Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #27,676 of 150,081
This is so funny :laughing:

"In a perfect, algorithmic, Mr. Spock-driven world, I would have tweaked an eyebrow and said, “Curious,” then investigated this incident in a dispassionate manner."

"“What do you want me to do?” Alex asked me, his eyes dark and murderous."

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #27,677 of 150,081
I would expect for the new amp:

Stereo 25 Watts into 8 Ohms, 50 Watts into 4 Ohms, 100 Watts into 2 Ohms.
Mono 50 Watts into 16 Ohms, 100 Watts into 8 Ohms, 200 Watts into 4 Ohms.

All pure Class A as per Jason’s definition of class A.
Example of a monoblock that gives 200 Watts pure class A into 4 Ohms

1620938_426092117528771_7730045252755268099_n-2.jpg

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #27,679 of 150,081
No idea how relevant they are but that sure is ugly!

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #27,681 of 150,081
I've seen worse, but yeah... monoblocks overall tend to be hideous and this is not the exception :D

I know what you mean, a lot of monoblocks are pretty awful. I have to admit though I quite like the understated design of the Vidar, more curvy and the heat syncs are fairly unobtrusive. Still trying to work out how I can fit a pair into my system with a Freya but I think it isn't to be due to space limits. I only just fit my Rotel RA-1570 as it is and each Vidar is almost the same size as that...

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #27,683 of 150,081
Everything except the price seems like a great fit, even brand recognition (he currently has an Arcam CD player). Realized my original post left out some detail; crossing the $1K barrier will be a challenge, getting beyond $1500 isn't likely to happen. In my "audio video divorce" scenario I was thinking I could just sell the Saga+Vidar+tuner combination. The $3600 MSRP for the SR250 is 2.5x beyond the best I could hope for, and I gather this is a new enough product that I'm unlikely to find used units?

Do you know if Arcam gets good marks for music listening on older gear? After seeing your reply I looked and noticed used Arcam AVR250/280/750 models out there. To my father-in-law's credit, he did a great job accumulating good used gear during his working career. Any number of his clients were building Very Expensive Houses and upgrading to Audio Jewelry as part of the process, he bought their used gear. So he isn't afraid of used equipment.

Thanks!
They are always on the top of the list in the UK Hi-Fi magazine polls

I've seen worse, but yeah... monoblocks overall tend to be hideous and this is not the exception :D
LOVE the look.........:L3000:

I know what you mean, a lot of monoblocks are pretty awful. I have to admit though I quite like the understated design of the Vidar, more curvy and the heat syncs are fairly unobtrusive. Still trying to work out how I can fit a pair into my system with a Freya but I think it isn't to be due to space limits. I only just fit my Rotel RA-1570 as it is and each Vidar is almost the same size as that...
Two posters who need ocular and aesthetic enhancements.........:ksc75smile:

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #27,685 of 150,081
Hey, my Lasik surgery went extremely well, I ended with a 20/20 vision.

Aaaand, when it comes to old or vintage design, just give me anything by Dieter Rams and I'll be a happy man...

Ohhhh the Braun design: from toasters to shavers to hifi equipment: just miraculous! Good old days of designs!

iZYWAEO.png

4130910903_20f7563b75_b.jpg

:D :D :D[/QU

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #27,686 of 150,081
Aaaand, when it comes to old or vintage design, just give me anything by Dieter Rams and I'll be a happy man...
I too love modernist aesthetics, but how do they sound? I'd rather have any Schiit component with its focus on the best sound for the price than MoMA-worthy pieces where the expensive parts are all for the eyes :wink:

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #27,688 of 150,081
I remember that during my college days I salivated looking at every Mark Levinson ad, suddenly I just forgot about them. Weird.

I'm wondering how relevant is the brand these days in the Hi-Fi market.
Mark Levinson became part of Harmon International many years ago, and last year Harmon was purchased by Samsung. ML still exists, but they are now the high-end of the Samsung behemoth. (By the way, those of you looking for a whiz-bang all-in-one digital source for your network, for Internet streaming, playing CD, etc. should check out their model 519. And only $17K US!)

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #27,689 of 150,081
I too love modernist aesthetics, but how do they sound? I'd rather have any Schiit component with its focus on the best sound for the price than MoMA-worthy pieces where the expensive parts are all for the eyes :wink:

Oh I fully agree with you. I was just giving two examples of vintage design that I love (as a comparison to those typical ugly monoblocks). Also, I have to say I'm happy with Schiit designs, I'm a huge fan of that minimalist approach (I like Vidar's look too, btw).

Mark Levinson became part of Harmon International many years ago, and last year Harmon was purchased by Samsung. ML still exists, but they are now the high-end of the Samsung behemoth. (By the way, those of you looking for a whiz-bang all-in-one digital source for your network, for Internet streaming, playing CD, etc. should check out their model 519. And only $17K US!)

Daaaamn, I didn't know that. So, it's kinda possible that ML ends having the same fate as Nakamichi which once was pretty good yet after it was purchased by some chinese corporation, ended manufacturing crappy TV sets?

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #27,690 of 150,081
(By the way, those of you looking for a whiz-bang all-in-one digital source for your network, for Internet streaming, playing CD, etc. should check out their model 519. And only $17K US!)
:astonished::astonished::astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back