Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #30,466 of 149,682
How about sticking with the current Asgard 2, but doing an Asgard 2 (or Vali 2) + Modi Multibit bundle (save 10%)?

Dont know if that woukd make sense cost wise, but it would help get folks into a great amp+multibit DAC, but at a slightly better pricepoint (and without all the redesign headaches on your end!)

I almost never reply to posts like this, but the concept interested me...
Now that the Schiit product line has expanded so much, this concept may make sense.
Watch your pushes, dear Schiit lovers. Jason's marketing sense is stirring around.

Luckily, Schiit has already addressed these ideas!

=)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #30,467 of 149,682
Nope, the Multibit DAC module has balanced output. Getting balanced output is easy, thanks to a fancy differential op-amp. This is the same approach as many "balanced" DACs out there.

It's just not "hardware balanced." You see, when we say "hardware balanced," that means "one DAC channel per phase." On many balanced DACs, this is not the case. Gungnir and Yggdrasil are hardware balanced. As is the AK4490 card.
It's why the GMB and Yggy are the best-sounding DACs out there, for the price.
I've heard both, and own the GMB. Love it.
At $1,250 a tremendous value for the performance.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #30,469 of 149,682
I really enjoy my M3, It truly could be the only amp I need. It powers my HD6XX'S quite easily. I rarely crank the pot past 1-2 o clock on low gain. Easy listening is 9 on low gain.

I am very intrigued by Balanced. Someday I'll probably own something that does Balanced. Maybe a vacation to colorado around RMAF is in order.

You are missing out. High Gain on M3 sounds loads better than Low Gain, I use HD6xx as well

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #30,470 of 149,682
I remember being told here a year or more ago after the introduction of Saga and Freya that the 6SN7 type was too noisy to make a good headphone amp?

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #30,471 of 149,682
VU Meters, DAC/AMP/BBQ, QuadTube Powered® and RedLeds® with Toslink, Coaxial and USB inputs as well as a nice, power full phono pre-amp. They all ready use TOAD® - Toggle Only Actuated Device.

As for financing. I can not do that. I must have the money prior to purchase else wise, I can not truly afford it. This is but one reason I think so highly of the company. It is with in reach, even if your reach is limited. Yes, I use a credit card but must pay it off every month. My cars are 2011 and my motor bikes are from 2006 and 2007 respectively. I tend to keep things for a while. I have been looking at SUVs but the pain of purchase ($$$$$) has to date, kept me from buying.

I hear some say...“Ah, but a toad's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” But Browning was not talking about credit card debt (or toads). A toad's reach should never exceed his income. No matter how much I may want (and that is all this is to me), I must first meet the needs of family then my self. After which, come my wants.

Schiit is affordable. If you wish to pay on "time", might I suggest all one need to is to pay themselves every month. I have a Harley piggy jar (can not find a toadish jar, dammit) and that is where I put all of my change and even some ones or may be fives. Until I have what I need to be able to pay for what I want.

I had this frog bank since I was a young boy (late 1960s) enjoy:
Frog Bank.jpg

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #30,472 of 149,682
Does the Multibit DAC card mount vertically still or horizontal?

From the pictures, I don't see the pin outs like on the other cards to hook it up, so I'm a bit confused on how it installs and it connected.
Are the pin outs on the other side of the card pointing down, and the card mounts horizontally?

4490%20g2%201920.jpg

multibit%20DAC%20card%201920.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #30,473 of 149,682
When it comes to Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, I think you (Jason) have already figured out the answer.
If they sell and sell well, great.
If you come up with some cool topology while playing around, that sounds great, make gen 3's.
If they sell poorly/really poorly, well, sometimes you have to kill your babies.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #30,474 of 149,682
I really enjoy my M3, It truly could be the only amp I need. It powers my HD6XX'S quite easily. I rarely crank the pot past 1-2 o clock on low gain. Easy listening is 9 on low gain.

I am very intrigued by Balanced. Someday I'll probably own something that does Balanced. Maybe a vacation to colorado around RMAF is in order.

Highly recommend RMAF. My Dad and I went for the first time last year and we had a blast.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #30,476 of 149,682
In my reading of his post, he states that unequivocally.

Edit :: but he is referring to noise from the heater not noise inherent in the tube type. Also I have never heard someone refer to 6sn7 as noisy

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #30,478 of 149,682
Regarding the possible A3, I think that the topology matters less to me than the sound does. If your new topology in the A3 could sound better than the present class A in the Asgard, that would be huge. With the option of the add on boards, to me that would be a heck of a value. The Jot would still be different enough, especially being balanced, that I think it would survive just fine. My 2 cents.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #30,480 of 149,682
It is implied in Jason's post that the noise was controlled by using a DC heater. Perhaps I am reading too far into it though.

I'm no engineer so neither do I, I read Jason's post as "I found a way"!
What I remember being told was that it was fine in a preamp to drive a power amp but not for headphone application.
It also might be that a hardware balanced version with 2 tubes in a Mjolnir sized chassis (with or without a DAC/phono) is possibly do-able if Schiit sees any sales potential to justify the investment on their part. Hmmmmm!
6SN7: Sexy looking!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back