their phone with earbuds or whatever. My favorite is "How am I supposed to go home and listen to my phone now?" Some of my acquaintances are students and grad students and many just do not have the funds to invest in a music system, I tend to donate older gear to them if they want it. Some have plenty of money but high end audio is just not their thing. Can you imagine?

Yeah I think that is pretty important as well, if people are happy with their listening experience then leave them to it. No point in patronising someone for it. If you show them something and they appreciate it and are interested in changing then that is another thing. Make sure you apologise in advance for their wallets though lol...

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #37,384 of 152,712
On the subject of DIY. I also am working to train my 9yo son with a Elenco Snap Circuits kit. I might also be learning a few things myself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember "cutting my teeth" in electronics with a kit like this when I was a kid:

150-in-one.jpg

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #37,385 of 152,712
Wow, that brings back memories. I remember "cutting my teeth" in electronics with a kit like this when I was a kid:

Good News/Bad News

Good News: Elenco still makes the spring kits. https://www.elenco.com/product/130-in-1-electronics-playground/

Bad News: My wallet, There are a lot of pretty cool stuff they have that I didn't know existed, but now I want....

This is not going to be good for my next Audioholics Anonymous meeting.... ..."Its been 0days since my last audio/electronics purchase" My AA sponsor is really going to have to be patient. Not to mention my wife aka Household 6.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #37,386 of 152,712
Update on managing my tinnitus:
My spouse sent me a link to a cat purr generator... goddamn, it’s like strapping an idling diesel engine to each ear! I piped it through my schiit stack, put my cans on, and calmed the puck down. I can see using this after a teaching session. Or hell, get all my critters plugged in as a possible cap to a lesson!
On a lark, I visited its sister-site, http://mynoise.net . I stumbled across its tinnitus neuromodulator. It claims it MIGHT reduce my suffering.
I tried it. The results are, well, unnerving. How the hell did it do THAT?
Is it woo woo? Bullschiit? I don’t know. What I do know is what I’ve added Value to my audio set-up. :ksc75smile:

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #37,387 of 152,712
Good News/Bad News

Good News: Elenco still makes the spring kits. https://www.elenco.com/product/130-in-1-electronics-playground/

Bad News: My wallet, There are a lot of pretty cool stuff they have that I didn't know existed, but now I want....

This is not going to be good for my next Audioholics Anonymous meeting.... ..."Its been 0days since my last audio/electronics purchase" My AA sponsor is really going to have to be patient. Not to mention my wife aka Household 6.
Damn, it’s like a souped-up breadboard I use in my grade 9 electricity labs! Nice.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #37,388 of 152,712
Update on managing my tinnitus:
My spouse sent me a link to a cat purr generator... goddamn, it’s like strapping an idling diesel engine to each ear! I piped it through my schiit stack, put my cans on, and calmed the puck down. I can see using this after a teaching session. Or hell, get all my critters plugged in as a possible cap to a lesson!
On a lark, I visited its sister-site, http://mynoise.net . I stumbled across its tinnitus neuromodulator. It claims it MIGHT reduce my suffering.
Is it woo woo? Bullschiit? I don’t know. What I do know is what I’ve added Value to my audio set-up. :ksc75smile:

I'm going to try that now.

psss I see you are from Canada, got any good MS? Can I get the hook up? :p See Mikes forum.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #37,389 of 152,712

psss I see you are from Canada, got any good MS? Can I get the hook up? :p See Mikes forum.

Capt, did you get your Mainline already? You will have to let me know how it sounds when completed.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #37,390 of 152,712
...On a lark, I visited its sister-site, http://mynoise.net . I stumbled across its tinnitus neuromodulator. It claims it MIGHT reduce my suffering.
I like this testimonial to the tinnitus neuromodulator:

♥ This noise generator gave me nausea and vertigo and my tinnitus was unaffected. Am I using it wrong?

:ksc75smile:
But I will try it tomorrow.
Will have to sort out a suitable set of headphones for iPad/Android phone use.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #37,391 of 152,712

MS?
My dealer is out of Prince Edward County. Vaders Limited. I go for the crude-oil coloured grade. Canada posted revised grading laws, eh.

I wonder if I can claim my audio as a medical appliance?

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #37,392 of 152,712
Pietro, you are pretty easy to understand even in what your third or fourth language? You obviously know Latin as well and probably studied Greek.
English is my fourth language.
I'm fluent in seven not counting Latin and old Greek which are dead languages.
So nine in total.

Edit: It's not all that exceptional. Everyone in The Netherlands speaks three languages in average. Our government thinks (rightly) that two foreign languages are part of a goed education.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #37,394 of 152,712
If there were a lot of women here I would say that I am fluent in the language of love. Haha

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #37,395 of 152,712
English is my fourth language.
I'm fluent in seven not counting Latin and old Greek which are dead languages.
So nine in total.

Edit: It's not all that exceptional. Everyone in The Netherlands speaks three languages in average. Our government thinks (rightly) that two foreign languages are part of a goed education.

Very nice and while Latin and Greek are dead languages, Latin certainly helps with Romance languages as well as English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back