Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #33,601 of 153,432
This is off topic as are many other things in this thread but I found it interesting. A $23 bottle of scotch sold at Aldi's was voted one of the best in the world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/13/aldi-whisky/697272002/

They also have a blended $17 bottle of scotch that is purported to have won the gold as well, six won silver medals.

I also just heard from Eric Alexander at Tekton and low wattage amps match up well with the Lores.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #33,602 of 153,432
This is off topic as are many other things in this thread but I found it interesting. A $23 bottle of scotch sold at Aldi's was voted one of the best in the world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/13/aldi-whisky/697272002/

They also have a blended $17 bottle of scotch that is purported to have won the gold as well, six won silver medals.

I also just heard from Eric Alexander at Tekton and low wattage amps match up well with the Lores.

Ehh. They don't sell alcohol at the grocery stores here in Kansas...

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #33,603 of 153,432
All grocery stores or just Aldi's? I have a part time employee who shops there so I will find out next week about their scotch selection, There is one north of me. I found several posts about it online so it must be a bit prestigious to get that medal.

Come to think of it I believe I saw beer in a grocery store in Kansas some years ago but it was 3.2 beer. They could not sell standard beer.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #33,604 of 153,432
Come to think of it I believe I saw beer in a grocery store in Kansas some years ago but it was 3.2 beer. They could not sell standard beer.

All grocery stores, Aldi included. And yes, they can sell some 3.2% beers, but meh.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #33,605 of 153,432
I agree, meh lol. Indiana had some interesting laws but recently they allowed beer and wine to be sold on Sunday. Prior to that it had to be served in a restaurant.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #33,606 of 153,432

I can confirm this from my own experience. One of the best matchups I've had with my Lores has been with an ampandsound Mogwai single-ended amp that puts out about 3 to 4 watts into an 8 ohm load with KT88 tubes (one of the best amps I've heard with my headphone collection too). Yet with their high power handling capability, running a single Vidar into them is a pretty solid pairing, also. Lores pretty much take concern for the amount of power you have out of the picture. I normally switch between a 15 wpc KT88 based amp and a 100 wpc solid state amp with mine, depending on my mood or other gear under review.

The Double Impacts are pretty close in this regard, but I didn't have good results with amps under 10 watts. 20 wpc and up are dynamite, though the DI is far more revealing of the quality of the amp than the Lores. I'd love to see a Schitt 20 wpc Class A amp to try with them.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #33,607 of 153,432
I can confirm this from my own experience. One of the best matchups I've had with my Lores has been with an ampandsound Mogwai single-ended amp that puts out about 3 to 4 watts into an 8 ohm load with KT88 tubes (one of the best amps I've heard with my headphone collection too). Yet with their high power handling capability, running a single Vidar into them is a pretty solid pairing, also. Lores pretty much take concern for the amount of power you have out of the picture. I normally switch between a 15 wpc KT88 based amp and a 100 wpc solid state amp with mine, depending on my mood or other gear under review.

The Double Impacts are pretty close in this regard, but I didn't have good results with amps under 10 watts. 20 wpc and up are dynamite, though the DI is far more revealing of the quality of the amp than the Lores. I'd love to see a Schitt 20 wpc Class A amp to try with them.

Great info thanks. I will be able to go Class A tube preamp into class A solid state power amps.. I built this to win a bet and now I am sorry I gave it up. IMG_2280.JPG
It would have pushed the Lores as well. Luckily I made a schematic but it was seriously labor intensive.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #33,608 of 153,432
Great info thanks. I will be able to go Class A tube preamp into class A solid state power amps.. I built this to win a bet and now I am sorry I gave it up.
It would have pushed the Lores as well. Luckily I made a schematic but it was seriously labor intensive.

That's a beautiful looking amp! Is that a push-pull or a paralleled single ended design? What's the tube complement?

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #33,609 of 153,432
It appears the Freya was back ordered as well, is something similar going on with it?
Freya has been backordered for months now. I know because I've been wanting to buy one for months. When the status didn't update from "6-6" I decided to throw one in the cart while ordering my Yggdrasil B upgrades. We'll see what happens.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #33,610 of 153,432
That's a beautiful looking amp! Is that a push-pull or a paralleled single ended design? What's the tube complement?

parallel single ended with the challenge being to use 12au7's and 6080 equivalents. There are two other tubes involved that I will have to look up when I get home.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #33,611 of 153,432
I am tempted by three speakers right now. Both the Lore and Lore Reference, but lastly the Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. Basically very similar to the Lore, but with better finish options and a different super tweeter. I'm sure they sound different, but all the above get high praise.

Dirty Weekends are only sold a couple times per year (now is one of those times).

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #33,612 of 153,432
Great info thanks. I will be able to go Class A tube preamp into class A solid state power amps.. I built this to win a bet and now I am sorry I gave it up.

Anyway to put a headphone out on that?

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #33,613 of 153,432
uh huh, there are two. They may be going into production but I am not directly involved with that. I need to simplify my life a bit.

The reviews I see on the Dirty Weekend speakers are quite good as well, and i did not have much time to read about efficiency but I believe them to be.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #33,614 of 153,432

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back