Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #31,966 of 149,720
The possible Rag v2 sounds pretty exciting. Wondering if you are looking at making it modular, or if you would possibly give it a new name, as it seems such a drastic departure from the existing raggy.

Are you considering doing a modular v2 of raggy?

I am less excited about the Continuity 2ch product, but that is more because of price consideration then anything else. I keep hoping to see something 2ch in the 300-500 range, assuming said item is just a power amp like Vidar. 100+ for something similar is meh to me, unless you are putting tubes in it, as that would really give folks options.

Does Continuity imply tubes are a part of the equipment, or does Continuity only refer to how you play around with power class?

Its my opinion you would be well served by having a 2 ch item in the 300-500 range, as that would pair well with Saga, Jot, Asgard, Valhalla, and Mimby or Bifrost. I don't have any opinion as to what class said product would be, but if it sounded similar to my Magni 3 I'd be very happy.

If your potential 2 ch continuity item turned into or opened the door for a mini Ragnarok for 800-1000 ish then color me very excited. I am under the impression you were just talking power amp for said product, but if you made it into a integrated amp for 800-1000 ish, I'd strongly consider impulse buying one on day one.

Is it possible to do modular cards that contain headphone amps? Maybe you do an integrated 2ch amp, and people can choose from Phono, D/S DAC, MB Dac, or HP Amp (ala Magni 3 tech). That to me would be pretty cool. Even if the HP jack is in the back.

My basement listening room is isolated well enough from the upstairs bedrooms that I listen to 2ch quite loudly at night while wife and daughter sleep. My HP use is mostly limited to at work.

P.S this rant was fueled by whisky. Hopefully it's easy to follow when sober.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #31,968 of 149,720
I noticed the absence of FedEx when I ordered my Loki & SYS tonight. The USPS option was cheaper for me (here in Ontario). UPS was going to hose me for ~$130-150. No. Just no.

That much for Loki and Sys? You could almost ship those in a business sized envelop.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #31,970 of 149,720
@Jason Stoddard It seems lots of people are asking about a Ragnarok 2. Are you able to confirm or deny that such a thing is in the works? And if one is in the works, can it please have an HT Bypass (power amp only) mode?

A new iteration, yes, but almost certainly won't be called Rag 2, since they've defined Rag/Yig as the "statement" devices. So whatever is the best they have to offer, it will be called by the original names.

At least, at the last time we had this discussion. Minds are subject to change without notice, though. :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #31,971 of 149,720
Now I'm using Ragnarok mainly for 2 channel. But when I heard tubes (for the first time) in Mjolnir 2 I was very impressed and wished that I can get Freya + Vidar. but with this Vidar class A in the works maybe I will wait for that.
How about Freya + Ragnarok for your 2-channel rig? I know one Head-fier using that setup and he's a happy camper.
PM @Pietro Cozzi Tinin and he can provide listening experience!

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #31,972 of 149,720
How about Freya + Ragnarok for your 2-channel rig? I know one Head-fier using that setup and he's a happy camper.
PM @Pietro Cozzi Tinin and he can provide listening experience!

Yeah, I asked him a few months ago and adviced me not to do it. As per his words “Puting it between Yggdrasil and Ragnarok seriously degraded the music.”

Putting a preamp infront of an integrated amp (pre amp and power amp) is, as some say, not advisea ble.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #31,973 of 149,720
Yeah, I asked him a few months ago and adviced me not to do it. As per his words “Puting it between Yggdrasil and Ragnarok seriously degraded the music.”

Putting a preamp infront of an integrated amp (pre amp and power amp) is, as some say, not advisea ble.
I have to nuance that.
In my stack it works perfect because of good tubes, all balanced and only used when a tube stage is preferable.
It takes a lot of time to figure out how to get it right.
A Ragnarok where you can bypass the pre-stage would make it very easy.
As a rule I use the Freya as pre to a SS Lehmann Powerstage for headphones.
Blisss

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #31,974 of 149,720

I have got to disagree. If you are using the line out from a tube preamp to the line in on an integrated SS amp it will work perfectly. It is the prescribed method of getting that "tubey" goodness from a solid state amp.

One must also understand equipment synergy may also come into play. Of IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada...

:)

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #31,975 of 149,720

I have got to disagree. If you are using the line out from a tube preamp to the line in on an integrated SS amp it will work perfectly. It is the prescribed method of getting that "tubey" goodness from a solid state amp.

One must also understand equipment synergy may also come into play. Of IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada...

Interesting. In theory I thought it would be as you said but Ive asked around here and although some kind folks have tried it no one really stucked with it.

So I thought why bother. I will just wait for the next Rag v2 or the Vidar uber then decide.

Though I have a computer engineering degree I dont have a full on electronics background to really know.

But this is good Ive learned alot from this thread and from the people I’ve had asked.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #31,976 of 149,720
I have to nuance that.
In my stack it works perfect because of good tubes, all balanced and only used when a tube stage is preferable.
It takes a lot of time to figure out how to get it right.
A Ragnarok where you can bypass the pre-stage would make it very easy.
As a rule I use the Freya as pre to a SS Lehmann Powerstage for headphones.
Blisss

I am considering getting a Freya to use for a similar purpose. Balanced out from it to dual solid state headphone amps and of course I am starting with a Dac with balanced output.

I can do this with solid state right now but I do like to get tube sound involved. When mixing equipment, as long as you are dealing with quality products and not over driving any portion (the equipment is used the way it is meant to be used) you should be fine. Right now I switch between as many as five amps, two speaker amps, multiple pre-amps out etc. I also use two switch boxes and may do a multiple balanced setup before long. If you do enough testing and experimenting with a decent knowledge of how the equipment works, it is fun to arrive at a system you really like.

Within my setup I am also testing multiple types of headphone cables. If anything ever happened to me I am not so sure anyone could come along and figure it out very easily and they would be better off just unplugging each piece of equipment and starting from scratch.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #31,979 of 149,720
I noticed the absence of FedEx when I ordered my Loki & SYS tonight. The USPS option was cheaper for me (here in Ontario). UPS was going to hose me for ~$130-150. No. Just no.
Watch out!!! FedEx and co might kill the Schiit business. Ridiculous prices!!! There goes the direct model

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #31,980 of 149,720
Watch out!!! FedEx and co might kill the Schiit business. Ridiculous prices!!! There goes the direct model

I doubt that...

I hope Schiit and FedEx can work it out. If not USPS and UPS are still readily available. I have used all 3, FedEx, UPS and USPS for my Schiit purchases and actually had the best luck and prices with the old USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back