Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #30,271 of 149,738
Simply because there would be truckloads of profit in it for them and it would be a convenience for some of their customers. I'm not sure how it works where you folks live but around here banks and lending institutions seem to be profitable businesses. Ever finance a car? The business office at the dealership is a profit centre. There's money in lending that could be reinvested into product research and development. As much as everybody loves their Schiit at the end of the day it's another consumer product purchased in the same way as any other consumer product. I would guess that presently the vast majority of purchases from Schitt are with a credit card which means all of the profit from lending went to the credit card company not Schitt. Schitt need not start their own finance company there are plenty of lenders willing to partner with them to share in the profit.

It's not something I would use, I've been debt free for almost 2 decades so my purchases are based on my ability to pay cash. Having said that I don't have top of the line taste so most things are never out of my reach with cash. I don't long for a Yggdrasil, I'm more than happy with Bitfrost level gear. I do understand people's desire to finance consumer products I've been in sales personally for a long time.
I use credit cards pretty much everywhere, mainly for two reasons: I came here as an immigrant, therefore was an adult without a credit history, and AT&T wanted a $500 deposit for a post-paid account (pre-paid it is, thank you very much).
Now my credit is excellent, so the only reason left is: cash back. Every purchase I make gives me at least 1.5% cash back, with the right card up to 5%, and I pay my balance in full every time. No annual fee, no interest.
Of course I pay for that cash back through the fees charged by the credit card companies, which the merchants pass on to me.
So what I could see as making sense is Schiit offering a small discount for payments with debit cards, for which the fees are lower. If they pass on less than the savings: profit. Risk free profit.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #30,273 of 149,738
I use credit cards pretty much everywhere, mainly for two reasons: I came here as an immigrant, therefore was an adult without a credit history, and AT&T wanted a $500 deposit for a post-paid account (pre-paid it is, thank you very much).
Now my credit is excellent, so the only reason left is: cash back. Every purchase I make gives me at least 1.5% cash back, with the right card up to 5%, and I pay my balance in full every time. No annual fee, no interest.
Of course I pay for that cash back through the fees charged by the credit card companies, which the merchants pass on to me.
So what I could see as making sense is Schiit offering a small discount for payments with debit cards, for which the fees are lower. If they pass on less than the savings: profit. Risk free profit.
Positively agree. The only defense the wise consumer has is never pay a penny of interest to the credit card companies. They make so much profit they can write off billions in fraud. Chip cards? It was more profitable to keep writing suff off than invest in better security.

We always pay by cash in restaurants where the server disappears with your card. Once your card is skimmed it "costs" you "nothing" except the hassle of getting new cards. Right. In one case my wife used a card at a local hotel restaurant and before the day was over the card was being used at a gas station. Speaking of which a big problem here in Florida is thieves put skimmers in gas pumps. It's a thriving business. And we all "pay" for this in the end. It's certainly not free. But they can't skim the cash we give them!

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #30,274 of 149,738
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #30,275 of 149,738
Just start with the cheap plastic ones. Buy 3. Small, medium en large tip. Now you can determine what your handwriting needs.
Having chosen the tip now you try different stylus whidt's. Parker can be too big, Lammy can be too thin etc.
After finding the good combination you choose material for the stylus that feels best. Steel can be too slippery, wood can be too sweaty.
Having the stylus you want ask the seller to load it with your ideal tip. Tips can be changed. Now it's important what kind of ink you are going to use.
Yours will be bottled so somewhat thicker with more pigment if you use real black ink. This means you cannot use a steel point but need a golden or platinum point.
Now it's down to aesthetics where it's really your own imagination doing it's magic.
I ended up with a St. Dupont Set. Fountainpen white gold medium tip, Balpoint Gelwriter and Refillable Pencil (0,7- 2B).
All in exclusive black Bakelite painted with layers on layers of Chinese lacquer in a leather pouch.
After a year my rheumatic fever got the best of me and using this handsome set became impossible.
The famous Ackerman in The Hague cleaned it for me and now its for the grandchild I'll never get.
So anyone with a good offer can buy it now.
PM me when interested.
Is it a tutorial how to write unintelligibly like doctors? :wink:

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #30,276 of 149,738
I think I'm the only load on it, the nearest load (home) to me is >450 feet away. Thanks for your assessment.

I second that. Good to know, I have what looks like the same transformer and my house is the only house it serves. The closest house is more than 200 m away. We are also in a very rural area with only a few houses within 1km. I always assumed we had good clean electricity. We also have no other Wi-Fi signals than our own except on and off we see our nearest neighbor's wi-fi at very low signal strength. When we designed the house I specified 2 x 20 amp equipment only circuits for the HT room. We also have the perfect place for Sol. The house is sitting on a monolith with the footing attached to the solid stone. The house itself is built with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) which makes it very solid -- not a single drywall crack in 8 years. All of this should work wonders for installation of the soon to be released Sol. At the moment I have not a single vinyl disk nor tube so I guess it all goes to waste, Well not really, my Schiit sounds great.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #30,278 of 149,738
No idea. The pen was a gift 25 years ago. The nib is marked "4810" and 14K. I can't find any other numbers on it apart from the serial number.

JC
4810 is the height of Mont Blanc in metres, and it’s a 14 karat nib, which means it’s probably from the 70s or 80s (they have moved tp 18K, which IMHO is not as desirable, but YMMV...

Also, the model # should be engraved on the middle (wide) cap band.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #30,279 of 149,738
I'm mostly, clueless. I guess maybe Sol could be one of the items (actually, I'm not even sure it will be more than one announcement).

But ask me about coffee & fountain pens (& cats), thanks to this thread I'm already an expert!!!
Jason has said on another site (can't mention here) that Sol will be coming "later this year".

He also talked recently in an interview on Headphonia where he said:

"We have a product coming out shortly that includes both a new tube hybrid topology and a new type of output stage."
This is almost definitely one of the products being released. Apparently it will not super expensive either.

The other product? Who knows. Possibly the Gadget finally. But I am going bet it will not be another Analog 2 DAC considering the backlog of Yggy upgrades currently, and the absence of Mike. But I would be happily mistaken if it was an A2 Gumby :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #30,280 of 149,738
Just start with the cheap plastic ones. Buy 3. Small, medium en large tip. Now you can determine what your handwriting needs.
Having chosen the tip now you try different stylus whidt's. Parker can be too big, Lammy can be too thin etc.
After finding the good combination you choose material for the stylus that feels best. Steel can be too slippery, wood can be too sweaty.
Having the stylus you want ask the seller to load it with your ideal tip. Tips can be changed. Now it's important what kind of ink you are going to use.
Yours will be bottled so somewhat thicker with more pigment if you use real black ink. This means you cannot use a steel point but need a golden or platinum point.
Now it's down to aesthetics where it's really your own imagination doing it's magic.
I ended up with a St. Dupont Set. Fountainpen white gold medium tip, Balpoint Gelwriter and Refillable Pencil (0,7- 2B).
All in exclusive black Bakelite painted with layers on layers of Chinese lacquer in a leather pouch.
After a year my rheumatic fever got the best of me and using this handsome set became impossible.
The famous Ackerman in The Hague cleaned it for me and now its for the grandchild I'll never get.
So anyone with a good offer can buy it now.
PM me when interested.

Really beautiful pen set!!

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #30,282 of 149,738
Pretty soon we will discussing the best condom brand and model......sigh.

Being a music lover, I prefer the rhythm method.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #30,283 of 149,738
4810 is the height of Mont Blanc in metres, and it’s a 14 karat nib, which means it’s probably from the 70s or 80s (they have moved tp 18K, which IMHO is not as desirable, but YMMV...

Also, the model # should be engraved on the middle (wide) cap band.

In that case the model is "MONT BLANC MEISTERSTUCK"

JC

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #30,285 of 149,738
I am naively thinking for some reason the electostatic head phone amp will actually happen. It will probably be something unexpected plus something using the good doctor's low cost coded Schiit grown USB input....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back