Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #29,702 of 151,047
Hey all, quick update.

1. It looks like you'll see a new chapter next week (more on the coaster amp). Then the next chapter will be an intermission—new product time. I hope. Just waiting for one board.
2. You're gonna see major progress on out-of-stock situations here during the rest of this week. We're getting pretty much everything back in stock. Except Jotunheim, which might take another week. Also, thanks to some new systems and better planning, we'll have a shot at staying in stock for a while.
3. New production systems, new vendors, and better visibility of what we're short of and why is one of the things I've been working on (with Alex). We're still production-limited to the point where our products will be scarce on Amazon. But it's either feed Amazon or feed distributors, and the distributors have been more than patient. We're working on increasing overall production so we can have all channels open later this year.
4. New testing procedures, new review requirements, and new documentation is the other thing I've been working on. We've grown to the point where we need to review what we're doing and change where appropriate. This isn't surprising when systems grow organically. It was a bit of a shock to me that we had 31 different firmwares, with three different programming systems, to manage across our product line (and a hair-raising experience when we found that one of the systems didn't have the latest firmware...thankfully unused, but we dodged a bullet.) It was also a wake-up call to review what we were planning to do and consolidate some firmware. And some of the testing we were doing was highly inefficient (checking all products for iOS compatibility, when that can be a spot check, for example, or 100% listen-testing of Manis, rather than using an Avermetrics and inverse RIAA for the heavy lifting), and some needed to be increased (16-bit parallel-input DACs are now 100% checked on Avermetrics, since parallel-input DACs don't fail dead if they drop the input line, but might fail funny, because they just lost 1 input line out of 16.)
5. Getting ready for additional production streamlining like light pipes and push-on knobs on the larger products (don't panic, we're not talking shell knobs, we're talking heavy machined aluminum knobs, now with an injection-molded insert,) as well as some metal tweaks to address some long-standing pain points.

3-5 might sound kinda boring, but I'm actually kinda having fun doing it...and it's feeding back to new products (hence the one I mentioned that I wanted to do a redesign on to make it way, way better (more reliable, easier to assemble, better fit, more capable...and less expensive--win-win all the way around).

Thanks again for reading!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #29,703 of 151,047
Great news for all age demographics!:gs1000smile:

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #29,704 of 151,047
Hmmm... A potentially untapped market.

Is it too late to request a Mike Moffat designed digital coffee brewing system to be added to the Schiit product roadmap? Perhaps with a patented multi-bean Hyper-Caffeine system, GEN 5 USB, linear PSU, Microprocessor controlled brewing and Circlotron aroma enhancement system.

I think this could be a hit given the interest in high-end coffee here.

I think @Baldr would agree that coffee is best kept analog, not digital.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #29,706 of 151,047
Im very interested in all this new stuff and how I find out about the redacted stuff, but Im assuming the chances get better as the proximity to california shrinks.

Also you have inspired me to up my coffee game again..I need a decent grinder..but Im not maying 200 bucks for one.

also when I brew coffee at home I get a sourish flavor to it than I've never gotten with coffee from a coffee shop..I've spent countless hours, money and have tried numerous different brewing methods to avoid it and I can't figure it out. Its obviously something to do with either the amount of coffee I use or the grind size...

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #29,707 of 151,047
also when I brew coffee at home I get a sourish flavor to it than I've never gotten with coffee from a coffee shop..I've spent countless hours, money and have tried numerous different brewing methods to avoid it and I can't figure it out. Its obviously something to do with either the amount of coffee I use or the grind size...
You're grinding too fast so the coffee burns, your appareil is dirty or the water temperature is to high.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #29,708 of 151,047
You're grinding too fast so the coffee burns, your appareil is dirty or the water temperature is to high.

Could be the water itself. Where does it come from? Is it chlorinated? Sour sounds like low pH with chloride present. What is the pH? Hardness? Temperature? Can make a big difference.

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #29,711 of 151,047
MP3 = Amazon downloads
Did a quick check on Wikipedia. Isn’t there a new version that’s slightly less “bad”? Something called MPEG-2 audio layer III ...?...
You should only listen to FLAC :)
Do you think FLAC will become the de facto standard in future music sales? Or am I going to live my 40-50s with multiple codecs. I’m still messing around with Apple Lossless... which apparently is different from AAC... which is different from *.FLAC ... *.ack ... *.oog ... *.agg ... *.arf ... *.cat ... christ, I sound like I’m making these codecs up.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #29,712 of 151,047
Im very interested in all this new stuff and how I find out about the redacted stuff, but Im assuming the chances get better as the proximity to california shrinks.

Also you have inspired me to up my coffee game again..I need a decent grinder..but Im not maying 200 bucks for one.

Or, perhaps, your water.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #29,715 of 151,047
Can we please stop talking about coffee? It was light and refreshing banter like 7 pages ago. K thx.

We're talking about coffee because there's nothing left to talk about until the new product announcements and/or next chapter. All present Schiit products work and/or we have already discussed their idiosyncrasies here and elsewhere. They have fixed their repair system. They are overhauling production so there are no more delays (or very few). They have in short killed our Schiit conversation to the extent that all we can do is speculate about the <redacted>.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back