Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #27,452 of 151,180
Great chapter Jason. I really appreciate the transparency that is really unusual to communicate to customers and fans. It solidifies my decision to have only Schiit in my setup. I do look forward to the 2-channel guide.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #27,453 of 151,180
Excellent chapter Jason. Always educational and entertaining. Appreciate all the work you put into this.

Know the Magni 3 has been a great success. That is good. Simplifying the line up worked well. Human nature wants to do more of the same. Please be careful. Simplifying the line may or may not work the same next time.

I don't think adding a turntable, EQ, or Jil makes the line up more complicated to the average person. They can figure out what the purpose of these units are and there are no direct competitors in your line.

Where it gets complicwted is the dacs and headphone amps. The Magni 3 and the other headphone amps do the same thing. Now people have to delve into different amplifier topologies. Here is where the complexity creeps in. The man off the street may have a feel for tubes vs transistors. But, Pivot Point vs class A vs AB, etc? Most companies offer tube or solid state and pick one or two amp topologies. Schiit has one of everything. Not saying change this. I love this about Schiit. But you need to come up with help for the entry level users to choose what they will most likely enjoy.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #27,454 of 151,180
at least make the numbers (symbols too) easier to identify on all Schiit gear in dim lighting.

Braille on the buttons opens a new market AND addresses this problem.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #27,455 of 151,180
I can see simplifying the product line from a manufacturing perspective or retiring some models that sell slow but the Schiit line up is a great line up and one of the reasons they are where they are today. I say retire as others are updated but the range of product up and down is a big plus. Lower price points gets new customers who then later on move up the Schiit chain.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #27,456 of 151,180
$_35.JPG
+
6c4b81a7-aa1d-4817-b0c8-1ac0fb06972f.jpg
=

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

Or risk the wrath of my minions...

hulk02-07.jpg

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #27,458 of 151,180
Mainly that complexity seems manageable for a long, long time…and then it explodes and eats you alive.
The story of my 2017, which I'm just barely extracting myself from (I finally understand quicksand).

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #27,459 of 151,180
So the internal optical drive on my 2009 iMac is basically nonfunctional. I'm curious what the consensus pick is for external (USB) optical drive. I'm looking at the current retina 5k, but of course it doesn't have a disc drive. And, you know, I have historical recordings of Wagner performances from the silver age.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #27,460 of 151,180
So the internal optical drive on my 2009 iMac is basically nonfunctional. I'm curious what the consensus pick is for external (USB) optical drive. I'm looking at the current retina 5k, but of course it doesn't have a disc drive. And, you know, I have historical recordings of Wagner performances from the silver age.

If you intend to use the disk reader to rip CD's to your hard drive, this is a nice inexpensive option: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Ultr...513412774&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+disk+reader

(I have one).

Dec 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #27,462 of 151,180
My Eitr just shipped, basically 1 week from when I ordered it. It should be to me in the next week.

I'm very pleased to be getting my Christmas present to myself before Christmas.

Thanks Jason and everyone at Schiit. I can't wait to use between my MicroRendu and Gumby. It will replace a Wyred (so I'll now be going Coax into Gumby).

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #27,463 of 151,180
My Eitr just shipped, basically 1 week from when I ordered it. It should be to me in the next week.

I'm very pleased to be getting my Christmas present to myself before Christmas.

Thanks Jason and everyone at Schiit. I can't wait to use between my MicroRendu and Gumby. It will replace a Wyred (so I'll now be going Coax into Gumby).

Congrats! You will definitely hear an improvement I believe. I did not replace a Wyrd in my setup, but I have also tried Eitr between microRendu and Gumby with great results - next-level sound from the mR/Gumby combo.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #27,464 of 151,180

Check for guides online to build yourself a Hackintosh tower with a 4k display. Best of both worlds; easy to repair/replace the components yourself and much cheaper than an iMac with more horsepower. Of course, it won't be as sleek as an iMac, but at least you're not stuck ditching the whole thing to upgrade a major component, like the screen, processor, or gpu.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #27,465 of 151,180
Plextor, if you can find one, pay any price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back