Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #30,256 of 149,754
For our new house I specified a dedicated 20 amp service for my stereo with hospital grade receptacles. In the past, when I turn on the stereo the inrush current world occasionally pop the 15 amp breaker, hence the 20 amp service. The receptacles were driven by an electrician at work showing me a dissected receptacle from a similar situation where the spring loaded "push in" connector had been used and the internal arcing gradually ate away the contact until the contact resistance increased enough that the receptacle got hot enough to melt the insulation on the attached wires. So, with the hospital grade receptacles the electrician wrapped the wires around the screws which should provide a bit more contact area and hopefully prevent any arcing within the receptacle. This is probably overkill, but for $15, I thought it was worth it.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #30,257 of 149,754
My understanding is that hospital grade is designed for tighter tolerances (harder to insert and remove, so it can't easily fall out) which can help preclude any type of spark being created due to the presence of oxygen which could go booom.

And everyone would have a bad day.

JJ
They also specify 3 contacts per pin, for a total of 9 contacts per three prong outlet.

Presence of high concentrations of oxygen lower the flash temperature of any combustibles present. Chance of fire increases with high oxygen. It is also more difficult to put out.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #30,258 of 149,754
My understanding is that hospital grade is designed for tighter tolerances (harder to insert and remove, so it can't easily fall out) which can help preclude any type of spark being created due to the presence of oxygen which could go booom.

And everyone would have a bad day.

JJ
There you go.
A combination of the two.

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #30,259 of 149,754
Mont Blanc.jpg

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #30,260 of 149,754
I'm partial to 21 September, which do you like?
4/8/72 but an atom bomb, never mind a power surge, couldn't take the air guitar out of my hand on that monster. I adore the Psychedelic Daisies Jam into Sugar Mags. If you want to hear this grab the Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead version over the Europe '72 concert release. Keith is buried in the E '72 mixes.

For the purposes of the thread then I have to go with the one following your pick, 9/24/72. When I first heard it at a friend's apartment I described it as "mood music for the home".

obligatory Schitt: I am looking forward to the Gadget getting some of the old audience tapes back in tune.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #30,261 of 149,754
I'm not sure the KVA of my transformer (in my yard less than 100 feet from the house), but my house is the only one on it. I don't have any power quality related issues.
From the size and the "15", it is probably 15 to 20 KVA. The power companies commonly use 35 to 50% as the load factor, so while 240V@ 200A=48KVA, they count on the fact that you will draw this amount of energy infrequently, which is why the transformer is "small" compared to the load. If you are the only load on this transformer, consider yourself very lucky.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #30,262 of 149,754
There's a good reason Starbucks doesn't work in Italy.
They have one (Milano) and clients are tourists only.
Strictly no Italians.
What is the preferred Italian coffee brand?

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #30,264 of 149,754
4/8/72 but an atom bomb, never mind a power surge, couldn't take the air guitar out of my hand on that monster. I adore the Psychedelic Daisies Jam into Sugar Mags. If you want to hear this grab the Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead version over the Europe '72 concert release. Keith is buried in the E '72 mixes.

For the purposes of the thread then I have to go with the one following your pick, 9/24/72. When I first heard it at a friend's apartment I described it as "mood music for the home".

obligatory Schitt: I am looking forward to the Gadget getting some of the old audience tapes back in tune.

I have both official versions of 4.8.72, plus the circulating SBD source. 24 September is wonderful, especially now that we can hear it properly.

Schiit content: Loki Maxi will resurrect many a recording of the band @Baldr calls his favorite.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #30,265 of 149,754
Why would Schiit offer financing? There are these things called credit cards.

Simply because there would be truckloads of profit in it for them and it would be a convenience for some of their customers. I'm not sure how it works where you folks live but around here banks and lending institutions seem to be profitable businesses. Ever finance a car? The business office at the dealership is a profit centre. There's money in lending that could be reinvested into product research and development. As much as everybody loves their Schiit at the end of the day it's another consumer product purchased in the same way as any other consumer product. I would guess that presently the vast majority of purchases from Schitt are with a credit card which means all of the profit from lending went to the credit card company not Schitt. Schitt need not start their own finance company there are plenty of lenders willing to partner with them to share in the profit.

It's not something I would use, I've been debt free for almost 2 decades so my purchases are based on my ability to pay cash. Having said that I don't have top of the line taste so most things are never out of my reach with cash. I don't long for a Yggdrasil, I'm more than happy with Bitfrost level gear. I do understand people's desire to finance consumer products I've been in sales personally for a long time.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #30,266 of 149,754
...ask me about coffee & fountain pens (& cats), thanks to this thread I'm already an expert!!!

+1. And I would add that I'm also becoming a linguist. I now know how to say "black sheep" in spanish.

JC

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #30,267 of 149,754
What is the preferred Italian coffee brand?
Too many to name.
The best coffee is processed in and comes from Trieste.
Illy, Segafredo, Lavazza, Toia, Musetti, Castorino, Bravi and lots of others.
All those brands have their different blends for soft, medium, strong etc.
The possibilities are endless.
My preference for beans is: Lavazza Crema e Aroma in the morning and Lavazza Crema e Gusto after lunch or diner.

upload_2018-3-18_15-51-36.png
lavazza-crema-e-gusto-1kg.jpg

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #30,268 of 149,754
Simply because there would be truckloads of profit in it for them and it would be a convenience for some of their customers. I'm not sure how it works where you folks live but around here banks and lending institutions seem to be profitable businesses. Ever finance a car? The business office at the dealership is a profit centre. There's money in lending that could be reinvested into product research and development. As much as everybody loves their Schiit at the end of the day it's another consumer product purchased in the same way as any other consumer product. I would guess that presently the vast majority of purchases from Schitt are with a credit card which means all of the profit from lending went to the credit card company not Schitt. Schitt need not start their own finance company there are plenty of lenders willing to partner with them to share in the profit.

It's not something I would use, I've been debt free for almost 2 decades so my purchases are based on my ability to pay cash. Having said that I don't have top of the line taste so most things are never out of my reach with cash. I don't long for a Yggdrasil, I'm more than happy with Bitfrost level gear. I do understand people's desire to finance consumer products I've been in sales personally for a long time.
I really don't think they will ever take this side path to multiple problems that have nothing to do with audio.
I'm almost sure it will never come.

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #30,269 of 149,754
There are so many lovely cartridges out there but I don't have any idea about what specific differences one cartridge vs another could make. So I got an Ortofon Blue and said, "done!" (Actually, my wife got it as a b-day present and said "Whew!" She knows what this hobby is like.)

I have a Blue and it's amazing.

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #30,270 of 149,754
From the size and the "15", it is probably 15 to 20 KVA. The power companies commonly use 35 to 50% as the load factor, so while 240V@ 200A=48KVA, they count on the fact that you will draw this amount of energy infrequently, which is why the transformer is "small" compared to the load. If you are the only load on this transformer, consider yourself very lucky.
I think I'm the only load on it, the nearest load (home) to me is >450 feet away. Thanks for your assessment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back