Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #31,096 of 149,310
How distortion-y? Well, with the lower rails and 6088 tubes, we're talking 1.5-2% THD at 1V RMS out. Yeah, that's huge. Sonically, it actually isn't that bad. I could see lots of people liking it. But we are getting well above the threshold of audibility here.

I don't really care about distortion as long as it sounds good. I say keep the 6088s!

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #31,097 of 149,310
@Jason Stoddard ... fascinating ! .... "And that's how 99% of them will be used, I expect." ? This is looking much better than that ... to me ! I can imagine demoing this to my sceptical (miserly) friends when this launches ! Great marketing !
I’m making my way through a memoir-type book called The Age Of Persuasion: How Marketing Ate Our Culture (Terry O’Reilly & Mike Tennant [Alfred A. Knopf Canada {2009}]). I think I’m finally starting to understand why Schiit does this style of marketing. Geurilla-tactics... social media driven advertising, owner-customer-engagement, and develop an... um... well, enthusiastic following (my god, I can call myself a Schiit-Head with pride) who advertise the product far and wide.
Smart & Disruptive.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #31,100 of 149,310
I have already sold the idea of new coasters to my girlfriend, so looking forward to them becoming available. Probably not going to build the amp, even though I'm sure it would be a fun little project.
The first Vali was a fun little amp, so if the power-coaster sounds anything like that, it will be a hit among certain crowd for sure.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #31,101 of 149,310
I must be missing something here. The only one I understand is ORT. Carry on.
This condition is definitely curable with a healthy diet of Laxettes........:ksc75smile:

I don't really care about distortion as long as it sounds good. I say keep the 6088s!
This is the bane of true fidelity and has stifled true high fidelity since the inception of music reproduction and must, of necessity be called out for what it is whenever it rears it's ugly umusical head.

yiwz1p.gif

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #31,104 of 149,310
Thanks for the responses re: LISST !

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #31,106 of 149,310
I’m making my way through a memoir-type book called The Age Of Persuasion: How Marketing Ate Our Culture (Terry O’Reilly & Mike Tennant [Alfred A. Knopf Canada {2009}]). I think I’m finally starting to understand why Schiit does this style of marketing. Geurilla-tactics... social media driven advertising, owner-customer-engagement, and develop an... um... well, enthusiastic following (my god, I can call myself a Schiit-Head with pride) who advertise the product far and wide.
Smart & Disruptive.

I was considering the same (being a Schiity Person myself). But it is all useless if your products don't back your marketing.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #31,109 of 149,310
I was considering the same (being a Schiity Person myself). But it is all useless if your products don't back your marketing.
I would consider it a double-edged consequence of such approaches. Schiit builds a relationship with “us”. If they ever abused that trust, well...

Their product line covers the whole range of socioeconomic backgrounds (if one wants “good” sound, there’s a product for them).

Me? When I caress the brushed aluminum & FLICK the switch, it’s (almost) a visceral experience. I’m enjoying music again!

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #31,110 of 149,310
Question for the group. What are your thoughts on the usage of Ferrite cores in usb cables? Debating whether to go with the PYST usb cables or something on amazon. One sold by a company called Tripp-Lite has ferrite cores built into the cable. I have little experience with ferrite cores other then Panasonic included two with the plasma I bought a few years back. Wondering what's better, silver coated PYST cables or ferrites, or both, or does it really matter. Will be going from a PC to Mimby

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back