Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #31,127 of 149,144
My question is kind of dumb. But you can't use it as a coaster and a tube amp right - even if it's turned off? The coaster will be a flat thing with no tubes in it. If you build it as a tube amp then you can't actually tell people it's a coaster because it looks like a tube amp. But you can't tell people the coaster is a tube amp because it's a flat circle with lines on it with no tubes.

I guess you could tell people this circle with lines on it could eventually become a tube amp sort of like the Ghost of Christmas Future.
I guess I don't understand the concept or how it would be used.

When I've told people anything about a tube amp without an actual tube amp there, they ask me "What's a tube amp?"
Then I guess I'd have to tell them it's like this coaster, but it's got all kinds of other stuff in there made out of glass.
"Oh you mean, like the glass I'm sitting on top of it?" they ask.
"No, well, sort of. But this one glows. Oh and then you can't set your glass there."
"But it's fine to do so now?"
"Yes but not in the future when I make this tube amp with this coaster you got your glass on right now."
".....?"
"Yes, you'll have to use a different coaster."
"...I see."

Maybe you could buy two so people could see the difference. Have a coaster they can sit their drink on. And the tube amp right next to it which they can spill their drink on. When they do, you can make it in to a coaster again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then it could be a transforming tube amp to coaster device.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #31,128 of 149,144
@Jason Stoddard

Uh oh, you are probably going to need a big warning label.

"FOR USE ONLY AS COASTER OR AMP NOT BOTH"

:)

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #31,132 of 149,144
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #31,133 of 149,144
"Coaster will not magically grow into a tube amp, even if properly watered...
Watered? Whiskied, Rummed, Ginned, Vodka'd, Brandied, even Beered but not Watered.

In other news, it appears some people don't get the idea of cool coasters; once in a passing shot on TV I saw some coasters that had pictures of DT-100 headphones, I would definitely buy a set of those.
I have searched but cannot find them anywhere.
(I own a pair of those Beyers, purely for the historical fugliness).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #31,134 of 149,144
As I understand it USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 are not the same as USB Audio Standard 1.0 and 2.0. Not really sure what the speed differences between USB at 12Mbps and 480Mbps has to do with streaming audio at Audio standard 1.0 vs 2.0, but I'm definitely in violation of all recommended guidelines. Due to placement constraints of my PC on my 2-channel home system, I have a 12' USB cable attached to a 10' USB extension cable for a total of 22'. This nightmare cable scenario then connects to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 DAC's USB input which connects to my Cambridge Audio CXA 60 integrated amp connected to a pair of ELAC UniFi UB5 bookshelf speakers. The DAC Magic connects properly at USB Audio 2.0 and is able to play 192/24 files flawlessly with no glitches or sync issues using WSASPI or ASIO drivers. That's 22 feet of non-esoteric USB cables and it sounds A-OK to me, even with no EITR and no Wyrd in the mix. I do, however, have a $48 Audioquest Jitterbug passive USB power filter between the PC USB port and the USB cable, but honestly, I never experienced issues before I added the Jitterbug. No re-clocking or signal regeneration going on here.

While I have not tried my Mimby via this 22' monstrosity, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that cable length is not a hard and fast rule with many factors playing into whether a long USB cable run will work or not. Now when it comes to my HP rig: single 2m USB cable from PC to EITR | Silver Plated 6" RCA for EITR to MImby | 2' Canare audio cables for Mimby to Loki | Loki to Magni 3 via Silver Plated 6" RCA cables.

** Maybe I don't need the EITR, but I don't have it to solve a problem. I have it to improve overall sound of the already awesome sounding Mimby. I suspect my HP rig is more revealing than my 2 channel system and benefited from addition of the EITR.
Connecting at USB 2.0 high speed, (480 MHz) with a 22 foot cable is a hard and fast impossibility unless the speed of light is different and much faster where you live. USB Class 2 Audio can function at 12 MHz USB 1.1 speeds depending on the channel count, number of endpoints, bit depth and sampling speed. 2 channel should not be a problem. But USB 1.1 is so 1995, ew.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #31,135 of 149,144
What if I were to do a 15-25 foot run ( I know PYST are 1 meter)? Would it be beneficial to have a Ferrite core for a run that long? I have no idea where my computer will be placed when I redo my basement.

It seems to me that if you are in charge of the renos you should perhaps plan ahead... and place your computer somewhat near to your gear.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #31,136 of 149,144
Watered? Whiskied, Rummed, Ginned, Vodka'd, Brandied, even Beered but not Watered.

In other news, it appears some people don't get the idea of cool coasters; once in a passing shot on TV I saw some coasters that had pictures of DT-100 headphones, I would definitely buy a set of those.
I have searched but cannot find them anywhere.
(I own a pair of those Beyers, purely for the historical fugliness).

I’ve worked in the Art Dept on a couple of TV shows. For copyright clearance reasons they generally don’t use commercially available products. Those coasters were probably made specifically by the show’s art department, so you’ll probably never find then for sale. The good news is you can do the same.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #31,137 of 149,144
I’ve worked in the Art Dept on a couple of TV shows. For copyright clearance reasons they generally don’t use commercially available products. Those coasters were probably made specifically by the show’s art department, so you’ll probably never find then for sale. The good news is you can do the same.
Like, if there are no photos it didn't happen, it's only cool if they are a commercial product. If I made my own, even if superbly done, would only be a (lame) craft project.
Same if I had my own PCB coasters made.
They'd have to be Schiit not to be.
(IMO etc.)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #31,138 of 149,144
Connecting at USB 2.0 high speed, (480 MHz) with a 22 foot cable is a hard and fast impossibility unless the speed of light is different and much faster where you live. USB Class 2 Audio can function at 12 MHz USB 1.1 speeds depending on the channel count, number of endpoints, bit depth and sampling speed. 2 channel should not be a problem. But USB 1.1 is so 1995, ew.

Fortunately, I don't attempt to copy files over that 22' USB run. As it relates to playing audio files, sometimes one has to do what they have to do given the room layout they have to work with. A 22' run is certainly not desired, but has not been detrimental to my playing of 2-channel 192/24 files via DAC and far superior to the AptX HD Bluetooth I was using previously. I just wanted to communicate to the OP that there is some latitude if circumstances require a longer run for Audio. There are very few hard and fast rules as it relates to cable lengths (at least if it is within reason, of course).

Now my HDD loaded with Hi-Res music files for use with JRiver Media Center is connected via USB 3.0. No way I would copy files at 1.1 speeds!! :D

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #31,139 of 149,144
True but the second would be intently limited by the bandwidth standards of the former.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #31,140 of 149,144
My question is kind of dumb. But you can't use it as a coaster and a tube amp right - even if it's turned off? The coaster will be a flat thing with no tubes in it. If you build it as a tube amp then you can't actually tell people it's a coaster because it looks like a tube amp. But you can't tell people the coaster is a tube amp because it's a flat circle with lines on it with no tubes.

I guess you could tell people this circle with lines on it could eventually become a tube amp sort of like the Ghost of Christmas Future.
I guess I don't understand the concept or how it would be used.

When I've told people anything about a tube amp without an actual tube amp there, they ask me "What's a tube amp?"
Then I guess I'd have to tell them it's like this coaster, but it's got all kinds of other stuff in there made out of glass.
"Oh you mean, like the glass I'm sitting on top of it?" they ask.
"No, well, sort of. But this one glows. Oh and then you can't set your glass there."
"But it's fine to do so now?"
"Yes but not in the future when I make this tube amp with this coaster you got your glass on right now."
".....?"
"Yes, you'll have to use a different coaster."
"...I see."

Maybe you could buy two so people could see the difference. Have a coaster they can sit their drink on. And the tube amp right next to it which they can spill their drink on. When they do, you can make it in to a coaster again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then it could be a transforming tube amp to coaster device.

Buy five, build one. I mean who has ONE coaster? Unless you are George Thorogood - "I drink alone ... yeah not with anyone else."

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back