Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #31,066 of 151,224
If you look at the Specs on any Shiit product page, you can see the rated power consumption. Bifrost draws 12 Watts. Asgard 2 draws 30 watts.
...and then I’ll do some arithmetic, take some guesses about hours of usage, and add that to my energyaudit. Got it.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #31,069 of 151,224
Hey all,

Just a quick update: you may not see a chapter from me this week, since the new board didn't solve the problem with the coaster amp. So now I have a real mystery on my hands. Not a huge one, just a bit awkward as I'm also working on helping get Sol into production, and a couple of other new things. Maybe I'll have it worked out this week, maybe not. If I do, I'll post the final chapter and send the boards out for production.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #31,070 of 151,224
Update to the update: I am an idiot.

The reason the coaster wasn't working was that the regulators were falling out of regulation. I'm so used to working with LDO regulators these days, I was caught out by the 317s needing a full 3V to regulate. They were just bareeeellllyyy on the edge of falling out of regulation, hence the buzzing-that-comes-and-goes phenomenon.

I only found it after taking the board upstairs and plugging the wall-wart into a different variac (that was set lower than the lab downstairs). LOUD buzz. Turn up the variac: no buzz. The good news is this is an easy fix, the bad news is that it means we're looking at 30V/15V rails, which will reduce the maximum output of the amp a bit, and change some schematic values. On the other hand, if I want to go realllllly simple, I could go to fixed regulators, but fixed regs are pretty mediocre until you go exotic (that is, far beyond the LM/MC7815 series).

So, maybe you'll see a chapter after all!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #31,071 of 151,224
This coaster amp sounds like it’ll be good fun. Will it come with Instructions for Idiots? :)

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #31,072 of 151,224

The reason the coaster wasn't working was that the regulators were falling out of regulation. I'm so used to working with LDO regulators these days, I was caught out by the 317s needing a full 3V to regulate. They were just bareeeellllyyy on the edge of falling out of regulation, hence the buzzing-that-comes-and-goes phenomenon.

I only found it after taking the board upstairs and plugging the wall-wart into a different variac (that was set lower than the lab downstairs). LOUD buzz. Turn up the variac: no buzz. The good news is this is an easy fix, the bad news is that it means we're looking at 30V/15V rails, which will reduce the maximum output of the amp a bit, and change some schematic values. On the other hand, if I want to go realllllly simple, I could go to fixed regulators, but fixed regs are pretty mediocre until you go exotic (that is, far beyond the LM/MC7815 series).

Thanks for the update. You have restored our faith in Schiit Audio Design. Just in time before this unruly crowd start thinking your coaster design prowess is: "this guy can't even design a coaster worth Schiit!"

This is dry well worn humor folks, on a well worn thread named...:darthsmile:

Once again, you out did yourself on Lyr3!
Look forward to the coaster amp fun. I just wonder if 30v is enough to really make a frog's, I mean toad's leg jump!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #31,073 of 151,224
Thanks for the update. It's really fun standing over your virtual shoulder as you work your way through the development cycle. I'm learning a lot. One of the things I have learned is you're no idiot and you're pretty good at multi-tasking. Can't wait to get my coasters...

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #31,074 of 151,224

Thanks for taking us on the roll a Coaster ride.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #31,075 of 151,224
Mom always said “Don’t put your nose where it doesn’t belong.”

Really? Obviously you ignored her.

I never put any one on "ignore".

So until such time as you can be an enthusiast...go intercourse thy self. I can hear you now - "Doth mine eyes deceive me?! Didst the Toad just tell me in a most ribald fashion to fappeth mine self in to sloblivion?!!"

Yea. Verily I didst just so. Why? Because I have decided that you are not "hurting", i.e., emotional or other wise. You my little manlet are just being a fooktard. Excrement occureth and to be honest, thy cup runneth over with it.

Thus endeth the ramblin' for this day. I shall now pluggeth in my el cheapo de inexpensive wood cupped (size "B", LOL!) planar toadphones in to the mighty VN², cue up some Sinatra and Mathis and dine upon 24 Del Taco tacos and a 1/2 lb bean & cheese burrito. Cuz I am hungry. And a half gallon of iced tea. Cuz I am going to be thirsty.

ORT (The Grumpy)

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #31,076 of 151,224

Ah yes...Thee olde irregular regulators. Seen this many times. I am waitin' fo' deese:
yakety_yak.jpg

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #31,077 of 151,224
^^^

I'm really starting to like the Toad fellow. Definitely seems like someone with whom i'd like to have a beer and converse! :-D

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #31,079 of 151,224
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #31,080 of 151,224
Nope, she never said it me....she said it to the dog.

Lame: Unconvincingly feeble.

Lamé: A type of fabric woven or knit with thin ribbons of metallic yarns. Usually worn in private by lame typists.

I wrote (not TYPED) more but decided the words were too "big" and turgid with toadish humour and would cause you to curl in to a fecal positon for a fortnight (fartnight?). If Sir Jason of Stoddard throws me into Hades it shall be have been worth it. But then I will not stop by the Schiit display this week end. If I even get to attend.

Back to Sinatra via the VN²!

I know... I am such an ass of a toad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back