Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #30,241 of 150,030
OFF TOPIC

though almost every post is...

Pietro,

Recommendation for entry level fountain pen that can use bottled ink? Looks are not an issue. Would like to dabble inexpensively to see if it is for me. Yes, I am old enough that I write cursive by default. Please and thank you.
Lamy - either Safari or AL-Star (same pen, just plastic or Aluminium), make sure you buy a converter when you get it, then you're ready to go. Easy and cheap to swap nibs on those, if you don't like the size you get. Another option (probably my fave) is the Pilot Metropolitan. It's Japanese, and their nibs run a bit finer (more narrow) than the European ones, FYI.

If you're in the States, GouletPens.com is a good reputable source. If you're overseas, Constanza will probably have an excellent referral or three for you...

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #30,243 of 150,030
Unless I have missed something the only 3 projects that they have disclosed to us which are close or closeish to completion are the gadget, sol and the DIY thingy. Given where they were at with sol and the comments made that they were trying to decide on packaging for the gadget, my money is on those 2. I will buy the gadget when it comes out, fingers crossed they have some black ones at launch other wise it will clash with my yggy/rag.

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #30,244 of 150,030
There are all manner of tweaks available for audio and video systems, from power line "upgrades" to boxes of fairy dust and unicorn tears that will remove all the veils from personal aural nirvana. Use them if they float your boat. Don't if they don't. It doesn't matter, ultimately, to what the gear is going to do, although it might matter to *you.*

I got my fairy dust wet with the unicorn tears. It did weird things to the midrange, but the colors, man!

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #30,245 of 150,030
When nuclear fusion is a thing (not for any of us, 'natch) we can all get single use power for our setups. Then the fridge won't ruin the mood when a power surge occurs during a sweet '72 Darkstar jam.

I'm partial to 21 September, which do you like?

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #30,247 of 150,030
Thanks for the tip, listening to 21 Sept on Spotify now (Dicks Picks Vol 36). First dead concert recording I've listened to.

The transition jam (last 5 min or so) out of Dark Star is unutterably sublime.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #30,248 of 150,030
Maybe Sol will change that. Although no cartridge being attached makes me wonder if it's out of my league, from a skill perspective.

Installing a cartridge isn't too bad and I'm all thumbs. I had to redo my cartridge mount when I could hear that it had been miswired and had phase effects that were kind a cool but also that drove me crazy.

Just make sure you have some way to measure stylus pressure. But I know nothing about VTA/SRA.

There are so many lovely cartridges out there but I don't have any idea about what specific differences one cartridge vs another could make. So I got an Ortofon Blue and said, "done!" (Actually, my wife got it as a b-day present and said "Whew!" She knows what this hobby is like.)

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #30,249 of 150,030
Installing a cartridge isn't too bad and I'm all thumbs. I had to redo my cartridge mount when I could hear that it had been miswired and had phase effects that were kind a cool but also that drove me crazy.

Just make sure you have some way to measure stylus pressure. But I know nothing about VTA/SRA.

There are so many lovely cartridges out there but I don't have any idea about what specific differences one cartridge vs another could make. So I got an Ortofon Blue and said, "done!" (Actually, my wife got it as a b-day present and said "Whew!" She knows what this hobby is like.)

Thanks, I guess I'll wait and see what the price point on SOL is. I've been looking at u-turn as well. I'm probably going to get a Grado cartridge regardless of the player. Trying to see if I can assemble a complete made in USA system.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #30,250 of 150,030
When I had my electrical upgraded I just made sure I had a couple of dedicated circuits going to my audio cupboard. That way there’s no refrigerator etc. noise on the line. I also got the electrician to route the lines as far away as possible from other ones, in an attempt to reduce induced noise in the line.

I have a 15m extension cord running from my refrigerator to get it off the stereo room line :triportsad:
helps for the amp I think..

For sources I bought a 220v regenerator... best audio investment I ever made..

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #30,251 of 150,030
OFF TOPIC

Pietro,

Recommendation for entry level fountain pen that can use bottled ink? Looks are not an issue. Would like to dabble inexpensively to see if it is for me. Yes, I am old enough that I write cursive by default. Please and thank you.

Parker Sonnet. Not extremely cheap, but very affordable, and looks good too.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #30,252 of 150,030
Lamy - either Safari or AL-Star (same pen, just plastic or Aluminium), make sure you buy a converter when you get it, then you're ready to go. Easy and cheap to swap nibs on those, if you don't like the size you get. Another option (probably my fave) is the Pilot Metropolitan. It's Japanese, and their nibs run a bit finer (more narrow) than the European ones, FYI.

If you're in the States, GouletPens.com is a good reputable source. If you're overseas, Constanza will probably have an excellent referral or three for you...

Lamy is a very good choice indeed.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #30,255 of 150,030
OFF TOPIC

Pietro,

Just start with the cheap plastic ones. Buy 3. Small, medium en large tip. Now you can determine what your handwriting needs.
Having chosen the tip now you try different stylus whidt's. Parker can be too big, Lammy can be too thin etc.
After finding the good combination you choose material for the stylus that feels best. Steel can be too slippery, wood can be too sweaty.
Having the stylus you want ask the seller to load it with your ideal tip. Tips can be changed. Now it's important what kind of ink you are going to use.
Yours will be bottled so somewhat thicker with more pigment if you use real black ink. This means you cannot use a steel point but need a golden or platinum point.
Now it's down to aesthetics where it's really your own imagination doing it's magic.
I ended up with a St. Dupont Set. Fountainpen white gold medium tip, Balpoint Gelwriter and Refillable Pencil (0,7- 2B).
All in exclusive black Bakelite painted with layers on layers of Chinese lacquer in a leather pouch.
After a year my rheumatic fever got the best of me and using this handsome set became impossible.
The famous Ackerman in The Hague cleaned it for me and now its for the grandchild I'll never get.
So anyone with a good offer can buy it now.
PM me when interested.

Dupont1.jpg Dupont2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back