Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #33,631 of 153,933
So I see the outlaws are on a pretty good sale right now. Anyone know if the Lores ever go on sale?

I had been looking at the MMGi speakers, but from what I read, I don't think they'd suit my needs. Seems they need to be a good ways away from the wall, have a pretty defined listening area, and may need a sub.

From the reviews i read, both the lores & the outlaws seem to not lack for bass, sound good standing anywhere in a room, and aren't required to be pulled a few feet from the wall. More money then the MMGi, but still made in USA and probably more kid/life/wife friendly.

Thanks to those who made me aware of them

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #33,632 of 153,933
I had been looking at the MMGi speakers, but from what I read, I don't think they'd suit my needs. Seems they need to be a good ways away from the wall, have a pretty defined listening area, and may need a sub.

Probably not for you. If you can't set them up right in an adequate room then don't bother. When done right the tightly defined listening position widens up a lot. I have rarely heard a subwoofer sound right with Maggies if you want seamless integration. Same reason why I don't care for Martin Logans that try to integrate a dynamic driver with an electrostatic panel.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #33,633 of 153,933
Headphones can be so much easier to discuss; that was a well thought out answer.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #33,634 of 153,933
You might as well file divorce papers right now.

And poke out your eyes to better enjoy the music. Such is the ugliness of Tektons.

LOL. I have a plan, I managed to get a full system installed out there by remodeling the room. Then when I reassembled it my Outlaw/LS-50s/Sunfire subs got a new home. So Step 1 is a success.:point_up_2: I just have to scale it up over time, patience is key here.

As far as the looks of the Tekton's, I like all those drivers, but whatever. Never have run a speaker with a grill in my life.

Hey all,

I know I've been scarce, so I thought I'd at least come by and give you a quick update.

Why so scarce? Because I've been busy. To quote Mike, there are a lot of irons in the fire. And that's certainly part of it. But a bigger part of it is in adding new production partners, rolling in new production procedures, and doing some first-ever production-related things.

Production sounds boring? Well, maybe it is, on some level. But without good production partners, procedures, and techniques, we can't deliver great products at affordable prices.

All the best,
Jason

Interesting, thanks for the update.

I agree, meh lol. Indiana had some interesting laws but recently they allowed beer and wine to be sold on Sunday. Prior to that it had to be served in a restaurant.

We just recently have Sunday sales in Minnesota too, been waiting for this stupid law to die most of my life.:beerchug:

I am tempted by three speakers right now. Both the Lore and Lore Reference, but lastly the Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. Basically very similar to the Lore, but with better finish options and a different super tweeter. I'm sure they sound different, but all the above get high praise.

Dirty Weekends are only sold a couple times per year (now is one of those times).

Zu speakers are also on my short list. The Zu speakers stand a better chance with her, than the DI's.

I have Furman Elite 15i 7-outlet conditioner/protectors for my expensive gear. But I've never had them lightning-tested (Northern California).

Nice!

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #33,635 of 153,933
LOL. I have a plan, I managed to get a full system installed out there by remodeling the room. Then when I reassembled it my Outlaw/LS-50s/Sunfire subs got a new home. So Step 1 is a success.:point_up_2: I just have to scale it up over time, patience is key here.

As far as the looks of the Tekton's, I like all those drivers, but whatever. Never have run a speaker with a grill in my life.

As soon as you hear the DI speakers, you won't care how they look. I think they look fine...they are just big. Considering the number and size of the drivers, they are not bigger than they need to be.....

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #33,636 of 153,933
That is an impressive list of equipment you have, especially the Model 2 preamp with the M-22 Class A.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #33,637 of 153,933
Later all, on my way to discuss literature. My book club can drink your book club under the table is our motto I believe.

I need to join your book club. :ksc75smile:

How are your audio club member's livers?

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #33,638 of 153,933
LOL I was kidding, we meet in a community room at a local market and they have a cafe across the store. We rarely have more than a beer or glass of wine after. The women to men ratio can be six to one but this is a college town and a majority of people are fairly educated so even after a beer or two the group is still pretty lucid. I am currently in five groups but I rarely get through more than four books in a week. Last night they could not find the key to the community room, I nearly had the lock picked when the store manager gave us a $25 gift certificate so we headed straight to the cafe.

Fortunately there are a lot of undergrads with great hearing so I often find test subjects for some of my audio experimentation.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #33,639 of 153,933
Up until now, we've been using a single PCB assembly house. However, as runs get bigger, we've brought on a second. These guys are up in Northern California, and actually approached us first (a principle in the company had purchased one of our products). They're better set up for very large runs and for more bleeding-edge parts. They even do 100% x-ray inspection (not just optical) after the board is finished. This is an especially big deal for the smaller, finer-pitch parts (or BGAs, which we may end up having to use sometime soon). This actually unloads our long-term supplier and lets them focus on what they do best, which are shorter runs with more human intervention. For our products that still use through-hole parts, or are complex, or that we don't make very many of, they are perfect. For the rest, the new guy is delivering in a big way. This should help us cut down on out of stock situations, and to ensure our high-volume products aren't ever in slow-shipping mode.
All the best,
Jason
Hi, Jason,
Regarding the board houses, and USB Gen 5 boards: will Gen 5 be shipping soon? Your customer service people are responsive and friendly, but they have not been able to give a date. I’ve been waiting a good while for the Bifrost version. Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #33,640 of 153,933
That is an impressive list of equipment you have, especially the Model 2 preamp with the M-22 Class A.

Thanks! I am very happy with how my 2 channel system sounds now. I have zero desire to futz with the DAC, preamp, or speakers.

My Don Sachs Kootenay 120 amp is either about to be made or being made as we speak! Everything I am hearing from other owners of the amp suggest it is stellar. It is a ~70 WPC amp so it should drive the DI speakers a little better than the Pioneer M-22.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #33,641 of 153,933
Oh heck yes, that M-22 will just be in your way once you get the other amp. I would be happy to get it out of your way and even give you my UPS account number to have it shipped to me.:jecklinsmile: There are some things that do not hold their value, but that is not one of them. Years ago I had the ability to buy anything Pioneer made for half price, but it is never easy to predict the future and know exactly what to buy. Hindsight is 20-20.

I just read through the Don Sachs website and it is most impressive. I started out building Dynaco solid state like him but I had a friend who introduced me to the tube side of amplifiers. I do a lot of my own builds and once I retire I will most likely go back and resurrect some of the old tube equipment. Obviously he pays attention to aesthetics as well as sound, his approach makes perfect sense but luckily I will not be trying to make a living doing that.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #33,642 of 153,933
Probably not for you. If you can't set them up right in an adequate room then don't bother. When done right the tightly defined listening position widens up a lot. I have rarely heard a subwoofer sound right with Maggies if you want seamless integration. Same reason why I don't care for Martin Logans that try to integrate a dynamic driver with an electrostatic panel.

Maggies definitely don't work with subs. If you need more bass buy bigger Maggies. I used Tympani 1D's for years when I had the right sized listening room.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #33,644 of 153,933
How about the Super MMG which utilizes a maggie (planar) subwoofer, instead of a dynamic?

It's been a while since I've read up on that, but I thought Magnepan was clear that the bass panel was a woofer, not a subwoofer. I think they were shooting for solid response down into the 50s region so that should fill in the bass good enough for most people. But the key thing is that it is planar like the other panels, so integration should be good.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #33,645 of 153,933
Maggies definitely don't work with subs. If you need more bass buy bigger Maggies. I used Tympani 1D's for years when I had the right sized listening room.

...and a lot of BIG power works wonders too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back