Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #32,281 of 154,517
Ok I have read all of the others but not E.E.Doc Smith so I will have to check that out. He is not an easy read but China Mieville is a modern author who has produced some amazing work. Perdido Street Station and The City & The City are particular favorites.

May 2, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #32,282 of 154,517
I got hooked on the series years ago abut lost interest after book 8 or so. Then the author died. I know that his widow commissioned another writer to finish the series and perhaps when my eyes are up to it, I shall pick up where I left off and finish the series. I really enjoyed that series of books.

Might I suggest trying to listen to the books until your eyes improve. I've listened to the entire series and thoroughly enjoyed it. If memory serves, Michael Kramer is the reader with Kate Reading and they are marvelous.

Get better soon.

Joe

May 2, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #32,283 of 154,517
I stay so busy that I use little else besides Audible right now and generally go through 4 books a week or so. There are some amazing readers like Simon Vance, Wil Wheaton, and Ray Porter. I have Echo units several places in my house and can listen to books through a couple stereo systems as well as in my car.

May 2, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #32,284 of 154,517
Unfortunately when you get to be my age the high frequencies are generally what you lose first. I am lucky to hear above 15k, I have had to ask younger folks to tell me when such noises stopped lol.

I am an old guy, and the last time I checked, my hearing rolled off at 15 kHz. And that was a while ago.

That thing must be screamingly loud.

May 2, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #32,285 of 154,517
Okay, here's something that I'm sure no other company could ever post, but here goes:

The schiitr at The Schiitr has taken a schiit. No schiit.

Yes. The bathroom at the Schiitr is having problems. The kind of problems that will require ripping out walls. Big plumbing leak, been going on for a while, oops. We'll make do this weekend, but we're going to have to close from May 6 to May 16 for repairs.

This has been posted on the Schiitr page of the site, but I thought it so hilarious I figured it was worth mentioning here.

TL;DR: The Schiitr will be closed from May 6 to 16 for repairs to its bathroom. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 2, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #32,286 of 154,517
Bench Pics:

I felt a bit left out when a few of you guys recently posted work bench pics.

Don't have any work bench pics at hand, and my bench gear is presently boxed-up in preparation for a California move, but...

I do have this relatively recent test bench pic to submit for your amusement.

In the pic I'm taking basic THD+N vs power into various loads measurements for a headphone amplifier design.

Much of the old HP analog test gear visible is nearly as old as I am (49). While its not as fast to use as newer digital test gear, it's accurate and reliable -- so we're still getting the job done :wink:

thd_tests_2.jpg

May 2, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #32,287 of 154,517
Okay, here's something that I'm sure no other company could ever post, but here goes:

Yes. The bathroom at the Schiitr is having problems. The kind of problems that will require ripping out walls. Big plumbing leak, been going on for a while, oops. We'll make do this weekend, but we're going to have to close from May 6 to May 16 for repairs.

This has been posted on the Schiitr page of the site, but I thought it so hilarious I figured it was worth mentioning here.

TL;DR: The Schiitr will be closed from May 6 to 16 for repairs to its bathroom. Sorry for any inconvenience.

A pretty schitty situation, indeed. :xf_eek:

We're talking the retail store, right? MFG and Shipping operations are still A-OK?

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #32,289 of 154,517

Oh Geez...

Plumbing can be scary stuff, producing sleepless nights of worry. Old pipes are the least charming part of quaint old buildings. I fully understand why plumbing is a well-paid professional trade --lots to know, and quite often difficult work.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys don't find too much structural damage, and particularly not the much-dreaded black mold --Yikes!

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #32,290 of 154,517
Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #32,291 of 154,517
A pretty schitty situation, indeed. :xf_eek:

We're talking the retail store, right? MFG and Shipping operations are still A-OK?

Yep, just the retail store. Nothing like when Alex ran the forklift into the fire sprinklers in the warehouse, 4-5 years ago. That was a much bigger oh schiit moment.

May 2, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #32,292 of 154,517

May 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #32,293 of 154,517

Aliens. Definitely aliens.

omyA3Wr.jpg

nStOwDs.png

May 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #32,294 of 154,517

An inconvenience at the convenience.

Which reminds me...

What was the captains log doing in the toilet?

Fighting the klingons!

Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back