Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #29,101 of 148,975
I'm still not understanding the benefits of having a led inside a sealed metal can (apart from bias, of course). Am I missing something here?

JC

We (humans) are said to have five senses - Taste, Touch, Smell, Hearing and Sight. Just as there are no genuine audible benefits to frAudi foo-foo 'upgrades" (but oh lawdy how dey doo claims 'em!) such as wire, fuses, M&Ms, green marker pens, TICE clocks and more, so too is there NOTHING to be audibly gained by the absolutely toadish foo-foo of some thing totally and unabashedly visual as LED lighting for a LIIST "tube".

Like the aforementioned sound "upgrades", LED lighting simulating the glow of REAL tubes is there for visual satisfaction. If you get right down to it, why would any one buy a TUBE amp and then make it a SOLID STATE amp? I would miss the soft glow of the tubes so I proffered a 7% "solution" to an addiction of the admittedly visual kind, i.e., LEDs to make the soul glow of a tube amp. In doing so I am demonstrating the dislike of those I call frAudiophiles for any thing not related toward their OCD. They will fartily (AHAH! Take that, John Asskissin' and Co.) claim that M&Ms care fully placed (using military grade strategery!) atop speakers "change" or "enhance" the sound. They claim that a fuse (which is not polarized but their opinions certainly are) will change the sound of the music.

They claim that by taking a "special" green marker and using it to seal in the "transient" (i.e., home less, i.e. residentially challenged) light of the CD laser they change the sound out put of a digital device (CD players). They claim that what amounts to wire clad in a really cool package some times costing thousands of dollars (and more) per meter drastically changes the sound of their system. That last one is totally visual and I get the visual part but I would NEVER say that a freakin' LED makes any thing "sound" different, let alone "better". My OCD frAudiophile friend put H.O. train trestles under his expensive speaker wires to hold them off the floor in order to prevent sound from being gravitationally misdirected away from his transducers. I once wore an "Engineer Fred" cap over to his place and politely asked if I could play with the trains. He did not laugh but who cares? I did.

I am also showing off my 6th sense, not ESP all though I am kinda sorta paying homage to the 1972 TV series starring Gary Collins, but that rarest of senses among the OCD set that flocks to audio, "humor". So yeah, there's zero audio benefit to making some thing visually pleasing. But again, why change from tube to SS when you bought a tube amp? A Vali of The Toad would never have a LIIST put in it (if, that is, it were ever made by Schiit!). I do not "roll" tubes because they break too easily. I might change them out if I found one that looked more bitchin' but that is not a frAudiophilian trait. It is more an amphibian idiotsyncrasy...Call it "toadish". Why? Because what I do makes me happy. But I would never claim that it would improve the sound of Schiit. Or any thing else by any body else but since this thread is about Schiit I semi-cleverly used their name in a play on words.

Thus endeth the ramblin' of a fool for now...

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #29,103 of 148,975
I hear ya ort but doesn't the fact peoples are spending so much on cables including power cables mean there is a difference? I don't see how because if it did, why would not my computer operate more accurately with better cables? Or rather misfunction with the standard cables? Maybe a prime number competition winner goes to the best cable? I use the 20$ cable because schitt brand and 6" which is stack size but other than than that ... amazon basic and mono price for me but I am a

MORON

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #29,104 of 148,975
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #29,105 of 148,975
For those audiophiles who have already bought the best cables, USB filters, power filters, tubes, anti-vibration feet, and knobs, our state power company is introducing:

Audio Main Power ("AMP").

Here is a bit from their service announcement...

"True audiophiles understand the relationship between ultra--clean power and ultra-clean sound. True audiophiles are the ones that build a separate fuse box for their audio equipment, use ultra-heavy coaxially-shielded conductors, and move their audio setup to be within ten feet of their junction box (usually in their basement).

"Now, for True Audiophiles, Amalgamated Consolidated Power provides ultrapure Audio Main Power (or AMP).

"Skeptics might ask, 'How is AMP any different than standard main power that comes to my house from my coal-, gas-, nuclear-. or solar-powered generating plant?'

"But True Audiophiles will answer: 'AMP is generated by the labor of humans, specifically by bicycle-driven power generating armatures, pedaled by expired Reviewers of Audiophile Equipment. They wear headphones as they pedal, hence obtaining instant feedback on the power and purity of their particular generation efforts. Power is transmitted via one-foot-thick solid shielded conductor rods, converting to standard wire only at the boundary of the subscriber's residence.'

"Like Fair Trade Coffee, AMP respects the generation and transmission of the power used for pleasing the senses.

"Demonstrate your commitment to top quality audio by signing up NOW! We will place a (completely useless) speaker upon your roof as a symbol to notify your neighbors of your audio sophistication."

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #29,106 of 148,975
Actually my Lyr has orange LED's on the main board. I believe Schiit placed them there not for cosmetics but to draw a minute amount power.

Not sure exactly what uses them engineering wise, that would be a question for @Jason Stoddard...

:)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #29,108 of 148,975
The Sixth Sense...

thWTNDP352.jpg

:L3000:

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #29,110 of 148,975
For those audiophiles who have already bought the best cables, USB filters, power filters, tubes, anti-vibration feet, and knobs, our state power company is introducing:

Audio Main Power ("AMP").

Here is a bit from their service announcement...

"True audiophiles understand the relationship between ultra--clean power and ultra-clean sound. True audiophiles are the ones that build a separate fuse box for their audio equipment, use ultra-heavy coaxially-shielded conductors, and move their audio setup to be within ten feet of their junction box (usually in their basement).

"Now, for True Audiophiles, Amalgamated Consolidated Power provides ultrapure Audio Main Power (or AMP).

"Skeptics might ask, 'How is AMP any different than standard main power that comes to my house from my coal-, gas-, nuclear-. or solar-powered generating plant?'

"But True Audiophiles will answer: 'AMP is generated by the labor of humans, specifically by bicycle-driven power generating armatures, pedaled by expired Reviewers of Audiophile Equipment. They wear headphones as they pedal, hence obtaining instant feedback on the power and purity of their particular generation efforts. Power is transmitted via one-foot-thick solid shielded conductor rods, converting to standard wire only at the boundary of the subscriber's residence.'

"Like Fair Trade Coffee, AMP respects the generation and transmission of the power used for pleasing the senses.

"Demonstrate your commitment to top quality audio by signing up NOW! We will place a (completely useless) speaker upon your roof as a symbol to notify your neighbors of your audio sophistication."

LMAO reading this. It fits a lot of folks

Ed

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #29,112 of 148,975
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it...
But.... he's right.
We define some 20 of them.
Damn.

Yeah, but more often than not, "common sense" ain't among 'em. So rare, it is a super power. Especially for those with a penchant for audio stuff, LOL! Or any thing really. Mom used to say regarding my chasing the female of my species, ..."no matter how big you may think it is, there's no room for a brain in there so don't think with that thing!"

I barely qualify as sentient.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #29,113 of 148,975
Yeah, but more often than not, "common sense" ain't among 'em. So rare, it is a super power. Especially for those with a penchant for audio stuff, LOL! Or any thing really. Mom used to say regarding my chasing the female of my species, ..."no matter how big you may think it is, there's no room for a brain in there so don't think with that thing!"

I barely qualify as sentient.

I kind of doubt that Toad, keep up the good fight.

Ed

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #29,115 of 148,975
Has anyone tried a single LISST in the vali 2?
I have not found a comment anywhere. I am strongly considering the magni 3, and I already own the vali 2.
What about the best of both world's??
$50 vs $99....

Probably because if you want a solid state amp Magni 3 is a better option than using LISST in a Vali 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back