Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #30,151 of 150,042
Aaaanndd....after this glitch with a dead-simple not-really-a-product, are you getting how hair-raising it can be to bring out an actual new product?

Consider that we're introducing two new products next week (which actually involve 3 new PCBs), one of which has new tech in it as well (plus the usual stuff that a not-a-coaster product has, like chassis)? Yeah, it's been kinda busy around here making sure everything really, really, really, really is OK.

You wanted to do some illustrative chapters on engineering. Well, this is engineering.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #30,152 of 150,042
Constanza was neutered after a year of orgies with her mate Amadeus.
They both got snipsnipped.
That was 15 years ago.
A snip in time saves 9....
Spay_Neuter-Banner-animated.gif

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #30,153 of 150,042
"The product's primary intended application was not affected by the unintended outcome noted in electrical testing."
"Any useful content beyond the primary objective is entirely subject to serendipity"

Not sure yet, though there were some, er, "sub optimal" layout decisions involved in making the thing symmetrical. I've addressed those in the new prototype. Even if 99.99% are used as coasters, I don't want to knowingly ship something that won't work.
"The usefulness of this device beyond the primary philosophical context is entirely the domain of the intrended constructor"

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #30,154 of 150,042
Aaaanndd....after this glitch with a dead-simple not-really-a-product, are you getting how hair-raising it can be to bring out an actual new product?

Consider that we're introducing two new products next week (which actually involve 3 new PCBs), one of which has new tech in it as well (plus the usual stuff that a not-a-coaster product has, like chassis)? Yeah, it's been kinda busy around here making sure everything really, really, really, really is OK.
You just have to be nice to Mr. Murphy so you can work him out without him being offended.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #30,156 of 150,042
Here is a Light Dims Silver on my Eitr cuts the light by about 80%.

after3.jpg

I would still rather have a red LED. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Yet. At this time. While it is true I could not care less, it is all so true that I could not care more. I sound like a Cheshire Toad...
I am enjoying my VN² in spite of the light of non-colour. The lack of redness does not detract from the music. Neither does it add to my enjoyment. Pity the latter point.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #30,157 of 150,042
Been a while since I've been back on...lots of posts to go through.
Had the case of upgraditis these past weeks.
Got a new cable for my hd6xxs. It's still single out (periapt) but man they don't seem as veiled anymore. Running off my magni 3 and also vali 2.
Finally got some new speakers.. Got the zu omens...they are nice lush, punchy and great for just music. Moved my tektons down to the theatre room, it's nice having full range deep bass for movies with only 2 speakers...it's a small space.

Very very curious to hear about schiits new turntable...cant wait for the reviews on this.
Buying audio stuff is Fun and exciting!!

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #30,158 of 150,042

Yet. At this time. While it is true I could not care less, it is all so true that I could not care more. I sound like a Cheshire Toad...
I am enjoying my VN² in spite of the light of non-colour. The lack of redness does not detract from the music. Neither does it add to my enjoyment. Pity the latter point.

I am going to pick up a Valhalla 2 as a present to me when I get my tax return. The first thing I will do is listen to it for a week just in case there are any infant mortality issues best resolved without a voided warranty. Next I will open it up and see if that LED is epoxied or RTV'ed or just press fit into that light pipe or if it is an integrated piece. It looks like a standard through hole T1 LED. Then I will either swap out the LED or paint the light pipe lens (not the side that press fits into the chassis) or something until I get a red LED. Then I will send you a picture. And if you like the solution and the aesthetics, you can send me yours. Because a VN^2 and a red LED would look bitchin'. I have a lot of silver Schiit, so that combo is not in the cards for me. Might have to increase the current limiting resistor a tad for red, but probably not as I recall Jason said they limit the current to a tiny fraction of what the LED can take.

Oh one more thing. Red LED's have a lower voltage drop than white so you might have to wait 90 minutes for the LED to go out.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #30,161 of 150,042
ORT,

I am going to pick up a Valhalla 2 as a present to me when I get my tax return. The first thing I will do is listen to it for a week just in case there are any infant mortality issues best resolved without a voided warranty. Next I will open it up and see if that LED is epoxied or RTV'ed or just press fit into that light pipe or if it is an integrated piece. It looks like a standard through hole T1 LED. Then I will either swap out the LED or paint the light pipe lens (not the side that press fits into the chassis) or something until I get a red LED. Then I will send you a picture. And if you like the solution and the aesthetics, you can send me yours. Because a VN^2 and a red LED would look bitchin'. I have a lot of silver Schiit, so that combo is not in the cards for me. Might have to increase the current limiting resistor a tad for red, but probably not as I recall Jason said they limit the current to a tiny fraction of what the LED can take.

Oh one more thing. Red LED's have a lower voltage drop than white so you might have to wait 90 minutes for the LED to go out.

Cool. :beerchug: I am thinking of getting a translucent red sticker. Primitive, huh? :L3000:

So far I am truly enjoying my VN² and eagerly await the new product intros next week(?) ! Today after work or at the latest tomorrow, I am picking up a new album by Rhiannon Giddens (lead singer for the Carolina Chocolate Drops).

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #30,162 of 150,042
Been a while since I've been back on...lots of posts to go through.
Had the case of upgraditis these past weeks.
Got a new cable for my hd6xxs. It's still single out (periapt) but man they don't seem as veiled anymore. Running off my magni 3 and also vali 2.
Finally got some new speakers.. Got the zu omens...they are nice lush, punchy and great for just music. Moved my tektons down to the theatre room, it's nice having full range deep bass for movies with only 2 speakers...it's a small space.

Very very curious to hear about schiits new turntable...cant wait for the reviews on this.
Buying audio stuff is Fun and exciting!!

I bought a balanced Periapt cable with a single ended adapter for my HD-650s. Nice cables. I'm not sure if they sound much better than stock, but theyre nice cables and they're cheap. Recommended.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #30,163 of 150,042

It's even removable.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #30,164 of 150,042
Cool. :beerchug: I am thinking of getting a translucent red sticker. Primitive, huh? :L3000:

So far I am truly enjoying my VN² and eagerly await the new product intros next week(?) ! Today after work or at the latest tomorrow, I am picking up a new album by Rhiannon Giddens (lead singer for the Carolina Chocolate Drops).

ORT,

Here is one of the methods I have used. It requires the following:

Clear plastic tape. Not the "invisible" kind.
Tweezers
Good pair of scissors
Red Sharpie fine point

Hop around the house and gather them up.

Color a little red dot on the clear tape, let it dry. What's tricky is the Sharpie ink is hard to get uniform as it disloves into itself but try a second layer and try to get it uniform.

Cut a little square around the red dot and position with tweezers.

It helps if the LED is flush or nearly so. Do not under any circumstances push the LED back through the hole into the inside of the case so it's out of place! Yikes. Don't do this. Some of them stick way out through the case and you can push them nearly flush with your toadish fingers, or toes.

If it's too bright still make a second one to stick on top of your first one.

Because yours is black (I assume they're powder coated) you probably want to use care with the finish so it stays uniform. This is a pretty harmless and invisible method. Just don't scratch the Schiit out of the nice black finish with your wife's tweezers!!:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back