Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #32,266 of 154,007
Yep, those are my veritas 2.2i's -- the final unique speaker before (Energy) was gobbled up by API, then Klipsch --> http://www.klipsch.com/news/klipsch-group-inc-acquires-audio-products-international (Had to think about it, was a million years ago now).

Very cool Scott, I thought that was the case. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and ended up with quite a few of their speakers at a price I should not mention. Unless they have moved again the Klipsch home office was in Hope Arkansas and now it is in Indianapolis not far from me.

May 2, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #32,267 of 154,007
Hi, regarding your Magni 3, is the volume knob correctly centered? My father just bought one (because I recommended it...) and its volume knob is off-center, leaning slightly left/right depending the setting. He is not pleased, and I thought I'd see if there are others with similar issues. I have seen a photo on Head-Fi of a Sys with an off-center volume knob too.

Anyone else seen this?

Mine is not perfectly center either. When looking at it straight on from my desk the pot sits lower in the opening, so there is noticibly more of a gap at the top then the bottom. When looking at it from above, you can see the pot is off very slightly from left to right. Like a sixteenth of an inch. It's only noticible from a certain angle. It bugged me when I got it, but only momentarily, as the device seems sturdy and sounds great, and I don't have it sitting on a shelf anywhere as a decoration. I had actually forgot about it until you asked. I'm sure the variations are within Schiits manufacturing tolerances.

Edit. P.S. I like my Magni enough I put it on the gift wish list I give my wife. Like Jason says it could be the only amp you need. The minor pot discrepancy had no impact on me wanting one for home. She actually had another Magni ordered for my birthday. I found out about it and was thrilled, but asked her to cancel it, and buy me some lumber so I could put in a 32x24 sandbox in our backyard for our daughter.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #32,269 of 154,007
I have read a lot of Pratchett, funny writer. I also read the Wilt series by Tom Sharpe, and a few books by Christopher Moore including a fairly new one Noir. All hilarious.

A humorous american writer whose entire collection I have read as well is Carl Hiassen, he developed a character named Skink. He writes about Florida and even co-wrote a song or two with Warren Zevon.

I especially like to use Zevon's Nighttime at the Switching yard when testing amps, cables, etc.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #32,270 of 154,007
  1. Remote controlled volume: I suggest you look into FET switches instead of relays. I have had not so good experience with relays especially when they have to switch very low currents and are getting older. Also, I somehow found relays to be less transparent even than a good potentiometer.
I’ve been wondering about running audio signals through relays too. But more than that, I found the scratchy sound the Saga makes when changing the volume to be pretty grating. Doing volume with a ladder is pretty neat, but I don’t think I love the implementation with relays.

May 2, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #32,271 of 154,007
My latest toys arrived yesterday: a Sys (so that I can switch in my FM radio line-outs [Christ, that box is surprisingly heavy])... and a Loki (that's box runs warm [far more than my Magni3]). Question for the forum: other than RTFM (which I did), are there specific resources available here (or on the 'net) that "you'd" recommend for a newcomer to tone control?

May I have 3 different options, from three different sites. I'd like to educate myself with my new toy (nicely made, by the way). Thanks in advance.

RTFM = read the f++king manual... which I did. Please don't refer me back to it and tell me read it again. I also did basic google-fu... that just made it worse... too much woo-woo.

May 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #32,272 of 154,007
My latest toys arrived yesterday: a Sys (so that I can switch in my FM radio line-outs [Christ, that box is surprisingly heavy])... and a Loki (that's box runs warm [far more than my Magni3]). Question for the forum: other than RTFM (which I did), are there specific resources available here (or on the 'net) that "you'd" recommend for a newcomer to tone control?

May I have 3 different options, from three different sites. I'd like to educate myself with my new toy (nicely made, by the way). Thanks in advance.

RTFM = read the f++king manual... which I did. Please don't refer me back to it and tell me read it again. I also did basic google-fu... that just made it worse... too much woo-woo.

Basically you just adjust it until it sounds the best to "you"...

May 2, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #32,273 of 154,007
Have you tried Googling the manual? :D

Seriously, though. As stated above, its a personal thing. Adjust to where you feel your cans or speakers sound best. Recommendations vary based on the headphone/speaker characteristics and your listening preferences. Me, personally -- I checked reviews for my headphones and worked with the frequency graphs to identify where my Hifiman HE400S cans might need a little tweaking. I used that as a starting point and just worked from there to achieve a sound I liked.

Have fun!! I love my Loki!!

BTW -- the Loki is the warmest piece of Schitt in my stack, too.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #32,274 of 154,007
Basically you just adjust it until it sounds the best to "you"...

Have you tried Googling the manual? :D

Seriously, though. As stated above, its a personal thing. Adjust to where you fell your cans or speakers sounds best. Recommendations vary based on the headphone/speaker characteristics and your listening preferences.

Me, personally -- I checked reviews for my headphones and worked with the frequency graphs to identify where my Hifiman HE400S cans might need a little tweaking. I used that as a starting point and just worked form there to achieve a sound I liked.

There's ALWAYS one... LMGTFY (I'm unhip, I think that means letmegooglethatforyou, right?). Anyway, thanks @yonson and @Ripper2860 for the speedy reply. I dug up a copy of Home Recording for Musicians (For Dummies), and went to the "exploring equalization" section. It has knobs. Lots of knobs. I'm happy with my purchase.

May 2, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #32,275 of 154,007
Tales from the trenches at work:

The hardware engineer a few cubes down is working on a VLF RF amp. He's playing around with it and asks no one in particular, "Can you hear that?"

I could.

He wasn't sure he believed me, so he asked me several times if I could hear it now.

"No."

"How about now?"

"...no."

"How about now?"

"No, I don'tOUCH! Don't do that! That really hurts!"

"Sorry, I do have to work on it."

"What frequency is that?"

"Uh, 20 kHz."

"Are you sure? My ears aren't supposed to hear that high."

"Yes... I don't think there are any subharmonics in it."

"Then it really is very loud."

He must have a transformer winding that's vibrating, or something.

May 2, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #32,276 of 154,007
I have had that happen in tv and monitors, sometimes just a couple drops of super glue will solve it.

May 2, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #32,277 of 154,007
Since the Book Klub is in session, may I suggest Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

Ooh yes, I love Pratchett as well. The Watch and Death sub-series are fantastic.

May 2, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #32,279 of 154,007
Yeah, he's working on it.

Unfortunately when you get to be my age the high frequencies are generally what you lose first. I am lucky to hear above 15k, I have had to ask younger folks to tell me when such noises stopped lol.

May 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #32,280 of 154,007
I used to have the whole set of Burroughs books....... Tarzan Pellucidar, Mars etc.

But my favourite author in spite of Asimov, Heinlein, Clark, Zelazny, et al, was E.E. Doc Smith of Lensman and Skylark fame.

Wink, I think I have to agree with you, E. E. Doc Smith produced some incredible Sci Fi. I read them in my 20's again in my early 50's and plan on doing so again.

Although now in my 70's they will have to wait for me to finish the new amps i'm working on.

Not enough time for both at the moment.

Ed in St. Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back