Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #32,551 of 152,859
Thanks, interesting. Maybe not that far off the mark, but it depends how heavily one weights those 5 traits in importance. The direction I come from, as a primarily classical (and some Jazz) music listener has my Jot is the least desirable sonically of all the gear on that stand with my music and I much prefer my Ragnarok to it (which I've found to be one of the best sounding SS headphone amps I've come across). Jot's a bit too intense, too upfront, too aggressive, but I can sense how it could really rock-out with more popular and electronic genres. I bought a Loki for use with Jot so I could make the Jot's sound more palatable to my eardrums. Not pictured above is My Rogue RH5 which now sits on a lower Salamander stand along side my pile-o-Schiit Salamander stand so I can feed it, along with Ragnarok, Jot and MJ2, from my 4 way balanced XLR switchbox.

What I can say at this point is the LYR 3 is a very different sound from the rest of my HP amps, almost disarming. Likely the combination of some of the new circuit design features and the different tube type make it so. 12AX7's, 6DJ8's, 12AU7's, 12AT7's and their types; while they have their sonic differences are more of a family in sound to my ears. The 6SN7 (this is my first experience ever with this tube type), is giving me a different or maybe more refined experience, ("Clarity"?) and that's with either the stock Tung-Sol or the Raytheon, LYR 3 basic sound signature is the same with either brand and different from my other 2 tube amps.This 6SN7 (or is it the LYR 3 circuitry?) can really unravel densely scored passages with ease and maintain stability. Voices are almost spooky real at times, real bodies behind them. Why? I have no idea. Electrons flowing thru various metals in a vacuum, why should there be difference? In any event I've been a tube guy since my first stereo and never found SS as completely satisfying in all areas and no one has ever accused me of being a bass-head so maybe thereby hangs a part of my take on SS vs Valves. Positives and trade-offs is the name of the game when tube and transistor face off. Hybrids do give me pause for thought however, LOL!

A recent poster put up a link in the last day or so from another site about a devise used to inject a little low level 2nd harmonic distortion into the signal chain to improve / change sound characteristics. I chuckled all the way thru it. Growing up with the sound of tubes and output transformers (no hybrid types back then) in the 50's and 60's it took me forever to find a SS devise I liked the sound of. Nelson Pass's early stuff finally caught my attention and some level of acceptance. Took me a lot longer to go from LP to CD with the early Wadia transport and DAC, but Yggy was almost a prayer answered for me to get close enough to analogue sound with my CD's to forgo all the procedurals involved with LP's. But I'm still a tube-o-phile when it comes to my amplification and never was an exclusive SS user, I always had some glass around. I can forgive a little loss of extension at the frequency extremes that I can have with SS, but I always come back around to tubes for the long haul.

The Jot is a great amp for $399. But, the LYR 3 at $524 with a Tung-Sol is a phenomenal sounding amp. But that's just me and I can full well accept that others will hear it differently. And it could be genre specific as well. While most around here cross themselves and hold up garlic and wolves-bane at the mention of the word "Opera", I'm hopeful that bosiemoncrieff can get some LYR time on his next Schiit'r pilgrimage for a listening session, and give us his thoughts.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #32,552 of 152,859
Dammit!! Now you've gone and made it where I have to buy the freakin' Lyr 3. :angry:

May 7, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #32,553 of 152,859
It should track the chassis fairly closely, in an ideal scenario. Most amplifiers want to keep all the components running at about the same temperature, for bias stability.

The fancy word for this is "isothermal."

Fun fact: got a speaker power amp you hate? Got a can of freeze spray? Start spraying random parts (especially if you know where the Vbe multiplier is) and get ready to watch the magic smoke come out. Not being isothermal can provoke some very bad things.
So the best way to push more dB from two Vidars into maggies would be to run my A/C down to 55F rather than the 72 it normally sits at?
Or rig up some cooling coils around the chassis and connect to a big Neslab chiller in an adjacent room?

May 7, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #32,554 of 152,859
Dammit!! Now you've gone and made it where I have to buy the freakin' Lyr 3. :angry:

LOL!. Hopefully it won't break your bank account. One of the really nice thing about this Schiit is that for under a grand, for someone who has never lived the tube experience, this a a very cost effective way to settle the issue for ones self buying both a Jot and LYR 3. Nothing beats side by side comparisons over a reasonable time frame.

And of course, 15 days to evaluate with Schiit

May 7, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #32,555 of 152,859
I figured I would play with a Lyr 2 first and try the sound on it. Any comparisons on sound between Lyr 2 and Lyr 3?

May 7, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #32,556 of 152,859
LOL!. Hopefully it won't break your bank account. One of the really nice thing about this Schiit is that for under a grand, for someone who has never lived the tube experience, this a a very cost effective way to settle the issue for ones self buying both a Jot and LYR 3. Nothing beats side by side comparisons over a reasonable time frame.

And of course, 15 days to evaluate with Schiit

I only got into headphones and Schiit because my kids made it impossible to spend any quality time listening to my 2 channel rig. Being banished to my study, I thought I'd give this personal audio thing a try, so I went inexpensive with the Magni 3 and Mimby. This whole headphone thing has really grown on me and now I've added the Eitr and Loki. Now that I'm completely won over and prefer to listen to my headphones over my speakers, I guess it's time to make a bigger investment. The Lyr 3 seems like a good next step as I'm sure the difference compared to the Magni 3 is HUGE!!

(Of course, then I'll need to upgrade my headphones and DAC, etc. It's a vicious circle!)

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #32,557 of 152,859
I only got into headphones and Schiit because my kids made it impossible to spend any quality time listening to my 2 channel rig. Being banished to my study, I thought I'd give this personal audio thing a try, so I went inexpensive with the Magni 3 and Mimby. This whole headphone thing has really grown on me and now I've added the Eitr and Loki. Now that I'm completely won over and prefer to listen to my headphones over my speakers, I guess it's time to make a bigger investment. The Lyr 3 seems like a good next step as I'm sure the difference compared to the Magni 3 is HUGE!!

(Of course, then I'll need to upgrade my headphones and DAC, etc. It's a vicious circle!)

And into the rabbit hole you go....

:)

May 8, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #32,558 of 152,859
The Lyr 3 seems like a good next step as I'm sure the difference compared to the Magni 3 is HUGE!!

What I've found in this hobby in my somewhat limited experience is that things are rarely night and day, and most people would describe a 5-10% increase in sound quality with words like "huge" and "massive". From everything I've read the Magni 3 punches way above it's weight, so it might not be as huge of an upgrade as you think.

Or it might be. I haven't heard either one, but when comparing my Jotunheim to Vali 2 to Magni 2 to fulla 2, it's hard to tell the difference if I'm not doing direct back to back comparisons. I use fulla 2 and hd6xx at work, and Jotunheim hd650 at home. There are many days I consider selling my Jotunheim but I love the build quality and the features (XLR > TRS all day) much more than my other amps.

When it comes to Dacs, that's where I can tell the biggest difference. Modi multibit is just so much better than the Delta sigma variants.

May 8, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #32,559 of 152,859
Yeah -- I exaggerated a bit. Not really expecting HUGE, but what I do want is more detail, separation/air and a bit wider sound-stage with improved imaging. The Magni 3 is quite a nice bit of kit, but I'm hoping that the Lyr 3 can deliver just a bit more to really take me deeper into the music. Never truly experienced a tube amp (except for a $50 Nobsound unit) and I'm curious to see what a real HQ tube amp adds to the wonderful detail delivered via my Modi Multibit. Have not pulled the trigger yet, but it is rather tempting. And a little tube rolling does sound like fun.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #32,561 of 152,859
Question for Jason, or anyone else. I am looking to buy a pair of 3.5 inch 2 way car speakers, and wire them to fit a 1/4 inch plug. They have an RMS of 6-15 watt, are 4 ohm, and a sensitivity of 88db. Would Magni 3 be able to safely power them? I want to make a little quasi portable speaker box, that I can use near my fire pit, or in my office. I had a pair of Phillips speakers that plugged into my phone/ipad, I loaned them to my brother and they are gone. I dislike Bluetooth. Maybe I should just find a portable speaker with a manual line in. Anyone got ideas?

May 8, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #32,563 of 152,859
Question for Jason, or anyone else. I am looking to buy a pair of 3.5 inch 2 way car speakers, and wire them to fit a 1/4 inch plug. They have an RMS of 6-15 watt, are 4 ohm, and a sensitivity of 88db. Would Magni 3 be able to safely power them? I want to make a little quasi portable speaker box, that I can use near my fire pit, or in my office. I had a pair of Phillips speakers that plugged into my phone/ipad, I loaned them to my brother and they are gone. I dislike Bluetooth. Maybe I should just find a portable speaker with a manual line in. Anyone got ideas?
You are going to exceed the thermal capabilities of the amp, even if you are not playing it that loud. I suggest that you:

A. Find your brother

B. Try one of these
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/

May 8, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #32,564 of 152,859
i generally use small powered speakers for such an application, I use a portable DAP like a Pono player. Many powered speakers have rechargeable batteries and I use separate battery packs to keep phone, DAP and speakers charged. With this setup I also have the ability to use headphones in a balanced mode through the PONO player. In my case I could easily be around the firepit for 4-6 hours and this is an easy setup to pack up at the end of the evening.

For longer applications and for powering larger speakers like some 100 watt Martin Logans outdoors I use a device like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DieHard-71...m=162923272600&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

USB ports, AC outlets, and 400 watts of power.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #32,565 of 152,859

No matter what you buy, there is always something else out there. Within a certain brand, it is probably easier to justify than when you start comparing models from other brands. Unless you attend shows, or live in a certain area, it is not even easy to hear amps or dacs before you buy them.
There are a few outs if you have the time and knowledge. There are always kits and DIY projects and many people save money there. Something like the coaster amp, within the Schiit realm might cause them to put together higher end kits down the road. I just put together an amp from just a build list and pc board and it is remarkably good for $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back