Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #27,709 of 150,897
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #27,710 of 150,897
I have some relatively inefficient speakers that I believe would benefit from using two Vidar's. However I only have single ended outputs on my preamp. I understand that a transformer can do the SE to balanced conversion. While I understand the principles involved, I am not savvy enough to know what to order. Could someone please help me by making a recommendation for an affordable SE to balanced transformer?
To get the full benefit of balanced input to Vidar, it isn't just a matter of converting an SE signal to balanced. The level of the signal also matters. A passive converter will output a balanced signal roughly half the level (assuming no signal loss) compared to what a balanced preamp will produce. Better to use Vidar as it was designed to work instead of compromising with converters. These converters are usually only used when absolutely necessary, e.g. a DJ or studio has a mixture of professional and consumer electronics and needs to connect the boxes to each other.

BTW, Jason has long said that Vidar has lots of power and recommends starting with a single Vidar. If your speakers are only "relatively" inefficient, a single Vidar should be working very well. Are you finding it to be inadequate?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #27,711 of 150,897
BTW Mark Levinson announced support for MQA in Munich including the 519

Well, that's it, I'll cancel my ML N°519 order and instead I'll get a Raspberry Pi variant -_-

I always found it an odd mix that they make ATVs, jet skis, motorcycles, boats, and musical instruments.

Haha, yeah... it's like they said "let's manufacture everything, eventually... we'll become very good at making something!!!! :D"

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #27,712 of 150,897
Haha, yeah... it's like they said "let's manufacture everything, eventually... we'll become very good at making something!!!! :D"
Much like Samsung, or Phillips, or Sony, or GE, or...

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #27,713 of 150,897
Much like Samsung, or Phillips, or Sony, or GE, or...

Those two don't belong in that list, cause while very vast, their "historical catalog" is pretty much centered around electronics only, i.e. there is no Sony acoustic guitars or Phillips motorbikes.

Yamaha really went crazy when it comes to cover as much as possible in the industry (overall very successfully IMO).

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #27,714 of 150,897
Those two don't belong in that list, cause while very vast, their "historical catalog" is pretty much centered around electronics only, i.e. there is no Sony acoustic guitars or Phillips motorbikes.

Yamaha really went crazy when it comes to cover as much as possible in the industry (overall very successfully IMO).

YAMAHA does not just make everything though. They are mostly related/deriving.
And what’s important is, YAMAHA has YAMAHA beauty on its base throughout all their products (sound and design wise).

<Sound/Electronics>
Organ (from repairing organs as Mr. Yamaha’s business)
—> Piano (same keyboard instrument)
—> Electric organ (deriving from traditional organ)
—> Wind instruments (bought company Nikkan to broaden range of instruments)
—> IC (for eletronical organs)
—> Audio (using skills for electric organs and IC for electronic organs)
—> Routers (using ICs, after fail in PC business)
—> Vocaloids (using background of sound producing)

<Motorcycle/Recreation>
—> Motorcycle (using Piano frame casting/machining skill for engines, etc)
—> Boats (using knowledge for making engines for motorcycles)
—> Bathtub (using FRP skill for boats)
—> Swimming pool (using FRP skill for boats and bathtubs. Yeah, over 90% of Japanese school swimming pools are YAMAHAs)

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #27,716 of 150,897
147BE0F7-7791-43C6-82C6-23EC8BA42B8B.jpeg
And Yamaha hand built the engines for the original Ford Taurus SHO. All aluminum V6, dual OHC, tuned intake runners -all SOTA in 1989. Awesome execution. Had one back in the day. Could shift into 5th at 135mph.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #27,717 of 150,897
And Yamaha hand built the engines for the original Ford Taurus SHO. All aluminum V6, dual OHC, tuned intake runners -all SOTA in 1989. Awesome execution. Had one back in the day. Could shift into 5th at 135mph.

Oh really? I didn't know that.

And TOTL Toyota and Lexus engines as well.
Engines for TOYOTA 2000GT and LEXUS LFA, RCF are developed and made by YAMAHA:relaxed:

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #27,719 of 150,897
If we're talking about engines. Here's the engine to a car that I've had the great pleasure to be a passenger in while it's been driven three times now in my life . Can anyone guess what car?.

Engine

wpt2wmn9lvzd9o3d0ine.jpg

Engine Bay

mclaren-gold-engine-bay.jpg

Gotta be a McLaren F1 with that gold heat reflector.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #27,720 of 150,897
Blücher!
Napoleon...... :ksc75smile:

I'm old enough to remember Suzuki also making guitars.
I have to admit to having bought an unspecified amount of Yamaha audio gear and motorcycles.
I have not heard a piece of Yamaha audio gear that I haven't liked. Ditto, the motorbicycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back