Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #27,421 of 150,319
New products that I would buy
1) A power conditioner for under $1000; that works to clean up the Schitty electrical supply I have. I can tell a major difference in sound quality late at night or very early in the morning. It is much better at those hours.
2) A good turntable under $1000.
3) A balanced, 2 channel, class A amp under $1000.
4) A Balanced Loki.
5) The Gadgit (As long as it works between computer usb and Gumby Gen 5.)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #27,423 of 150,319
The primary reason I haven't yet bought a Loki comes down to my inability to properly understand what needs to be corrected in my room. ... there's a level of knowledge I don't have to fully leverage what the Loki can offer.

Keep It Simple, Schiithead :)

The Loki is intended to correct OBVIOUS imbalances in room acoustics, a specific recording's tonal balance, and not least your own preference in balancing the music you listen to for your own listening pleasure. It is not there to make scientific, measurably accurate audiophiliac corrections to within +/- 0.01 db.

That's not what this Schiit is for.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #27,424 of 150,319
Pietro,
To save me from having to go back and read through the treads; How do you like your power conditioner? What brand and model did you get?
THanks

I use the 2000 Watt 220-240 Volts Voltage Stabilizer/Line Conditioner VS-2420
See here: https://acupwr.com/collections/volt...s-voltage-stabilizer-line-conditioner-vs-2420
And the PS Audio Power Plant Premier which is replaced bij the P5 Power plant
http://www.psaudio.com/products/p5-power-plant/
My post on this:
Yes I am.
It's two different purposes in my system.
The AcuPwr cleans out the whole stack and removes all murk from the AC line.
On it I now can see when the power falls back, which it does more often than I knew.
The PS services only my Ragnarok, Freya, Yggdrasil and Cambridge Audio source on top of that.
It gives more detail and "space" but it's a lot of money for a very small step.
And don't forget.. it's already a dedicated line. (in an old neighborhood alas)
For more info you can PM me.
We don't want to bother the rest with my thoughts.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #27,425 of 150,319
Getting rid of the only pure and honest Class A amp in the line-up? The amp that started it all? Hmm.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #27,427 of 150,319
Though your chapter made sense from a business perspective, the what we did wrong chapter from a consumer perspective would have been a lot shorter.
"What we did wrong:
1. Whoops we forgot to finish adding remotes to all of our products. *Cough*yggieplease!*Cough*
2. And nothing else! We really were fantastic!
End."

The Yggy is gonna be used in two channel setups at a higher rate than the smaller cheaper units. To expect it to be used in headphone setups is for a target audience that would spend 2 grand on a dac, maybe a grand or two on a preamp/amp and a grand or two on headphones. That comes to a 4-5 grand headphone setup. Not that many people in that market.

However a 4-6 grand two channel setup? Much more realistic. This is what's stopping me from using it in a living room setup. A flagship multi-input dac needs a remote!

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #27,429 of 150,319
All outputs are "live" all the time and I've driven 3 different amps simultaneously without issue while playing headphone and amp roulette.
So it must be to select inputs on the fly with multiple sources (cd, server, pc, streamer) all running at the same time?

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #27,430 of 150,319
All outputs are "live" all the time and I've driven 3 different amps simultaneously without issue while playing headphone and amp roulette.
So it must be to select inputs on the fly with multiple sources (cd, server, pc, streamer) all running at the same time?
Ah, I could see that. Me, rather than any remote (and all the RF noise associated with them) I'd prefer discrete pushbuttons to select input rather than one button that sequences through them all. As long as we're making imaginary design changes, I'd put a "LEDs OFF" switch on the back too. :)

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #27,431 of 150,319
Ah, I could see that. Me, rather than any remote (and all the RF noise associated with them) I'd prefer discrete pushbuttons to select input rather than one button that sequences through them all. As long as we're making imaginary design changes, I'd put a "LEDs OFF" switch on the back too. :)
Yes. Having to cycle through feels like a cost saving measure.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #27,432 of 150,319
@Jason Stoddard @Baldr @Alex Martin

From my perspective, I would suggest the following for the future to come:

1) DAC line:
  • Kill all DS variants except Modi. Focus on bringing the best from current Modi DS (or even Bifrost DS) variants together into the future version of Modi DS that would cost 99USD. (Drop an interface or make some other minor sacrifices to make the price happen.) This will be your extreme/full-on value product, clearly differing from the higher MB-only offerings that would be a bit more about actual Schiit design philosophy, about bringing something unique and unforseen to the market.
Question: Does the Bimby sound better than Gungnir DS? Does Momby sound better than Bifrost DS?

I think the dacs are well spread -- as are the amps -- unless sales and actual value to the customer says otherwise.

Until you become tempted to cut corners on quality or innovation, the product line is what it is. Hire some cheap help.

Need an intern to dust off the Yggy in the showroom?

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #27,434 of 150,319

I like discreet buttons, or at least make the numbers (symbols too) easier to identify on all Schiit gear in dim lighting. I have no issue with the power on LED's.
Listening to music is an illusion like experience for me, nothing takes me out of it like turning on 20,000 lumens to see WTH's what when I want to switch something, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back