Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #29,116 of 149,691
abbie-normal-1.jpg
May not be quirky enough for this thread. Seems too normal to me.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #29,119 of 149,691
Actually my Lyr has orange LED's on the main board. I believe Schiit placed them there not for cosmetics but to draw a minute amount power.

Not sure exactly what uses them engineering wise, that would be a question for @Jason Stoddard...

:)
LED cathode biasing is a common design technique. Hope the Lyr and Vali I have functional and not gewgaw leds.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #29,123 of 149,691
Has anyone tried a single LISST in the vali 2?
I have not found a comment anywhere. I am strongly considering the magni 3, and I already own the vali 2.
What about the best of both world's??
$50 vs $99....
I think @Jason Stoddard said in this thread that the LISST would work on vali 2, bu that magni would be a better option.
If you need to be sure they work, you should contact tech@schiit.com.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #29,125 of 149,691
Got my first Schiit product yesterday. It`s a Schiit Wyrd. I have to say I am impressed with the performance and would recommend it to anyone, who have USB-powered DAC like my Meridian. Not only it decreased the amount of noise and make everything more transparent, but with better PSU my DAC have much better "dynamics". I don`t know would it be fair to say "night and day difference", but for my ear the improvement is obvious and easy to hear.

LEDs are really too bright. It`s very annoying for tabletop device. I hope those light pipes from previous chapter would fix this problem for future products. For now I will try to apply some paint or sticker on it.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #29,126 of 149,691
Got my first Schiit product yesterday. It`s a Schiit Wyrd. I have to say I am impressed with the performance and would recommend it to anyone, who have USB-powered DAC like my Meridian. Not only it decreased the amount of noise and make everything more transparent, but with better PSU my DAC have much better "dynamics". I don`t know would it be fair to say "night and day difference", but for my ear the improvement is obvious and easy to hear.

LEDs are really too bright. It`s very annoying for tabletop device. I hope those light pipes from previous chapter would fix this problem for future products. For now I will try to apply some paint or sticker on it.

Try these;

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Si...=1518274016&sr=8-5&keywords=light+dims+silver

They are very close in color to the aluminum Shiit. Not so much the steel. But I find them better looking than punched paper tape that some folks use.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #29,127 of 149,691
Has anyone tried a single LISST in the vali 2?
I have not found a comment anywhere. I am strongly considering the magni 3, and I already own the vali 2.
What about the best of both world's??
$50 vs $99....
I think best of both worlds is getting a magni 3 to go with your Vali 2. Why screw up a perfectly magic little tube hybrid amp?

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #29,128 of 149,691
Some more on the Freya with LISST devices (there might be a better place to post about this, sorry); It is hard to compare Passive or J-FET mode directly to the LISST "tube" mode because of volume difference and my lack of confidence that I am matching just right but despite my confusion (I am sure it must be a volume matching issue) using the "tube" mode with LISST devices the bass sounds more authoritative. Placebo? Maybe. My bias is that they should sound the same though. Artificial? Not sure, I have not measured it and I don't know if I will. It does sound pleasant though.

Setup: Mac Pro (AAC files) --> Yggy using USB (Gen3) --> Freya (using short XLR cables from Monoprice) --> Emotiva RPA-1 Amp (using short XLR cables from Monoprice) --> Quad ESL 2905 Speakers

I will do more testing later using different speakers.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #29,129 of 149,691
Some more on the Freya with LISST devices (there might be a better place to post about this, sorry); It is hard to compare Passive or J-FET mode directly to the LISST "tube" mode because of volume difference and my lack of confidence that I am matching just right but despite my confusion (I am sure it must be a volume matching issue) using the "tube" mode with LISST devices the bass sounds more authoritative. Placebo? Maybe. My bias is that they should sound the same though. Artificial? Not sure, I have not measured it and I don't know if I will. It does sound pleasant though.

Setup: Mac Pro (AAC files) --> Yggy using USB (Gen3) --> Freya (using short XLR cables from Monoprice) --> Emotiva RPA-1 Amp (using short XLR cables from Monoprice) --> Quad ESL 2905 Speakers

I will do more testing later using different speakers.

In all likelihood it is the volume difference. Most of us have a loudness bias. When critically comparing matched SPL levels are very important.

I use this;

https://www.amazon.com/Decibel-Mete...UTF8&qid=1518290933&sr=8-5&keywords=spl+meter

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #29,130 of 149,691

Users who are viewing this thread

Back