Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #30,136 of 149,324
Anyone who has ever designed a product for production is a firm believer in Edsel Murphy's Laws and all of its corollaries. The longer I was in this business, the more of a believer I became!

Aaaanndd....after this glitch with a dead-simple not-really-a-product, are you getting how hair-raising it can be to bring out an actual new product?

Consider that we're introducing two new products next week (which actually involve 3 new PCBs), one of which has new tech in it as well (plus the usual stuff that a not-a-coaster product has, like chassis)? Yeah, it's been kinda busy around here making sure everything really, really, really, really is OK.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #30,137 of 149,324
Jason, are these new releases "Live from the Schiitr" video stream worthy? Or was that just too much of a hassle. The first certainly got a lot of views.

Thanks for helping keep this a fun pastime for us on this end!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #30,138 of 149,324
This chapter could be titled, "Why designing is never easy" or "The Misadventures of the Misdirected Electron" or "Oscillation: It's what's for dinner" or, perhaps more accurately, "This is what happens. Nearly all the time. It's why there are always revisions, and not always to improve things."

Thanks for making us part of your design saga, and I hope this is not taking you too far away from revenue-generating activities. :)

Have you read The Soul of a New Machine? It's a non-fiction book about a team of engineers designing the hardware of a new (in the late 70s) computer. It won a Pulitzer. There's a chapter called, "The Case of the Missing NAND Gate" and starts with a vivid description of an engineer walking down a hallway with a board prototype with three wires sticking up with little flags of tape on the wires, and the reaction of their boss.

If you're any kind of engineer, you'll appreciate it.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #30,139 of 149,324
Jason, are these new releases "Live from the Schiitr" video stream worthy? Or was that just too much of a hassle. The first certainly got a lot of views.

Thanks for helping keep this a fun pastime for us on this end!

I expect we'll be doing one for this intro.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #30,140 of 149,324
...{snip}...buggered...{snip}...
Ah, an older reference. Once I found out what that was, I stopped carelessly using that term (and made me realize my mum was a foul-mouthed parent). Nice.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #30,141 of 149,324
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #30,142 of 149,324
I expect we'll be doing one for this intro.
That would be kool if it works out.

Quite frankly, I gotta tell you, the new analog boards in Yggy deserved that kind of intro all on their own! I understand why you couldn't, but they are flat out Schiitr Show worthy! Kudos to all involved working on those boards. It deserves a "The wife can hear it easy award".:)

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #30,143 of 149,324
That would be kool if it works out.

Quite frankly, I gotta tell you, the new analog boards in Yggy deserved that kind of intro all on their own! I understand why you couldn't, but they are flat out Schiitr Show worthy! Kudos to all involved working on those boards. It deserves a "The wife can hear it easy award".:)

We need a trophy for that award! My wife has great ears and really likes a good sound system so we are both lucky, i believe.

Ed

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #30,146 of 149,324
1CFA769A-5363-4CC8-B52A-A51576670973.jpeg

I’m no engineer, but I do fancy building one of these coaster/amps. If it doesn’t work, I can always stand some beer on it!

This is Chloe. She is an audiophile.

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #30,148 of 149,324
Aaaanndd....after this glitch with a dead-simple not-really-a-product, are you getting how hair-raising it can be to bring out an actual new product?

Consider that we're introducing two new products next week (which actually involve 3 new PCBs), one of which has new tech in it as well (plus the usual stuff that a not-a-coaster product has, like chassis)? Yeah, it's been kinda busy around here making sure everything really, really, really, really is OK.
Welcome to reality engineering 101.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #30,149 of 149,324
It's always preferable to get boned on the bench than by the customer!
Somehow this instantly reminded me of the sayings of an uncle I used to have...... :)please do not consult Mike's gorilla on the subject!

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #30,150 of 149,324

New stuff! Sounds like fun and this is supposed to be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back